Chrome trim removal? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Chrome trim removal?

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 06-08-2014, 07:24 PM   #1
sheepdog918
2007 WK 

Chrome trim removal?

Any idea on how removal is for chrome mirror caps and door handles are? I really don't think the door handles will be that big of deal, but how is the chrome mirror caps attached?

sheepdog918 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2014, 05:04 AM   #2
caulk04
2008 WK 

I don't think these ever came stock with chrome mirror or door handle caps, so they're likely just taped on aftermarket JCWhitney crap.
Unread 06-09-2014, 11:56 AM   #3
sheepdog918
2007 WK 

Well the door handles I'm almost positive are just stuck on there no problem with them, but the mirror caps seem solid on there, can't get them to even bend up so I can look underneath them I didn't know if they came screwed on or what the deal is
Unread 06-09-2014, 08:06 PM   #4
CavallinoRed
2006 WK 

I'm guessing you have something like this held on with 3M tape https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWBlxKgY-98

Might try heating the cover up with a hot air gun to see if you can get the adhesive to release. I would be concerned over damage to the paint underneath so....Good luck!
CavallinoRed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2014, 09:23 AM   #5
robpp

some early overland ones came with chrome caps/

not many though.

the mirrors are most likely NOT painted underneath the chrome but just black plastic...still could get damaged just not as easily as paint.

get some wd-40 or googone sprayed under there for a few days and then a blow dryer heat....not heat gun. and PULL or use a trim stick to pull on it little at a time.

but as said be prepared for damage underneath.,

alternative would be to scuff the chrome and paint it or plastidip/
Rob 007 Laredo 4.7 FFV 27X; DeBadg'd; Zaino'd; SRT8 Grill, Pedals, Strut; ClearBra; WeatherTech; LED Reverse; HIR Hi/Lo; SS Fog; Stealth Turns; 15% Tint; Stubbie; Rear Spoiler; Magnaflow; V1; 22Elite Console/Visors; Body Kit; Color Match Everything; TintedTails; K&N 63; Front Skid; QuickOilDrainValve; BatteryTender; SuperChips 91; Bilstein; Billet Window Switches; Greasable Addco Sways; RamMedic Hood; Fastman TB; BWoody Links; Kicker Upgrade w/Single Sub; AVIC F90BT Hacked; NeffyWrap ABCD; Putco LEDs; Viper 20s w/255/50; R1 Slot/Dimple w/Hawk Pro Ceramic; Whistler Mod w/FlashTech Halos
robpp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2014, 10:09 PM   #6
sheepdog918
2007 WK 

I'll probably just try to ease it off and say if it happened to be painted and damaged Ill just scuff it up and paint it then, I'm really not a fan of chrome just makes it look really tacky IMO
Unread 06-11-2014, 06:01 PM   #7
sheepdog918
2007 WK 

Update on the trim-was able to remove the trim on the door handles without problem, just a little patience and citric cleaner, no damage was gonna attempt to remove the mirror caps but got rained out so looks like a project for tomorrow!
Unread 06-11-2014, 07:43 PM   #8
sheepdog918
2007 WK 

Well I just removed the mirror covers, those surprisingly were easier, no damage and looks great! Thanks for all advice guys you helped me out a lot!!!
Unread 08-23-2014, 11:22 PM   #9
Xmind
2007 WK 

It wasn't until this thread a few months ago that I realized the "chrome" trim on my door handles was aftermarket. I always thought it was weird that the only shiny trim that Jeep would put on the vehicle is the door handles. Anyway, finally got some time to remove it. Just a couple tips for anyone else attempting this:

Tools:
Heat gun/hair dryer
Tar/GooGone/whatever auto safe sticky remover
plastic trim remover/scrapper (I used this: http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece...set-67021.html)
Paper towels/rags

At least for the door handle pieces, all the adhesive is on one strip on the front of the cover. So just put a pry bar on the edge of the trim piece and start applying heat with gentle pressure on the plastic pry tool (see attached picture). As the trim gets enough heat it will start to deform and you can press the tool along as you move the heat gun down.

Once off, scrap/rub whatever you can without putting too much effort into it. Then douse the foam adhesive with your Bug and Tar remover (that's what I used as it was safe for auto paint). Let it sit for a few minutes and scrap off what comes off easily. I had to rinse and repeat about 3 times to get it all off each side, but while one was soaking, I was pulling off another. A little elbow grease, but not too bad with the tar remover....made it much less painful than without it.
imag0103-800x452-.jpg

Unread 08-24-2014, 01:46 AM   #10
sheepdog918
2007 WK 

When I took mine off a really good strong citric cleaner helped me out, soak the adhesive tape that they were stuck to and it peeled right off, then I just took a little elbow grese to remove the residue, then a trip to car wash and some really good pressure washing on it got it to come the rest of the way off and I highly recommend the scraper as I was to impatient and used a flat head screwdriver, it worked but it nicked a couple of places, but patience is the main thing don't rush it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.