CCV vent on CRD?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > CCV vent on CRD??

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Reply
Unread 09-10-2008, 02:45 PM   #1
NetworkMD
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Central Fl
Posts: 88
CCV vent on CRD??

Does anyone know if it is possible to vent the CCV on the CRD until a Provent is installed or will it set off codes or possibly cause damage? I know several members with the Liberty CRD performed what was called the elephant mod

Thanks all

__________________
05 Libby CRD, 08 WK Overland CRD, 07 JK Rubi Green HT Manual, 03 VW TDI
NetworkMD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2008, 08:56 PM   #2
TonyVideo
Senior Member
 
TonyVideo's Avatar
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Rushville, IN
Posts: 750
It is a closed system so I am sure you will get codes if vented.
__________________
Tony
2008 GC 3.0L CRD Limited, ProVent Installed, Clear Bra, Scangauge
1999 GC 4.0L Larado
1985 Jeep Larado 4.0L Sold
TonyVideo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2008, 11:36 PM   #3
Spider-One
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NT, Canada
Posts: 457
I plan on putting in a Racor CCV filter very soon and as far as I can tell there are no sensors on the vent line, I would imagine you could blow the inlet on the intake and run the CCV line further down, but I can't confirm this. I believe all that's on the line is a pressure regulator and a heater on one end of the vent line for condensation or something along those lines.
Spider-One is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2008, 08:11 AM   #4
NetworkMD
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Central Fl
Posts: 88
Thanks I have less than 500 miles so far, and wanted to fix before driving more.

I purchased a Provent last week, and have now created a T type bracket to bolt using the existing stud on top of the frount spring bracket so no drilling. I plan to install the Provent this weekend if all goes well. Thank you
__________________
05 Libby CRD, 08 WK Overland CRD, 07 JK Rubi Green HT Manual, 03 VW TDI
NetworkMD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2008, 02:51 PM   #5
boxcab
Member
 
boxcab's Avatar
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Auburn, Wash.
Posts: 142
I've got a ProVent on order, hopefully it should be here in a week. I've also got a new EGR valve on order, so once that's replaced I'll find a place for the ProVent. I see one CRD owner put his behind the coolant reservoir, but I filled that space with my 2-quart bypass oil filter setup. BTW, as I understand it, there is a heater in the CCV line before it enters the intake.
__________________
Doug

2007 WK CRD
boxcab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2008, 05:10 PM   #6
ctate
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Thornton, CO
Posts: 228
Whats the benefit of the CCV vent?
ctate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2008, 04:20 PM   #7
boxcab
Member
 
boxcab's Avatar
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Auburn, Wash.
Posts: 142
Diesels have more blow-by than gassers, and with all the oil being thrown about by moving parts such as the pistons (due to oil cooling jets), more oil mist in the crankcase. This gets sucked into the intake: the turbo compressor, the charge-air cooler, etc. A CCV filter such as the Mann+Hummell ProVent or the Racor CCV separate the oil mist so that only clean air enters the intake. The oil removed condenses out through a drain which can be plumbed back into the oil pan or into a container.
__________________
Doug

2007 WK CRD
boxcab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2008, 05:17 PM   #8
ctate
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Thornton, CO
Posts: 228
That makes since. Thanks
ctate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2008, 01:35 PM   #9
bgame
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkMD View Post
Does anyone know if it is possible to vent the CCV on the CRD until a Provent is installed or will it set off codes or possibly cause damage? I know several members with the Liberty CRD performed what was called the elephant mod

Thanks all
I have done the elephant Mod and no codes set. It is simple and easy to do.
But I also pour all my oil in the oil fill tube and none in the filter. No ill effects. I also do not wait 15 mins to start the engine after the oil fill and the oil light goes out in the same time as if it was parked over nite.
bgame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2008, 12:00 AM   #10
YB Normyl
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkMD View Post
Thanks I have less than 500 miles so far, and wanted to fix before driving more.

I purchased a Provent last week, and have now created a T type bracket to bolt using the existing stud on top of the frount spring bracket so no drilling. I plan to install the Provent this weekend if all goes well. Thank you
Any pictures?
YB Normyl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2008, 06:30 PM   #11
Tuco
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 486
Quote:
I also do not wait 15 mins to start the engine after the oil fill
Just to clarify since you didnt say in your post. The 15 minutes is not what is important. The amount of oil in the pan of your engine when you start the engine is what's critical. On a cold day it could easily take 15 minutes for 10 qts of oil to settle. The dipstick is there for a reason. I know its common sense, but didnt want any "first time oil changers" to miss the point. In other words, if you just pour the oil in and imediately start your engine, you will shorten the life of your (expensive) engine.
__________________
07 WK CRD Limited
Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2008, 02:27 PM   #12
bgame
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
Just to clarify since you didnt say in your post. The 15 minutes is not what is important. The amount of oil in the pan of your engine when you start the engine is what's critical. On a cold day it could easily take 15 minutes for 10 qts of oil to settle. The dipstick is there for a reason. I know its common sense, but didnt want any "first time oil changers" to miss the point. In other words, if you just pour the oil in and imediately start your engine, you will shorten the life of your (expensive) engine.
I have one diesel engine that holds 6 gals. of oil. After the 6th gal in poured in and the cap is replaced on the engine and the dip stick checked all the oil is already in the pan. Manufacture of engines make a faster return than can be pumped in the engine. Other wise you stand a chance of pumping all the oil to the top of the engine before it can return back into the pan. Even on cold days with cold oil...... Next time you change the oil in you CRD take and pour the old oil back in with the drain plug out (make sure to use another pan to catch the old oil.) And you will see that it comes out just as fast as you pour it in. Been there done that.....
bgame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2008, 02:39 PM   #13
Spider-One
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NT, Canada
Posts: 457
I would have to say not all engines are the same. The reason we do this (wait until it settles) is because Chrysler has put out a TSB for this issue. Perhaps it's the pouring the oil down the filter area that causes it to take longer, I don't know, but if Chrysler feels it necessary then it just makes sense to do it.
Spider-One is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2008, 05:08 PM   #14
bgame
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-One View Post
I would have to say not all engines are the same. The reason we do this (wait until it settles) is because Chrysler has put out a TSB for this issue. Perhaps it's the pouring the oil down the filter area that causes it to take longer, I don't know, but if Chrysler feels it necessary then it just makes sense to do it.
I have read all the TSB and have not found the one you are taking about. What is the TSB.

Here is the link to TSB that I have been looking. http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_tsb.htm#ENGINE
bgame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2008, 01:26 AM   #15
Spider-One
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NT, Canada
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgame View Post
I have read all the TSB and have not found the one you are taking about. What is the TSB.

Here is the link to TSB that I have been looking. http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_tsb.htm#ENGINE
Sorry, not a TSB, but still recommended. The info was from this thread found here. I mistook the TSB link posted in Merlin's post #11 for being a TSB for this issue. Merlin states in posts #23 and #25 that it's in the service manual and the reasoning behind it.
Spider-One is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.