Cheapest Place CRD Alternator Purchase - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Cheapest Place CRD Alternator Purchase

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Jeep Wrangler Framless, Bowless, Trektops 92-95 YJ, 97-06 TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 03-20-2011, 05:17 PM   #16
crd_rubicon
2007 WK 

Drewd, I did get the new alternator from Maniac. They were spot on with shipping and the price was obviously right. My alternator was real slow to give up the ghost as it first showed signs of an early death early in Feb. Of course after ordering the replacement the old alternator started working fine again (at least my assumption as no battery light on or charging/starting issues). It finally started getting bad again this past week which led to nearly needing a jump start yesterday and loads of dash light warnings flashing on just as I was headed to my buddies heated garage. After install the warnings lights have gone off. No issues at all. The old alternator has a nice coat of dusty oily residue all over it. The dealership is to blaim for the failure as they were the only one's to change the oil while it was still under warranty. They, of course, won't admit fault. Whatever. Still, I can't understand how they could have been so sloppy to spill any oil in the first place. I changed the oil for the first time a few weeks ago and didn't spill one drop. Oh well. They are the one's that have to deal with their own conscience: ALTERNATOR HOMICIDE!!!

Unread 03-20-2011, 05:26 PM   #17
crd_rubicon
2007 WK 

scootr, my initial signs of failure were the battery light. It started coming on at idle RPMs and would go away as RPMs rose. After a while it stayed on pretty much all the time it was running. I took it in to the dealership to confirm it was the alternator before I sunk a bunch of $$ into a fix that wasn't a cure. But like I said it was a pretty slow death. I could have limped it along for a while longer if I would have put a charger on the battery and only planned short trips with it. Fixed now though, thankfully. Maniac is the best. Saved me at least $300.
Unread 03-20-2011, 06:08 PM   #18
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

OK thanks for the update.....

You know what I saw on my 2010 MB ML350 was a plastic piece that fits around the oil fill...it is obviously there to stop oil from dripping down to the alternator. I actually test fitted it on my Jeep and it works great.

I will try to find out how much it cost....

MB part # is A 642 018 01 80

Pictures attached...this may be way better than the Chrysler piece.

Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2011, 06:55 PM   #19
suzieque
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewd View Post
i drilled a couple of holes and zip tied the splash guard on one side to oen of the a/c coolant lines so it would not go anyway. i didn't like how it snapped on and easily popped off.
how many parts do you have to remove to install the splash shield? just the airbox?
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2011, 08:52 PM   #20
Drewd

even with airbox i can still see the splash guard on the alternator but i think removing the airbox is best to install the splash guard.
Drewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 07:02 AM   #21
Drewd

Post to refresh for forum user who PM'd me asking for help but his inbox is full and it won't take my reply to his alternator replacement questions. I hope he sees this thread.

Scoot, my alternator failure was gradual. It would not charge at idle and eventually the RPMS where charging occured slowly creeped higher until complete failure. I was able to drive it for a while (mostly highway driving at 2700-3000 rpm) until it died.

I can't say enough about maniac electric. I've recommended them here and to other Jeep forums (Jeep Liberty forums)....excellent product, excellent service, and a great price. My rebuilt alternator is still going strong.
Unread 05-30-2013, 03:45 PM   #22
Tuco
2007 WK 

Can I see if my alternator has a shield without removing any parts? I should have done this years ago...
Unread 05-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #23
Drewd

Yes, it is possible to take a peak at it but its been a while so I don't know if you have to remove the airbox to do it. If you are towing and camping, last thing you want is to get stuck in the middle of nowhere hours from civilization.

Tuco: Guess whose travel trailer got a 4 inch lift today? When my wife and I moved back to Colorado we made fun of "redneck" travel trailers that were lifted. We are now one of them and now I won't have to worry about tearing my sewage/grey water lines off or destroying my under carraige when we go dispersed camping. True Colorado travel trailer camper's do not camp with hookups at state parks....they do it in the rugged backcountry ;-)

PS: true campers backpack into the wilderness to camp but that only lasted one summer as my wife prefers a bed, toilet, and a shower....
Unread 05-30-2013, 11:35 PM   #24
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewd View Post
Yes, it is possible to take a peak at it but its been a while so I don't know if you have to remove the airbox to do it. If you are towing and camping, last thing you want is to get stuck in the middle of nowhere hours from civilization.
Yeah!! That is exactly what happened to us last year. We were on a 6500 mile round trip to Michigan and back (lots of side trips and back roads) and our alternator went out.
We were literally out in the middle of nowhere when it finally died. Fortunately, I purchased a spare battery at a small town when I first saw the light quivering and suspected trouble. It was Labor Day Weekend...Ha. Drove to Spokane....three dealers there refused to help us in a timely fashion. We did not want to camp in their parking lot for a week or more so we bought two battery chargers and armed with two batteries and the chargers we drove to Twin Falls Idaho, where a dealer promised to get us going right away. It took us 3 days to get there running on battery power...drive, camp, charge, drive, camp, charge.

The dealer in Twin, was true to his word. He already ordered the part and had it waiting. Fixed the rig in one day and got us on the road. The bill was $800++ bucks but it was covered on extended warranty....except for small shipping charge.

The aforementioned dealers in Spokane said they couldn't find a part anywhere and it would be at least a week, maybe more to get the part, then they could schedule the job. Also, even though we were stranded, they would not give us any priority in scheduling after they got the part.

Here is a photo of us broken down near "Clarkia, Idaho" .... google it!!
dsc_5550_2.jpg  
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2013, 01:22 PM   #25
Tuco
2007 WK 

I lifted my international scout by doing a doing a spring over. Trailer would be interesting.

So if I buy the 8 dollar shield, how long does it take to install?
Unread 05-31-2013, 09:55 PM   #26
Drewd

Not too long. I ended up dripping some holes in mine and zip tying it cuz I didn't like how it felt loose installed. I like the picture of the cap leak guard posted earlier.

I love the lift. It looks great and rides just as before. In fact, we had 50mph cross winds yesterday and at 60mph (traffic wouldn't allow me to go faster) trailer felt just find.

Now I have to get some new tires. I'm hearing good things about the towmasters that Costco sells. Won't get marathons and dont want to spend $$ on Maxxis but the Greenball towmasters seem to have a loyal following. Had 2 tire blowouts several years ago on a single camping trip and won't ever go with that brand again.
Unread 12-30-2013, 03:14 PM   #27
bettervibes11
2008 WK 

Made it all the way to trying to put this thing back together....

How do I get the serpentine belt back on?

Tried a bolting the alternator on first and prying it on..didnt work out. tried putting the belt on first but cant get the alternator back to the bolt holes...

Most serpentine belts have a method to loosen or tighten them like a spring loaded pulley.... am I missing it?

Thanks!

EDIT: Found a tension bolt on the bottom driver side pulley, seems to have given out some slack in the belt. Got IT!

Last edited by bettervibes11; 12-30-2013 at 04:30 PM..
bettervibes11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 03:24 PM   #28
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettervibes11 View Post
Made it all the way to trying to put this thing back together....

How do I get the serpentine belt back on?

Tried a bolting the alternator on first and prying it on..didnt work out. tried putting the belt on first but cant get the alternator back to the bolt holes...

Most serpentine belts have a method to loosen or tighten them like a spring loaded pulley.... am I missing it?

Thanks!
There is a belt adjustor.....I have a picture somewhere if I can find it I will post it tonight...
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2013, 06:12 AM   #29
Radcrd
2007 WK 

You need to release the belt tensioner by pulling it tight and using a pin or allan key to hold it in place. Install the belt then release the tensioner, it is very simple once you know how it works.
3 VW TDI's (sold)
Radcrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.