Chasing Front Suspension Clunk - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 06-23-2015, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Schlotzky
2007 XK Commander 

Chasing Front Suspension Clunk

I've got a clunk in the front end I've been chasing, but it's so far been elusive. The sound happens particularly when hitting pot holes or manhole covers with one wheel or the other. Any sharp bump that hits only one tire produces the noise. Sharp bumps that both tires hit at the same time, the clunk is lesser. Smooth but large speed bumps taken quickly so as to compress and rebound the suspension does not produce a clunk. I get no clunk when accelerating/decelerating at any rate, but I am somewhat able to reproduce the noise when turning the wheel back and fourth quickly at low speed.

I have replaced the sway bar bushings and end links, shock mounts, shocks, and spring isolators. I have also verified torque in most everything I can find, tightened down the sub frame bolted connections, tightened up the steering rack pinion lash adjuster torx bolt, and torqued down the top bolts on the shocks. Visual inspection of all the bushings and joints looks good, with no more than some minor surface cracking of the rubber on the aft lower control arm bushing.

I'm running larger tires and a 2" puck lift in the front, but the noise has been around since prior to the lift and was unaffected by the lift (I was hoping all the work done at the time would address the clunk as well).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-23-2015, 09:52 PM
modernblueWK
Web Wheeler

How long ago and which sway bar bushings did you replace with?

SOLD 2008 WK 4.7 V8 Build/Adventure Thread
2013 Hemi Durango Crew
2007 Silverado Crewcab LT3
post #3 of 14 Old 06-23-2015, 10:31 PM
Nyland19
2005 WK 

It could be your ball joints as well depending on how many miles you have on them. The clunk I had was from my lower ball joints, changed them out and everything is nice, smooth, and quiet. Worth looking into if you've already changed your swaybar bushings.

Black WK Club #97
post #4 of 14 Old 06-23-2015, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Schlotzky
2007 XK Commander 

The sway bar bushings and end links are Moog, and about 3k miles old. The commander has just over 100k so ball joints may be a consideration. Is there any way to verify this without throwing parts at it?
post #5 of 14 Old 06-24-2015, 12:18 AM
JKM
2005 WK 

Could be sway bushings if you installed the wrong size. Someone posted about similar incident on here just recently.

Easiest way to see if sway related would be to disconnect the end links and take it for a ride. If no clunk then likely the busings. WK use the smaller 1.29" bushing on all models except SRT8. The bigger size is 1.34" so not much of a difference, but enough to cause a clunk.
post #6 of 14 Old 06-24-2015, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Schlotzky
2007 XK Commander 

Thanks for the input so far, guys. My XK Overland has the bigger 1.34" bar, as verified by a set of calipers before the install. I tried going for a test drive with the end links disconnected, and the clunks were louder and more intense.
post #7 of 14 Old 06-24-2015, 06:54 AM
paroxysym
2007 WK 

have you checked your caliper bolts? worn rotors/brake pads can cause a rattle from time to time..

2007.5 WK Laredo 4.7
OEM+
post #8 of 14 Old 06-24-2015, 10:34 AM
board350
2007 WK 

I would love it if you figured this out because I have what sounds like the exact same noise on my WK. If I find something I'll let you know. Someone mentioned that one of the wheel hub bearings could be going but I'm thinking the lower ball joints sound more likely.

2007 WK Limited, 3.0L Mercedes CRD, Quadra Drive II, OME 2.5" HD Lift Mineral Gray Metallic
post #9 of 14 Old 06-26-2015, 08:20 PM
zc911

mine was doing similar, also if i was braking, then released the brake pedal, it would get a small clunk.
I just did both upper control arms (aka new upper ball joints) and all the clunks have gone away.
When i removed the drivers side control arm, the bots were loose enough that the control arm flopped down. The bolts should be tight enough to hold the upper control arm in place when you remove the bolt that holds it to the knuckle. Check those bolts too. You can do this by grabbing the upper control arm and pulling, see if you feel any movement.

www.justaddgrease.com
All cars all the time
post #10 of 14 Old 06-26-2015, 08:41 PM
skersfan12
2006 WK 

Just a thought. You might check your front differential bushings. There are three of them. They are known to going bad.
post #11 of 14 Old 06-29-2015, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Schlotzky
2007 XK Commander 

Is there a way to effectively check the differential or ball joints? Pushing the vehicle to the side so that it wiggles back and fourth from the outside doesn't induce the clunk, and I don't feel any play pulling on the spindle with the Jeep on the ground.

I can only see one of the front differential bushings from the under side, but it looks like it's in decent shape. Wouldn't hard braking or acceleration induce the clunk if this were the case?
post #12 of 14 Old 07-31-2015, 06:47 PM
board350
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlotzky View Post
Is there a way to effectively check the differential or ball joints? Pushing the vehicle to the side so that it wiggles back and fourth from the outside doesn't induce the clunk, and I don't feel any play pulling on the spindle with the Jeep on the ground.

I can only see one of the front differential bushings from the under side, but it looks like it's in decent shape. Wouldn't hard braking or acceleration induce the clunk if this were the case?
X2

2007 WK Limited, 3.0L Mercedes CRD, Quadra Drive II, OME 2.5" HD Lift Mineral Gray Metallic
post #13 of 14 Old 11-21-2015, 10:28 AM
atarijedi
2008 WK 

Quote:
I've got a clunk in the front end I've been chasing, but it's so far been elusive. The sound happens particularly when hitting pot holes or manhole covers with one wheel or the other. Any sharp bump that hits only one tire produces the noise. Sharp bumps that both tires hit at the same time, the clunk is lesser. Smooth but large speed bumps taken quickly so as to compress and rebound the suspension does not produce a clunk. I get no clunk when accelerating/decelerating at any rate, but I am somewhat able to reproduce the noise when turning the wheel back and fourth quickly at low speed.

I have replaced the sway bar bushings and end links, shock mounts, shocks, and spring isolators. I have also verified torque in most everything I can find, tightened down the sub frame bolted connections, tightened up the steering rack pinion lash adjuster torx bolt, and torqued down the top bolts on the shocks. Visual inspection of all the bushings and joints looks good, with no more than some minor surface cracking of the rubber on the aft lower control arm bushing.

I'm running larger tires and a 2" puck lift in the front, but the noise has been around since prior to the lift and was unaffected by the lift (I was hoping all the work done at the time would address the clunk as well).
Did you ever figure out what the noise was? I have a similar issue, not sure if it is a clunk or more of a deep squeek. Sounds are subjective I guess, lol. Anyways, I took it into the shop today, and they told me that the rack is ****ed, and I need a new rack & pinion assembly.
post #14 of 14 Old 11-21-2015, 02:17 PM
Medic80
2005 WK 

Quote:

The front differential has 2 bushings and 1 bracket. You have to get under and remove the belly pan. The bracket and 1 bushing are pretty easy to spot the other is hidden up top. One of the easiest ways to tell if they are warn is to simply look at the rubber insert, they get old, brittle and they eventually tear. Also if you have excessive movement in the diff and get a "clunk" when shifting from R-N-D.

#6 1
#14 2

screenshot_2015-11-21-11-19-54-1.jpg

screenshot_2015-11-21-11-20-08-1.jpg

To check the ball joints, Jack the front wheels up off the ground enough to fit a pry bar under the tire... lift up on the pry bar, look for any play in the ball joints and listen for a metal "click"

Medic80|05 Larado|Black Crystal Pearl|4.7L|1.5" RC's|Saharas|255/70/18 Dueler ATs|Black WK Member 79

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.