Clicking/Knocking In Steering - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Clicking/Knocking In Steering

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 08-08-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
jpm6621

Clicking/Knocking In Steering

My 2009 WK has a clicking or knocking sound when i turn the wheel back and forth. You can hear it the most when the car is parked and off. I got underneath and had someone turn the wheel back and forth. The noise seams to be coming from whatever that tube/part is in the center where the tierods connect to. Does anyone know what this part is, i looked up steering components but this was not listed. What i see is the tierod ends and the tierod, then on the other end of the tierod on the inside of the jeep is a boot which then connects to this tube/part where i think the noise is coming from. What's under these boots? Are there no inner tierods on the wk's?

jpm6621 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 07:14 AM   #2
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm6621 View Post
My 2009 WK has a clicking or knocking sound when i turn the wheel back and forth. You can hear it the most when the car is parked and off. I got underneath and had someone turn the wheel back and forth. The noise seams to be coming from whatever that tube/part is in the center where the tierods connect to. Does anyone know what this part is, i looked up steering components but this was not listed. What i see is the tierod ends and the tierod, then on the other end of the tierod on the inside of the jeep is a boot which then connects to this tube/part where i think the noise is coming from. What's under these boots? Are there no inner tierods on the wk's?
Yes there are inner tie rods , i think moog and some others make them . Jeep wants you to replace the whole rack if the inners go which is rediculous .But that's why they're not listed in the parts manual . If you suspect your inners are bad, i would jack the truck up and see if there is any play in the tire to indicate that the outters are bad as well .
good luck .
00 WJ 4.0
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #3
jpm6621

So under the boot on the inside are the inner tierods? And what those connect to is the whole rack? Of course jeep wants you to replace the whole thing. Theres no play in the outers as far as i can tell.
Unread 08-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
audiophonicz
2007 WK 

That tube is the steering rack. Try this:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/t.../#post14221577
audiophonicz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 11:01 AM   #5
yzjwk
2005 WK 

YEP and YEP . Some people have actually had to replace their rack to get rid of the knock. if you do a search for inner tie rods you'll see ,but you can replace just the inners . one more fix for that same type of knock is the adjustment screw on the rack here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/t...d-pop-1421373/
00 WJ 4.0
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #6
jpm6621

Went to the dealer and like yzjwk said, the dealer doesn't even show a part number for inner tie rod ends, not even the outer tie rod ends either. They tell me i'd need to replace the whole rack, but those outer tie rod ends thread on like any other tie rod, my outer tie rod ends are fine right now, it's a clicking inside that rack or possible where this inner tie rod end is suppose to be under that boot. Taking it to a mechanic soon to figure this out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.