Chief - WK build (slow) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Chief - WK build (slow)

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-17-2010, 07:59 PM   #1
bumzo1
2005 WK 

Chief - WK build (slow)

So I've finally started ordering things for my Wk, Chief, so let the build thread begin!! (cue rocky balboa theme)

(editors note) ***I thought I'd start out by saying that I am a student working with a shoestring budget so this thread is going progress very slowly and is more for documentation so that in 2 years or so I can look back and hopefully have a big long thread like some of the others on here.***

So here is my 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 named Chief. (because its a cherokee, clever right?) It has a 3.7L V6 and QT1. I got it in April 2010 with 70k miles on it. It is completely stock and the base model, it doesn't even have a hitch but it will soon.

So here he is completely stock

To start off my build, today I ordered some front shackles from Saguaro4xcomponents. They should be here mid next week and once I have them installed I'll be able to start hitting some easier trails without worrying too much about getting stuck. Can't wait!

Future mods may include:
- OEM reciever hitch w/ shackle (done)
- 3" OME lift (done)
- 255/75/17 Rubicon Tires (done)
- Rola roof rack and OEM cross bars
- Uniden CB, Firestik, and PA
- OEM fogs in stock location
- OEM skid plates
- Tail light Guards
- 2007+ Laredo side mouldings (done)
- Magnaflow or Flowmaster muffler
(suggestions encourage but keep them cheap!)

I'm going to make sure to update this thread along the way and upload lots of pictures.

Thanks for viewing

Here's a current picture

Khaki WK Club Member #1
bumzo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2010, 08:36 PM   #2
fitbmxseries1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

cant wait to see it all built up! i just picked up a 05 in blue and ordered some tires right away and a 2" lift off ebay. if your looking to save some cash on tires which usualy is the most expensive part of building up a jeep, check out Retread Tires - Buy Retread Tires, Cheap Tires, Off Road Tires, and Retreads Online they are retreads but work great. im doing my build on the cheap end also, i have a wrangler for the offroading but i still want my wk to be capable!
fitbmxseries1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2010, 07:02 PM   #3
bumzo1
2005 WK 

My Shackles arrived about a week after I ordered them from Saguaro and I installed them this weekend. It only took about 2 hours with cleanup for two people to do. The process was pretty strait forward and the instructions are easy to follow. The rivets, though, were the most stressful part. They were a PITA to remove and when we went to reinstall them he rivet gun we had barely worked because it was almost too small. Tt also didn't cut very flush but that was easy to fix with a knife afterwards.

So here it is without the bumper

Then we had to install the hooks themselves

And with the bumper back on, all done

I really like the look of these vs the standard tow hooks and they cost a couple bucks less than oem. All in all I think it turned out really well.

If you can see in the pictures I actually used a zip tie to keep the shackle pin from falling out randomly. My dad originally wanted to use lock tight and get it tightened down as far as he could and I had to explain that the purpose of the shackles is to be able to remove the pin. I thought it was a good compromise and if I ever need to use them I can just cut the zip tie and I'm ready to go

Khaki WK Club Member #1
Unread 09-29-2010, 07:12 PM   #4
bumzo1
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbmxseries1 View Post
cant wait to see it all built up! i just picked up a 05 in blue and ordered some tires right away and a 2" lift off ebay. if your looking to save some cash on tires which usualy is the most expensive part of building up a jeep, check out Retread Tires - Buy Retread Tires, Cheap Tires, Off Road Tires, and Retreads Online they are retreads but work great. im doing my build on the cheap end also, i have a wrangler for the offroading but i still want my wk to be capable!
I can't wait to see it either lol, and thanks for the link. it seems like a great option, almost half the price of brand new. I was planning on doing the lift and tires around christmas time. Depending on the condition of my shocks (71k miles later and I'm still on the original shocks) then I might even spring for the OME lift. Hopefully in a few weeks I'll be adding the hitch now that I feel comfortable taking the bumper off.
Khaki WK Club Member #1
Unread 10-03-2010, 09:34 PM   #5
bumzo1
2005 WK 

bought an OEM rear hitch and bezel from a guy off of JU today for $110 shipped. Hopefully I'll be able to install it next weekend. Once installed I'm going to get a hitch shackle to match the front, any suggestions brand wise? I probably won't use it too often (hopefully) so it doesn't have to be the best in the world. Under $50 would be great, thanks
Khaki WK Club Member #1
Unread 10-04-2010, 02:41 PM   #6
mrJ
2002 KJ Liberty 

look on ebay or the classifieds here. someones always got shackles for sale. good thread. crawled

It's a Jeep, it's not supposed to work right all the time.

Live in Florida? Check out Florida4x4.org!!!
mrJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2010, 09:03 PM   #7
bumzo1
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrJ View Post
look on ebay or the classifieds here. someones always got shackles for sale. good thread. crawled
Thanks I'll have to keep an eye out for them. Hopefully after this I'll be able to take it to some trails and test it out stock before I do anything heavy. It probably won't matter though, I'm already pretty set on adding a lift and some larger tires closer to christmas.
Khaki WK Club Member #1
Unread 10-05-2010, 08:35 AM   #8
2000BB6
2000 XJ Cherokee 

try never seize on the pin thats what i did never came loose but still was able to turn by hand or wrench
Unread 10-09-2010, 11:14 PM   #9
bumzo1
2005 WK 

Hitch just arrived today, I'm going to have to track down some rivets so I probably won't be able to install it until next weekend at the earliest.
Khaki WK Club Member #1
Unread 10-09-2010, 11:22 PM   #10
skeeterbeater
1995 YJ Wrangler 

can't wait to see this get rolling. never see these getting built.
Unread 10-13-2010, 05:25 PM   #11
bumzo1
2005 WK 

Well my Grandpa just died this last weekend :'( and left a decent inheritance. I figured I'd spend about $2k of it on some goodies for the jeep, then put the rest in a savings account until college.

unrelated to that, I may be buying some chrome door guards from a different guy off of JU but I'm not completely sure of its status because the seller is very slow to reply.
Khaki WK Club Member #1
Unread 10-13-2010, 09:20 PM   #12
skeeterbeater
1995 YJ Wrangler 

sorry to hear about you grandpa. keep ya in my prayers.
Unread 10-31-2010, 10:24 PM   #13
smcginnis87
4X4WK

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumzo1 View Post
Well my Grandpa just died this last weekend :'( and left a decent inheritance. I figured I'd spend about $2k of it on some goodies for the jeep, then put the rest in a savings account until college.

unrelated to that, I may be buying some chrome door guards from a different guy off of JU but I'm not completely sure of its status because the seller is very slow to reply.
sorry to here about grandpa i lost mine when i was in 8th grade he was my father figure in my life, but yes please don't spend all of it on cars, i know exactly how it can happen but like you said you will put the rest in a savings account that is a good thing !!
smcginnis87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2010, 05:28 PM   #14
bumzo1
2005 WK 

Someone asked me to post some pictures of my door moldings because they are color matched. I guess its rare So here they are, the mirrors are color matched also.
img_0246.jpg   img_0247.jpg   img_0249.jpg  
Khaki WK Club Member #1
Unread 11-04-2010, 07:47 PM   #15
CmmdrDan

you get that hitch on yet?
CmmdrDan is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.