Clunk sound when turning... HELP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Clunk sound when turning... HELP

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 08-14-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
TokenBlackJeep
2006 WK 

... My jeep has been making a clunk sound when I turn RIGHT ever since I got my RC lift kit installed... The mechanic said it was nothing to worry about and that the new height of the Jeep may have placed two pieces of metal together...

Also when I'm parked and crank the wheel to the right I can hear the sound...

But I just learned something today also... When I'm going straight and mash the pedal to the floor I hear the sound also...

So any ideas?

I also have 1.5 Spidertrax spacers w/ 255/65/17 BFG tires. Could any of that play a role?

Thanks

Unread 08-14-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
jebo0420
2006 WK 

Not sure, but i remember reading about an adjustment screw on the rack that seemed to be the culprit of the clunk for a lot of guys. Do a search
jebo0420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 07:02 PM   #3
TokenBlackJeep
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebo0420
Not sure, but i remember reading about an adjustment screw on the rack that seemed to be the culprit of the clunk for a lot of guys. Do a search
By rack what are you referring to?

And thanks.
Unread 08-14-2013, 07:05 PM   #4
jebo0420
2006 WK 

Steering rack. Rack and pinion
jebo0420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
audiophonicz
2007 WK 

2" BB? Check the steering knuckle towers arent touching the top of the swaybar link. When i put the BB on mine the tower would just barely catch he washer on the bolt for the top link. The pop I heard was it pushing the link and slipping by. You would see markings on the side of the tower if that was it.

the steering rack as stated above has caused some people clunking when a little loose. Theres a thread on it here.

Also another thread where the guy didnt bottom out the top strut cylinder bolt and it was just enough play to cause a clunk.
audiophonicz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #6
yzjwk
2005 WK 

I would guess inner or outter tie rods or steering rack nut as stated above .
differential bushings are famous for going bad too. does it clunk shifting from P-R or D and back again ?
you should lie under and look/listen while someone turns the wheel .
2010 MK Patriot
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 12:19 AM   #7
TokenBlackJeep
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzjwk
I would guess inner or outter tie rods or steering rack nut as stated above .
differential bushings are famous for going bad too. does it clunk shifting from P-R or D and back again ?
you should lie under and look/listen while someone turns the wheel .
No clunks when shifting info any gears... I can create the sound by rotating the steering wheel right even by an inch... Example. Rotate right (clank) rotate some more (clank)... Or if I rock the steering wheel it will clank, clank, clank... But it makes no sounds when I turn to the left. But like I just noticed when I'm going straight and I gas It hard from any low speed I hear the sound too.
Unread 08-15-2013, 07:38 AM   #8
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokenBlackJeep View Post
No clunks when shifting info any gears... I can create the sound by rotating the steering wheel right even by an inch... Example. Rotate right (clank) rotate some more (clank)... Or if I rock the steering wheel it will clank, clank, clank... But it makes no sounds when I turn to the left. But like I just noticed when I'm going straight and I gas It hard from any low speed I hear the sound too.
you need to jack up the front so the tire is just off the ground ( i like to do it 1 at a time for isolation) and wiggle the tire sharply left to right by hand and listen/look for a pop from the tie rods (you should be able to replicate your sound ) . While the tires up , you can stick a crow bar under the tire and pull up and listen to hear if the ball joints pop ( not that i think it's ball joints , but you have it up anyways )
I would check out this thread too http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/t...d-pop-1421373/

Good luck
2010 MK Patriot
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.