Clicking-Ticking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Clicking-Ticking

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 01-07-2013, 04:12 PM   #1
blank88
2006 WK 

Clicking-Ticking

Hello,

I just bought a 2006 Grand Cherokee Limited with 4.7L V8
And I notice a ticking sound that is coming from the front
Passenger side and is consistent with rpm's. The sound starts
As I start the vehicle and stays as I drive and can be heard at
All rpm's. It has gone away before but doesn't seem to have
A consistent time of when it stops. It's gone silent at idle before
And while driving.

I've read up a little and have seen similar symptoms coming from
An emmisions control system? But they were hearing it from drivers
Side. Don't know if it's the same because mine is definetly from the
Passengers side.

I hope there is enough information there.

Thanks for any help!

blank88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2013, 09:10 AM   #2
LordEnki
2006 WK 

Exhaust manifold leak?
245/65R17 BFG Rugged Trail T/A
LordEnki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
blank88
2006 WK 

Is there a good way other than scent (i dont have a sence of smell) that can help confirm that? Also if it is an exhaust manifold leak how much approximately is that going to set me back? Again thanks for the input it really helps.
blank88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #4
blizzboy283
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordEnki
Exhaust manifold leak?
Quote:
Originally Posted by blank88
Is there a good way other than scent (i dont have a sence of smell) that can help confirm that? Also if it is an exhaust manifold leak how much approximately is that going to set me back? Again thanks for the input it really helps.
It's for sure that. It all depends where you go. It's like a $1000 job at some dealers. I bought all of the parts online and having a mechanic friend I know do it for like $300 or so. He's done this a bunch of times.

Call up some exhaust shops and see what they'll charge. This is very common for our vehicle but some shops have no experience with it.
05 WK LTD 5.7L Hemi QD II Midnight Blue Pearl, Blue WK Club member #30
Intune, AFE Stage 2 CAI, BT Catch Can, Gibson Cat-back, OME HD, 255/75/17 BFG KM1s, 1.25" Spidertrax, LED Interior, Reverse & Tail Lights, 3/4" Grille, Chrome Fuel Door & handles, SRT8 Pedals, Taylor Shorties, XK knob, 4xGuard Front 4 & Rear Diff.
blizzboy283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
notactingmyage
2005 WK 

Another possibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by blank88 View Post
... a ticking sound that is consistent with rpm's....
Are you sure the clicking varies with ENGINE RPM? If so, then I agree with the others that its likely some kind of exhaust issue. However, if it varies directly with VEHICLE SPEED, then have a look at the universal joints on your main driveshaft. One of mine wore out and started clicking at about 85,000 (05 4.7 QTII). And much to my chagrin, I quickly learned that the U joints are not repairable. You have to replace the entire driveshaft assembly to the tune of $1k or so. Good luck!
notactingmyage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
engine , grand cherokee

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.