clunking sound only when turn right - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > clunking sound only when turn right

Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREEThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 12-02-2014, 10:04 AM   #1
Maxim09
2005 WK 

clunking sound only when turn right

Guys need help, (front left) having clunking sound only when turning right, straight or left is perfect only when turning right - sound like really bad bearing but when straight and left it silence any idea? i think it could be outer parts of the shaft, but its only when right, should it making sound in any direction? (144k km QD2 5.7)

Maxim09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2014, 01:13 PM   #2
wookiee
Bought, not built.

2007 WK 

I had similar noise. Was a missing bolt off the engine skid plate.
07 Steel Blue Overland CRD QDII | Bilsteins | 4xguard Matrix | Rear SRT8 SwayBar | DashHawk w/egt | Provent MBRP XP Exhaust | New Intake Tube & Seal + EHM | Alternator Splash Guard | Crank Sensor | GPS AL InMotion Hack | Swirl motor bypass | Blue WK Club Member #13 | 100,000 Mile Club | Dogpiled Club | pre-N23 FDCM |
wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2014, 10:16 PM   #3
maloj2003wj
2006 WK 

I have the same issue, but when turning left. I replaced driver side ball joint, and cv axle, the noise got better but still there. Another weird thing is that if i turn my steering wheel about half of a turn to the left, and wiggle it there is also some sort of noise, right now im thinking its rack and pinion related. It all sounds like a ball joint on a pot hole. Obviously there is also noise when hitting the bump stop, but this noise occurs before that.
Unread 12-03-2014, 08:14 PM   #4
Maxim09
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maloj2003wj View Post
I have the same issue, but when turning left. I replaced driver side ball joint, and cv axle, the noise got better but still there. Another weird thing is that if i turn my steering wheel about half of a turn to the left, and wiggle it there is also some sort of noise, right now im thinking its rack and pinion related. It all sounds like a ball joint on a pot hole. Obviously there is also noise when hitting the bump stop, but this noise occurs before that.
stabilizer bar bushings, lower control arms rear bushings, strut mounts - only 1 problem "lower control arms rear bushing" can't get oem only with arm like a set, if auto-market - i fished around - only oem and Taiwan making inner parts just rubber, all others making with tube - that #%%t does squeaks on bumps, only 1 solution - weld-it, oem arms each 750$ its not crazy (ebay with shipping ~600$ to my place)

with my problem im looking on it over a 20k km and its stay the same and not louder, i dont know what to do with it - idk what is that and its stupid - when you reversing - there no sound
Unread 12-03-2014, 08:17 PM   #5
Maxim09
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiee View Post
I had similar noise. Was a missing bolt off the engine skid plate.
re-torqued all front suspension, sound stay the same
Unread 12-03-2014, 08:24 PM   #6
HTHM
2007 WK 

I had the same, it was a wheel bearing assembly
HTHM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2014, 07:23 AM   #7
maloj2003wj
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxim09 View Post
stabilizer bar bushings, lower control arms rear bushings, strut mounts - only 1 problem "lower control arms rear bushing" can't get oem only with arm like a set, if auto-market - i fished around - only oem and Taiwan making inner parts just rubber, all others making with tube - that #%%t does squeaks on bumps, only 1 solution - weld-it, oem arms each 750$ its not crazy (ebay with shipping ~600$ to my place)

with my problem im looking on it over a 20k km and its stay the same and not louder, i dont know what to do with it - idk what is that and its stupid - when you reversing - there no sound
Both of my LCAs are brand new, MOOG parts from rockauto. I'm running Bwoody links as well. All bushings are in good condition. May be i will check the wheel bearing next.
Unread 12-04-2014, 07:27 AM   #8
maloj2003wj
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTHM View Post
I had the same, it was a wheel bearing assembly
The reason why i don't think its a wheel bearing though, is because if it was it would make noise no matter which direction you turn or go straight.
Unread 12-04-2014, 08:09 AM   #9
HTHM
2007 WK 

That is how mine was before it failed. Let your mechanic diagnose it.
HTHM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2014, 08:14 AM   #10
Maxim09
2005 WK 

well, i spoke yesterday with chrysler mechanic and guys said:"it could be any of moving parts most like its a bearing- because sound coming only when car is moving and angled apposite of normal direction- bearing under stress and grounded only that aria where it has damage that's why i can't hear it at any other direction" - i think he's right it can be a bearing, but here no 100% answer...
Unread 12-04-2014, 09:09 AM   #11
Carlson05
2005 WK 

I had a similar problem after i installed a lift kit on mine. Ended being the steering yoke just had to be adjusted.
245:65:17 Cooper AT3's
OME 2.5'' lift w/bilstein 4600 struts.
Carlson05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2014, 09:41 AM   #12
Maxim09
2005 WK 

i point i learn after deal with chrysler product- it's a mystery box on a wheels - never know when and what can go wrong - and how to fix it after
Unread 12-12-2014, 04:46 AM   #13
unobtanium
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxim09 View Post
i point i learn after deal with chrysler product- it's a mystery box on a wheels - never know when and what can go wrong - and how to fix it after
Very true. You get awesome performance when it works, and it sucks when it doesn't. Total gambler's ride. Right now, I'm winning, as all the issues with mine are either not worth messing with, or fixed. Enjoying it...for today.
Unread 12-12-2014, 07:51 AM   #14
Cordova
2005 WK 

Hey guys, first post. I'm getting the same type of noise on my freshly purchased WK. It's usually when I'm turning through bumps. I can do it on command by swerving hysterically left and right while slowly going over a speed bump or up a driveway.
Cordova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2014, 08:25 PM   #15
maloj2003wj
2006 WK 

found this..

http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...-popping-noise)

Gonna attempt this tomorrow, if i find that weird torx socket somewhere.

I was also at globex today they changed all the tie rods, and the whole front end looks pretty stiff... so hopefully this will solve it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.