Clicking / humming at 40 mph from front end? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Clicking / humming at 40 mph from front end?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdGear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4

Unread 03-28-2014, 07:01 PM   #1
Lean85
2005 WK 

Clicking / humming at 40 mph from front end?

OK,

So I have changed both CV shafts in the front thinking my cv joints were shot well one was but I still have this weird clicking/grinding when I step on it sometimes just typical driving... sounds like a cv but both are new cv shafts are now changed! Also at 40mph I get this hum with a little vibration it goes away soon as I let go of the gas pedal and come back as soon as i give it any gas at all....

checked the U joints on the drive shaft there fine...

could this be the front drive shaft??? It has those goofy cv shafts think its called a rezepa shaft?? its about the only thing I can think of that's bad...

any help or ideas would be very helpful...

05 WK 3.7L Laredo

Lean85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2014, 09:35 PM   #2
JKM
2005 WK 

humming noise might be a bad wheel bearing. Hub don't seem to last
JKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2014, 05:42 AM   #3
Lean85
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKM View Post
humming noise might be a bad wheel bearing. Hub don't seem to last
I forgot to mention....

This Humming noise and clicking noise sounds like its coming under my seat/feet..... thought it might be hub to but it doesnt make noise like a typical bearing more like a whine, also a wheel/hub bearing you could put a load on it like pull left or right and get it to shut up... This is strictly at a certain speed and at that speed will only go away by letting off the gas pedal.

I think only way im gona be able to diagnose it is take the front Drive shaft ( rezepa) out and drive it see if it stops making that damn noise

** I also have changed all the fluids in the front/rear diffs, gearbox and did a tranny filter change **
Unread 03-29-2014, 08:28 AM   #4
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lean85 View Post
I forgot to mention....

This Humming noise and clicking noise sounds like its coming under my seat/feet..... thought it might be hub to but it doesnt make noise like a typical bearing more like a whine, also a wheel/hub bearing you could put a load on it like pull left or right and get it to shut up... This is strictly at a certain speed and at that speed will only go away by letting off the gas pedal.

I think only way im gona be able to diagnose it is take the front Drive shaft ( rezepa) out and drive it see if it stops making that damn noise

** I also have changed all the fluids in the front/rear diffs, gearbox and did a tranny filter change **
This does sound like a front drive shaft issue. Don't know what style you have as the WKs tend to vary in front shaft design in terms of ujoints vs cv joints and/or a combination. You probably ought to pull the front shaft and inspect the joints at the tcase and diff ends but to my knowledge non of the WK packages are operable without both drive shafts in place.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2014, 01:39 PM   #5
Lean85
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
This does sound like a front drive shaft issue. Don't know what style you have as the WKs tend to vary in front shaft design in terms of ujoints vs cv joints and/or a combination. You probably ought to pull the front shaft and inspect the joints at the tcase and diff ends but to my knowledge non of the WK packages are operable without both drive shafts in place.
Thanks for the heads up about having the front shaft in... Its a quadraTrac 1 set up shaft with cv's on either end. im pretty sure its my problem, I held the brake pedal down and gave it some gas to see if the chain would spin or make noise in the gear box and it didnt but soon as I went down the road from putting all that power while holding the brake now the cv's on the shaft are clicking really bad lol...

anyone know were to pick one up or is there a rebuild kit for these you cant buy them at a local parts store found that out lol.... We have a local axle shop not to far from here think I might try to get it rebuilt if that's possible, a friend that owns a shop said liberty's and jack up jeeps blow these easily and there not cheap.
Unread 04-19-2014, 07:11 AM   #6
Lean85
2005 WK 

So this was the front drive shaft, The CV was cooked at the TC end... The U-Joint is Non serviceable which is a joke mine is starting to get tired but not to bad... once I changed the CV on the shaft, she runs excellent quiet no clicking no humming at 30-40mph

U joint still ticks me off that its Non Service...

If you need a CV joint someone gave me a link which is below its 45 bucks and super easy to install there is 6 x 8mm Bolts on the CV end and 4 x 15mm bolts on the U-joint end... you half to take the Crossmember down which just take the 4 x 16mm bolts on both sides (left and right side of jeep) out put a jack under the middle of the member and lower till you can slide your shaft out... took about 1hr..

Link to Front drive shaft CV replacment:
https://www.driveshaftparts.com/cv-j...-cv-joint-kit/

Last edited by Lean85; 04-19-2014 at 07:25 AM..

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.