Changing out the front pinion seal and right side seal on the transfer case? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Changing out the front pinion seal and right side seal on the transfer case?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 01-16-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
LelandGray
2005 WK 

Changing out the front pinion seal and right side seal on the transfer case?

My '05 WK is leaking fluid, and when I had it at the stealership they said the front pinion seal needed to be replaced and the right side seal on the transfer case needs to be replaced.

I've already looked into changing out the pinion seal, and I think I've determined it's not something I should try in my garage, simply because I don't think I'll be able to torque the pinion nut correctly.

So, my question is this.. if I take it to a shop for the seals to get replaced, do they drain the fluid out?

Silver WK Club Member #11
LelandGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 11:24 AM   #2
LelandGray
2005 WK 

Just called a local shop for an estimate, they said it'd be $450 to replace both seals.. parts and labor, and it does require draining the differential and the transfer case.

I guess I better start figuring it out, that's still expensive for something that seems so easy..
Unread 01-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
mrtosh
2005 WK 

For the torque on the pinion nut, just mark the nut in relation to the pinion itself and tighten to that location again when installed. You could also count the amount of turns when pulling the nut off, kind of difficult if using and impact though. Which seal exactly is leaking on the transfer case? Any pics?
'05 WK Limited QDII, Superlift 6", Bilstein struts,315/70/17 Duratracs, Gibson CB, Volant CAI, JBA UCA's, JKS quick disco, adj. Rear trac bar, 4xguard armor, Diablosport Intune, Xenondepot 6000k HID's, Putco Jet yellow fogs.
mrtosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #4
LelandGray
2005 WK 

The notes I got from the dealer just say "R/S", so I'm guessing 'right side', or the outer one.

I just downloaded the service manual and skimmed through it.. doesn't seem hard, just slightly scary because it's new territory for me (haven't done much work on anything but a Dodge Stealth).
Unread 01-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #5
mrtosh
2005 WK 

Yeah they mention in the FSM. The sake instructions for just about any pinion seal. Using a inch lbs. torque wrench isn't necessary especially since these have crush collars that are already crushed and set at the time of pinion install. Marking the nut in relation to the pinion is the easiest. As for the TC seal I can't think of anything really on the side, maybe the TC motor?
'05 WK Limited QDII, Superlift 6", Bilstein struts,315/70/17 Duratracs, Gibson CB, Volant CAI, JBA UCA's, JKS quick disco, adj. Rear trac bar, 4xguard armor, Diablosport Intune, Xenondepot 6000k HID's, Putco Jet yellow fogs.
Unread 01-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #6
mrtosh
2005 WK 

Leland are you Superlifted by chance?
Unread 01-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #7
LelandGray
2005 WK 

I'll have to look at the notes again. I know for sure it's the pinion seal, and then something on the transfer case.

Nope, no Superlift here.. just stock, aside from the tires.

Also, are the solenoids for the ELSD's inside the differential?
Unread 01-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #8
mrtosh
2005 WK 

Yup. Pretty easy swap. Once you open the diff you'll see the solenoid sitting right next to the carrier. If you change out the solenoid I'd go ahead and swap in a new wiring harness as well. Cheap and extra insurance.
Unread 01-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #9
LelandGray
2005 WK 

yeah, I'll buy the wiring harness, too. I'm trying to get all this stuff done at the same time.. lol
Unread 01-17-2012, 07:06 AM   #10
LelandGray
2005 WK 

I just looked at my paperwork from the dealer, and this is what it says:

"FRT PINION SEAL AND R/S AXLE SEAL T-CASE"

Then on another page, it says "Found the front pinion seal, and right axle seal leaking"
Unread 01-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #11
mrtosh
2005 WK 

That makes more sense. I just changed the drivers side axle seal, I assume that's the left one. Pretty easy and straight forward. The passenger side one i believe you need a puller for the intermediate shaft. I'm sure you could rig something up with a slide hammer though.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.