Chirping in my Front End - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Chirping in my Front End

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSpiderwebshade @ JeepHut.com

Unread 02-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #1
Osboy1
1998 ZJ 

Chirping in my Front End

Dear Hive Mind,

I have an 06 WK Laredo, with 155K miles. I replaced a seized caliper on the front driver's side along with the rotor, pads and the hub bearing assembly. I also replaced the rotor, pads, caliper, and hub bearing assembly on the passenger side. I ran out of daylight before I could get to the differential fluid change.

It drives MUCH better now, not pulling to the side and no scraping from caliper, and also accelerates and of course brakes much better.

However, now I get a chirping / squealing sound in the driver's side, but only when turning right, above 10mph or when turning very sharp.

Due to the noise of the sticking caliper scraping / pads squealing I can't tell if the sound was there before. I will say that hubs were badly rusted to the knuckle, and the driver side hub was scraping when i turned it by hand.

Could the extra heat / resistance plus all the rust have damged the CV joint in the axle?

Thanks everyone!

Unread 02-24-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
Speedymcracer01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osboy1 View Post
Dear Hive Mind,

I have an 06 WK Laredo, with 155K miles. I replaced a seized caliper on the front driver's side along with the rotor, pads and the hub bearing assembly. I also replaced the rotor, pads, caliper, and hub bearing assembly on the passenger side. I ran out of daylight before I could get to the differential fluid change.

It drives MUCH better now, not pulling to the side and no scraping from caliper, and also accelerates and of course brakes much better

However, now I get a chirping / squealing sound in the driver's side, but only when turning right, above 10mph or when turning very sharp.

Due to the noise of the sticking caliper scraping / pads squealing I can't tell if the sound was there before. I will say that hubs were badly rusted to the knuckle, and the driver side hub was scraping when i turned it by hand.

Could the extra heat / resistance plus all the rust have damged the CV joint in the axle?

Thanks everyone!
When you put your pads on did you grease the calipers first
Speedymcracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 09:07 PM   #3
Speedymcracer01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedymcracer01 View Post

When you put your pads on did you grease the calipers first
Your cv joints shouldnt chirp if worn they pop
Unread 02-24-2013, 09:29 PM   #4
Osboy1
1998 ZJ 

I used the blue caliper grease...but i will readily admit that I did a much better job on the passenger side.

I will try re-greasing them, and doing not only the backs of the pads but also the tabs that slide in the clips.

I brought up CV joint because in my ZJ when the driver's side U-Joint went out, it made the tires chirp on that side.

However this does not sound like tires chirping, it sounds like metal on metal.
Unread 02-24-2013, 09:37 PM   #5
dsjr2006
2006 WK 

Dust shield behind the rotor? I bent mine once and had this problem

05-08 WK Service Manual PDF: [url]http://bit.ly/VxI9z0[/url]
dsjr2006 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 09:50 PM   #6
Speedymcracer01

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjr2006 View Post
Dust shield behind the rotor? I bent mine once and had this problem
Ive seen the shields do that after a certain speed and when turning wouldnt be a bad idea to check
Unread 02-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #7
Osboy1
1998 ZJ 

Threw the dust shields away... they got bent when i was trying to hammer off the rusty hubs. Also I don't really like them, I've had rocks n stuff get stuck between them and the rotor before.
Unread 02-24-2013, 10:04 PM   #8
Speedymcracer01

Quote:
Threw the dust shields away... they got bent when i was trying to hammer off the rusty hubs. Also I don't really like them, I've had rocks n stuff get stuck between them and the rotor before.
Have you been off road since you did the breaks
Unread 02-24-2013, 10:35 PM   #9
Osboy1
1998 ZJ 

I have not had it off road, sir. I'm going to try re-greasing the backs and the mounting tabs of the brake pads.
Unread 02-24-2013, 10:38 PM   #10
Speedymcracer01

Quote:
I have not had it off road, sir. I'm going to try re-greasing the backs and the mounting tabs of the brake pads.
Giid luxk bud
Unread 02-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #11
Osboy1
1998 ZJ 

Soon as I get home I'll re-grease the pads with the blue grease, and also going to re-torque all the bolts, including the axle nut.

Then I'll report back.

Unread 02-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #12
Osboy1
1998 ZJ 

So it took me a couple days to get to it but today I took the wheel off, re-torqued the axle nut, (with an actual torque wrench this time ) and then I took off the caliper and the pads.

I replaced the clips that came with the caliper with the ones that came with the pads, because one of them looked a little bent on one side. I greased the backs of the pads generously with the blue grease, then I greased the tabs on the pads and the grooves in the clips with more of the grease.

Put everythign back together and now the noise is gone.

Thanks for the help guys!
Unread 03-01-2013, 10:44 AM   #13
mort1mor

HAd a nest of rest breasted toucans under the left a arm, once I shot those with my 12 gauge the noise stopped , try looking for bird droppings if not check pads!!
mort1mor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.