Check Gas Cap Warning - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Check Gas Cap Warning

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 10-18-2009, 08:01 PM   #1
jdover

Check Gas Cap Warning

I have had this damn check gas cap light haughting me for awhile now. I have bought two different caps and hasn't solved the problem yet. I have reset the computer and got rid of it for a couple days but it is back. I am thinking aftermarket gas caps suck.....I am going to try to hit the junk yard and find an original. Does anyone know how to turn this warning off for good?

jdover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2009, 08:31 PM   #2
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Be aware that the system monitoring the evaporative emissions system (which includes the gas cap, the charcoal canister, purge valve, etc) is "guessing" it's a gas cap based on the volume of the leak. It's entirely possible you could have a leaky hose somewhere in the system that is leaking at the same rate as a typical gas cap leak. Best place to look is at the ends of the hoses where they attach to the charcoal canister or other parts of the system - it's pretty common to find hairline cracks at the hose ends.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2009, 08:41 PM   #3
ROMEO69
2007 XK Commander 

I have gotten the warning once, but it was on a day were there was a a big drop on the tempeture, I have never seen it again...
ROMEO69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2009, 09:07 PM   #4
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

When you put your filler cap back, how tight do you do it?

My wife's 2005 Verona Owner's Manual sez to "click" it 3-5 times to make sure it's tight (we click it once. I don't like to overdo it, and there are people I hear at the filling station who crank the thing down. Once it clicks, it's tight enough. You don't want to break the ratchet - I usually charge $20 to remove it after that.)

Even a new cap won't seal if it's not tight enough. And, your rig probably isn't old enough to have a problem with the EVAP hoses.
Unread 10-19-2009, 05:07 PM   #5
HurriJeff
2013 WK 

Mine was on when I bought it. It turned out to be a disconnected vacuum hose under the Hemi shroud under the hood. The guy who fixed that hose left another one off when he was done. I wanted to see for myself so I took a peek and saw it from the drivers side when I looked under. I took the plastic off and replaced the hose and all was well. If yours is a Hemi, be careful when you take off the plastic cover because it pulls and touches a lot of stuff under there.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #10
Previous Jeeps:
1998 ZJ Special Edition 2wd- Traded
1991 XJ 2.8 2wd Sold
HurriJeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.