Clunking in Reverse/1st gear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Clunking in Reverse/1st gear

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Unread 01-14-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
timfik
2005 WK 

Clunking in Reverse/1st gear

I've got an '05 WK 4.7L and when shift into reverse, it takes a second for it to engage and when I press on the acceleratior I get a weird clunking and it feels like the steering is beginning to lock up then all of a sudden there is one big clunk and it all runs fine. The same thing will happen when shifting into drive. The transmission was already replaced around 99,000 miles. I'm thinking it may be the transfer case or possibly the rear differential. Any ideas?

timfik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
DerekL

Does your front drive shaft move up and down when you shift out of park? If so that may be the differential isolator bushing.
DerekL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
Valpacer

2007 WK 

^^^^^^^^^^^

x2

Dave
2007 WH Grand Cherokee CRD (Yup, RHD Australia)- 3" Exhaust, GDE Flash Tune, CRDSTU/SL Hybrid Lift & bash Plates, 4xGuard Rock Rails, Saguaro F & R Bars, RCV's, Warn 9.5cti-s, AEV Saverge Rims, Nitto Mud Grapplers, Snorkel, Custom Rear Drawers, On Board Air, BullyDog Monitor, Dual Batteries - Build Thread - YouTube Vids
Valpacer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clunking noise , transfer case , transmission

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.