changing trans fluid on W5A580 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > changing trans fluid on W5A580

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 05-27-2008, 01:10 PM   #1
stgry1
2006 WK 

changing trans fluid on W5A580

I guess my ?? is this. No dipstick on these trannies. Tech reference says 4-6qt capacity needed on service. Has anyone serviced these themselves and if so, what did you do on fluid amounts? I can drop the pan and "guess" on the amount...but I don't really like that choice. I may just put in 4 qts and go to the dealer and have them 'stick' it to see if I'm low. I'm sure I won't be over. Thoughts??

06 Silver Laredo
mopar bug shield, rear mopar air deflector, K&N drop in w/ modified OEM air intake, 08 Gladiator wheels w/ 255/60/18s.
stgry1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2008, 01:48 PM   #2
jeepgaffer
2006 WK 

Yeah...I hate this 'closed system.' Allegedly, the dealer only can check the fluid level (due to it needing to be checked at a strict temperature, or something). Thanks, Jeep!
Unread 05-27-2008, 01:58 PM   #3
merlinTec

Hi
I believe dash hawk or some other after market monitor with tell you trans temp (needs to be in drive or reverse or it shows engine temp( well star scan does)) then all you need it a plastic stick with 10mm notches and away you go. I will post the temp/oil level chart should you want it.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 05-27-2008, 02:09 PM   #4
jeepgaffer
2006 WK 

So, take a plastic stick that will fit in the tube, and make marks/notches on it every 10mm, starting from the bottom? Could a dipstick from the other WK tranny work?

Post that info, please!

Thanks!
Unread 05-27-2008, 03:48 PM   #5
stgry1
2006 WK 

Welp, I was JUST at the dealer 2 weeks ago and they replaced the infamous leaking "sensor o-ring" and topped off the system. My thoughts now are that the level is correct so If I can get my hands on a stick that will make it down to the bottom of the pan, I'm in business. Then I can post where it should be on the stick and which to use etc. Let me know if you agree Merlin. Thanks!
06 Silver Laredo
mopar bug shield, rear mopar air deflector, K&N drop in w/ modified OEM air intake, 08 Gladiator wheels w/ 255/60/18s.
Unread 05-27-2008, 04:31 PM   #6
sabre364
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stgry1 View Post
Welp, I was JUST at the dealer 2 weeks ago and they replaced the infamous leaking "sensor o-ring" and topped off the system. My thoughts now are that the level is correct so If I can get my hands on a stick that will make it down to the bottom of the pan, I'm in business. Then I can post where it should be on the stick and which to use etc. Let me know if you agree Merlin. Thanks!
Did you ask them to check the ring or did they just notice a little leak? From what I've been reading on here, the leak is almost barely noticeable, certainly not enough to drip onto the blacktop below the vehicle.
sabre364 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2008, 04:54 PM   #7
merlinTec

Quote:
Hi
You will need something to read the trans temp.
Unread 05-27-2008, 05:03 PM   #8
----

Merlin is correct. The DashHawk will read trans. temp. (although 2.5 BETA FOUR fails to do so) on almost every version. The temperature is only displayed when engaged in a drive gear.
---- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2008, 05:04 PM   #9
johnniebravo
2008 WK 

check out this link, it even has a link for the dipstick and i think it is around 70 dollars. Someone even used the dodge ram 5.9L dipstick with some success.

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/per...-dipstick.html

dipstick
http://www.wyckoffchryslerparts.com/troillechto.html

temp chart for those with a 5.7L
http://www.300cforums.com/forums/att...k-untitled.jpg
Unread 05-27-2008, 06:36 PM   #10
CEPCNC
2005 WK 

My dealership actually called me up a few months after I bought it from them and told me I needed to bring it in so they could perform the fix for the 0-ring TSB. I was impressed then, but now their service sucks if I get in contact with anyone else but this guy named Jon at the service counter.

Tomorrow morning I'm going in at 7am to have them look at a re-occuring problem with my gauge cluster/control panel. It's been faultless since February.
CEPCNC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2008, 07:34 PM   #11
stgry1
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabre364 View Post
Did you ask them to check the ring or did they just notice a little leak? From what I've been reading on here, the leak is almost barely noticeable, certainly not enough to drip onto the blacktop below the vehicle.
No, I had brought it in for leak. I noticed the pan "sweating". I also complained about the slow gear engagement but couldn't get them to do the bulletin for the oil cooler return. I was hoping they would, then I would have just paid extra for the filter and service would be done!
Regardless, you guys keep mentioning trans temp? What I don't get is if it's at NOT in park, why couldn't you get an accurate readin on the stick?? I realize when cold it will read diff, but when warm? What am I missing?
06 Silver Laredo
Unread 05-28-2008, 05:36 AM   #12
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No, I had brought it in for leak. I noticed the pan "sweating". I also complained about the slow gear engagement but couldn't get them to do the bulletin for the oil cooler return. I was hoping they would, then I would have just paid extra for the filter and service would be done!
If you are referring to the oil cooler return filter TSB, then there's a good reason why they didn't do it - it only applies to the 545RFE trans. I gather from you initial post you have a 3.7L A580 combo....
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2008, 05:52 AM   #13
tednelson83
1993 ZJ 

thats interesting, i just got gas today, and i checked all my fluids, including the tranny. i have the w5a580 tranny too, and mine has a dipstick. did they change it after 05? or was this one of the changes to rental cars?
Liberalism stems from the notion that it's entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
tednelson83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2008, 07:19 AM   #14
merlinTec

Hi
No you shouldn't have a dip stick.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 05-28-2008, 08:26 AM   #15
stgry1
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJP77 View Post
If you are referring to the oil cooler return filter TSB, then there's a good reason why they didn't do it - it only applies to the 545RFE trans. I gather from you initial post you have a 3.7L A580 combo....
Chris, your right. I guess I overlooked that one. Dang.
06 Silver Laredo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.