Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Change Spark Plugs on 2009 Grand Cherokee 3.6L V6

8K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  luckyse7ens 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I tried to change the spark plugs on my 2009 Grand Cherokee Laredo but ran into a problem that I can't solve by looking at YouTube videos. I only found 3 engine coils on the driver side of the engine (therefore only know where 3 spark plugs are). I did not find 3 opposing engine coils/spark plugs on the passenger side.

I appreciate any help. I'd like to do this myself and save a couple hundreds. Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
That is how the coils are setup. 3 coils for 6 plugs. Each coil fires twice per revolution. Its called a wasted spark ignition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasted_spark

Follow the wires to the other plugs... they are in the exact same spots on the other side of the engine.

Be very careful when removing the coil packs. They are bolted in with plastic bolts... I broke one.

#5 ·
That is how the coils are setup. 3 coils for 6 plugs. Each coil fires twice per revolution. Its called a wasted spark ignition.

Follow the wires to the other plugs... they are in the exact same spots on the other side of the engine.

Be very careful when removing the coil packs. They are bolted in with plastic bolts... I broke one.
I haven't looked or tried to remove them yet but any advice as to how I should remove them? I obviously do not want to break them.

#8 ·
the OEM copper plugs don't last very long is all. They are very inexpensive so it isn't a big deal if you do it yourself. They changed the interval at some point when the dealer recommended plug change was changed to platinums IIRC. This is really just to limit labor costs as there is no performance advantage with platinums/iridiums over coppers.

No problem. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.