Changing HID Bulb in a 08 Overland - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Changing HID Bulb in a 08 Overland

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 10-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #1
mznyc
2008 WK 

Changing HID Bulb in a 08 Overland

My stock HID bulb is flickering,if it is the bulb any precautions I should take while replacing it? Just disconnect the battery?
Owners manual says take it to the dealer , and doesnt list the procedure as to how to remove/install.
thanks

mznyc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

I don't think you need to disconnect the battery but you can if it will give you peace of mind. Look on the back side of the headlamp and you will see a large rubber cap, remove it. Then you will see the bulb. there will be a type of clip or latch you need to under to get the bulb free. There will also be a wire harness plugged into the bulb you need to disconnect. Once you have done all that the bulb will be free!

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #3
mznyc
2008 WK 

OK thanks Omelet.I hadnt looked at the set up as Im away from home and bulb has been working with a little flickering for a couple days but went out last night.Have a bulb on order so should be able to get under the hood when I get home.Was hoping it would be like a halogen which it sounds like it is,
Thanks
Michael
Unread 10-15-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
JeepCares

Here's some of the warnings from the '08 WK FSM:

WARNING: To avoid serious or fatal injury, eye protection should be used when servicing any glass components.

WARNING: To avoid serious or fatal injury when working on the High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamp system, be certain to take the proper precautions. The headlamp switch must be in the OFF position. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. There is a risk of fatal injury caused by contact with high voltage used in the HID headlamps. There is a risk of explosion or fire caused by highly flammable materials in the vicinity of damaged HID lighting elements. There is a risk of injury caused by exposure to Ultra Violet (UV) light, a risk of burns caused by high component operating temperatures, a risk of mercury poisoning through glass splinters produced by bursting HID lighting elements. There is also a risk of poisoning caused by inhalation of mercury vapors and by toxic salts and mercury compounds being ingested or coming into contact with the skin. Do not come into contact with parts that are under high voltage. Persons with active electronic implants (e.g. heart pacemakers) must never work on HID headlamps. Wear insulated safety shoes, safety glasses and protective gloves. Remove flammable materials and ensure sufficient ventilation in the working area.

CAUTION: Do not contaminate the glass of halogen bulbs with fingerprints or allow contact with other possibly oily surfaces. Reduced bulb life will result.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2012, 07:08 AM   #5
mznyc
2008 WK 

Thanks Lee!
That's cool that Chrysler monitors the forum.I would think that disconnecting the battery would be the safe way to go!
Unread 10-20-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
mznyc
2008 WK 

For those interested in doing this,it is as easy as replacing a halogen bulb.
1-Make sure light switch is in the off position
2-Disconnet Neg Batt lead
3- Remove rubber boot behind light assembly
4-Release clip holding in bulb
5-Free bulb and disconnect lead
6-Re-install in reverse
Unread 01-10-2013, 08:12 AM   #7
NDSU_Bison
2014 WK 

I might try replacing my bulb that's going out on my own as long as it's easy to reach from behind. I was afraid there might be an electrical charge that needed to be drained after the power was cut like with picture tubes in the older TV sets.
NDSU_Bison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2013, 08:20 AM   #8
mznyc
2008 WK 

Unless you have Andre the Giant type hands Bison,no worries.Easy.
Unread 03-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #9
rousguy
2008 WK 

Would anyone have the part number for the bulb itself ?

My dealership service guy keeps telling me that I have to replace the whole projector at a cost of $358 + labour.

I think the bulb itself should be around $50

Any help on this matter would be appreciated.

Thank you.
rousguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #10
mznyc
2008 WK 

Here ya go rousguy.This is the exact model I got from Amazon.Color and intensity are a perfect match to the other original bulb.Should take 10-15 mins to do yourself.5 mins after youve done it once before.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.