Changing out the UCAs - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Changing out the UCAs

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearUCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, Yu

Unread 10-17-2012, 09:04 AM   #16
hoaxci5
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
Nice, welcome to the East Coast. I'd love to hit RC but that's the only day I have an opportunity to work on the Jeep. Coaching sucks up all my time. Right now football and wrestling season are overlaping so I have no days off at all.

BTW are you still rockin the beard???
It sounds like Matt and some others try to get to RC once every 2 months so you'll have to get there sometime with tuj group.

Always rockin a beard, just trimmed up now..

Unread 10-18-2012, 04:25 PM   #17
Budasac
2005 WK 

Wow, I ordered my UCAs from JBA today and I just received an a-mail from UPS saying they would be here tomorrow by 6pm. (I payed for 3 day ship BTW)
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #18
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
Wow, I ordered my UCAs from JBA today and I just received an a-mail from UPS saying they would be here tomorrow by 6pm. (I payed for 3 day ship BTW)
Awesome, Buda! So we can expect a write-up on WK UCA swap by end of the weekend?

Seriously though - if you have time I would love to see a write-up once you're done with any tips, tricks, or road-blocks.

Good luck with the swap-out!

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #19
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Do you need new tie rods?
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2012, 06:03 PM   #20
Budasac
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Awesome, Buda! So we can expect a write-up on WK UCA swap by end of the weekend?

Seriously though - if you have time I would love to see a write-up once you're done with any tips, tricks, or road-blocks.

Good luck with the swap-out!
It will be done next weekend. Having some friends over Sat for a party. Plus I still need to get the lower BJs and the strut fork bushings. I'll try to take pics as I go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr29 View Post
Do you need new tie rods?
Don't think so.
Unread 10-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #21
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac

It will be done next weekend. Having some friends over Sat for a party. Plus I still need to get the lower BJs and the strut fork bushings. I'll try to take pics as I go.

Don't think so.
Just saying it may be good to get new ones and just get an alignment done........
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
Unread 10-18-2012, 07:22 PM   #22
Budasac
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr29 View Post
Just saying it may be good to get new ones and just get an alignment done........
They actually will be about the only thing left up front to replace since I did the sway bushings and end links a few weeeks ago. I'm not gonna go for an alignment right away. My tires are almost shot so I think I'm gonna wait a bit and do it when I get the new shoes.
Unread 10-19-2012, 05:22 AM   #23
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

Your alignment is going to be ridiculously far off after those control arms. Make sure you at least try adjusting camber and toe yourself (use a level & tape measure)
Unread 10-19-2012, 06:15 AM   #24
Budasac
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk1er18 View Post
Your alignment is going to be ridiculously far off after those control arms. Make sure you at least try adjusting camber and toe yourself (use a level & tape measure)
I'll have to see how it goes. If it's that far off I may just get the tie rods and an alignment and be done with it. Then the whole front end will be like new again. As it is every thing feels pretty tight when driving, it's just that I had that dam clunk and had to start snooping around.
Unread 11-10-2012, 07:24 PM   #25
Budasac
2005 WK 

Just to update:

As has been reported by some others, my new JBA UCAs contact the steering knuckle when the Jeep is on uneven footing.

I contacted JBA and was waiting for a response before posting. I got an E-mail from customer service with a return ship label. I also got an E-mail from Marlin. After discussing it a bit it turns out his Jeeps all have 6"+ lifts while most people are running 2"-3" lifts. So I'm going to help him possibly design a new set better suited for those of us with an OME or BB lift. I sent him my alignment specs, pics, and measurements for lower cam adjustments.

I know a number of people have said they were hesitant to buy because of this potential issue. Hopefully this clears everything up.

I'll post updates.
forumrunner_20121110_202342.jpg   forumrunner_20121110_202455.jpg  
Unread 11-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #26
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Mine barely hit.....wonder if jba will replace mine as well?
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
Unread 11-10-2012, 08:16 PM   #27
Budasac
2005 WK 

I doubt they'll take back previous sales but who knows. I would wait to see what comes of this and if they list "New Improved" UCAs on their site then contact them and inquire.
Unread 11-10-2012, 09:10 PM   #28
BAH101
2008 WK 

It will be curious to see what happens.
Unread 11-11-2012, 02:16 AM   #29
YB Normyl
2008 WK 

I mounted the balljoints on the underside of the JBA's which seemed to add a little more clearance but they still contact the strut, just not as soon. Maybe someone could make custom balljoint relocating plates or offset balljoints.
YB Normyl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2012, 02:35 AM   #30
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Good to hear! Let's see if he actually corrects the issue this time around. This being the second time they will be "revised" for this issue. You should also get someone with the OME HD lift to send in specs too, seeing as though that is the most common combo that has issues because of the larger coils.

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.