clunk 2007 crd - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > clunk 2007 crd

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
afss
2007 WK 

clunk 2007 crd

What a pita. cant fint the clunk. ive read and searched and cant seem to isolate this problem.

The mechanic has the truck, they cant seem to isolate it yet either. So far sway bar bushings replaced, struts replaced, outer tie rod end on one side replaced as well as a bearing seal and bushing at the front diff.

It doesnt clunk all the time, some drives it will others it wont. when it does it seems to on pretty well every bump. Pretty sure you can feel it when it does it.

The mechanic says he checked the differential mount and its good, says there is a very small amount of play in the rack bushing but very little. Is there any common things that we could be over looking or known hidden causes on these rigs? its starting to become very frustrating and what ever it is cant be good for it but yet we cant find it.

Thanks for any input

afss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 05:57 AM   #2
pietjj04
2008 WK 

Hi, i have also have that very annoing clunk when i go over a bump. Had it with a dealer and they reckon it is because of the fact that i have installed a 2" lift kit on it. They cannot find the cause? I have taken it to another mechanic and we have noticed one of the lower control arm bushes is a bit sad.
I have ordered the $120 bushing kit of EBay at it has arrived on monday.
Removed the passenger side LCA last night. Also ordered new ball joints from USA, still waiting for them.
The suspected bush does not look al that bad once it was off the truck, but will change them out anyway as i have the new kit now.
What i have noticed when the Control arm was on the bench, was that the ball joint have got a fair amount of play on it. It actually makes a clunking noise just pulling it up and down by hand!!! When i can hear the clunk just by hand and not connected the the vehicle, i am thinking that the noise will be much louder and amplified when connected to the framework?? That is my thought anyway!! I hope that this might be it! Once i receive the balljoints i will take it to an engineering shop to press the bushes out on a hydraulic press.
Will keep you posted when the job is completed and test driven!
pietjj04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.