Changing the oil in the front Diff. QD2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Changing the oil in the front Diff. QD2

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-23-2009, 12:47 PM   #1
JMorash
2005 WK 

Changing the oil in the front Diff. QD2

Found out changing the oil in the front Diff was a bit tricky on my 05 wk hemi with quadra drive 2.

So listen to this.

I routed a tube into the fill hole of the diff after draining the old fluid.

Secondly i taped the tube to the nozzle of the gear oil bottle and tipped it upside down, letting it rest on my radiator. From there on the oil gracefully filled itself into the differential through the tube.

Secondly for those of you who want to do this on your own and dont own large allen keys. Go out and buy a 14mm bolt, and some nuts. This worked perfect for removing both the drain plug and filler plug. the bolt fits perfectly into the drain and fill plugs perfectly, all you have to do is wrench it off.

Heres some pictures to show yall what i mean.

Hope this helps. BTW the dealer suggested i use two bottle of friction modifier for each differential. Using One is ok as well

HEMI Club Member #28

3.5 Rock crawler lift.265/65R17 Toyo AT SuperChips Flashpaq MDS delete
JMorash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2009, 01:24 PM   #2
scottydog
2006 WK 

Most of us buy a gear oil pump, $10, fits a gallon bottle of 75w-140. Local auto parts places should have the 14mm hex.

Be careful about too much friction modifier. Your clutch packs can start to slip. A lot of guys keep adding modifier little by little till it stops acting up in a sharp turn.
scottydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2009, 01:28 PM   #3
JMorash
2005 WK 

I went to two napa stores. They didnt have the 14mm hex. As for the modifier, the dealer told me that two bottle is what they do. and theyre all about service. I hope. On the bottle is say anywhere from 2-5 percent modifier to be used in the diff alongside the 75w-140.

I hope the two bottles i dumped in there dont mess things up.
HEMI Club Member #28

3.5 Rock crawler lift.265/65R17 Toyo AT SuperChips Flashpaq MDS delete
JMorash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2009, 02:55 PM   #4
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

Yeah, that front diff was a pain. I was planning on going your route next time with the longer tube. I still haven't found a clean way to add transfer case fluid though.

My local parts stores didn't have a 14mm hex socket available, neither did Sears unless I bought a $40 set that I didn't need so I wound up purchasing the piece at a local heavy duty - commercial grade, tool supply company. Now, I just need to not lose it before my next change.

Quote:
BTW the dealer suggested i use two bottle of friction modifier for each differential.
Never listen to this dealer ever again.
Texas WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2009, 03:29 PM   #5
scottydog
2006 WK 

14mm hex $3.30 www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UVP0DG/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3/175-1436287-7512248?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_r=08JFRQTZB93MGF5GBEGJ&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p =304485901&pf_rd_i=B000CDZQ7W

Most parts stores should carry the gear oil pump $10. You can even use it to pump oil out of the rear dif should you not want to pull the pan off.

Yea regarding friction modifier the "one is good, two is better" idea doesn't apply. I personally like the pre-mixed stuff from redline.
scottydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.