Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Cheap Mods?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  jpaecorr 
#1 ·
Does anyone know of any really cheap or possibly free mods you can do yourself to get more power responsiveness or mileage out of your 3.7L

#2 ·
Man, you chose the wrong engine for power mods. Power and responsiveness will come from a full exhaust and intake, which isn't cheap.

You won't get much. You have an underpowered V6 in a 5000lb Jeep. You'll probably spend as much money modding the V6 than if you were to trade it in and get a V8. About the same gas mileage as well...

#4 ·
illz302...1st thing you can do is get rid of the paper air filter & put in a K&N
type unit, that wil help with a little better boost & MPG...should cost you around
$35 or so & you never have to replace the unit, just clean it every 8m or so
miles (be sure to buy the cleaner & oil spray with the filter, cost $10...)

#6 ·
:laugh: 2000rpm seems to be the magic number when it comes to gas mileage in Jeeps.
If I keep my ZJ at 2000rpm on the highway, I'll average about 24-25mpg w/ the :bowdown: I6. My friend took it from upstate NH to CT for a Drs appointment, and averaged 22.5mpg highway+city. He kept it around 67-68 on the highway.

My fathers V8 WK gets around 20 at 2000rpm. Of course that's about 65-67mph, and I never go that slow.....

#7 · (Edited)
The adage 'speed kills' really applies to fuel economy.

Remember that the Force of drag goes up with the square of velocity, but you're doing work twice as fast.

Therefore the power needed increases with the cube of the velocity.

For example, if cruising at 50mph only use 10 HP, cruising at 100mph would require 80 HP.

This is because the force of drag quadruples when you double the speed, and you're doing the work twice faster, yielding a power requirement that rises with the cube of velocity.

Of course, a vehicle is complex, and there could be minor efficiency changes as speed changes. Engine friction and rolling resistance are probably higher at 80 than at 65, for instance. But the power needed to push a vehicle through the air is the bulk of the problem.

Wikipedia has a good article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_resistance

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.