CCV is "closed," but how does it vent...? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > CCV is "closed," but how does it vent...?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #1
westnewton
2007 WK 

CCV is "closed," but how does it vent...?

PCV I think understand... One bank has an outlet and PCV under slight vacuum from the intake to "pull" gases out. AND, it has an inlet on the opposite bank that allows air in to top of the engine which creates a cross-draft-ish-type effect to pull gasses from both halves of the "V"

CCV is a closed crankcase ventilation. Obviously there are plenty of issues with sucking oil mist into the turbo inlet, which has been discussed in detail.

My question is: Where does the "inlet" part of this ventilation occur as it does with PCV systems? Since it is closed, I am guessing there is some sort of pressure diff on a boosted engine that helps push vapors out??

Either way, I am keeping the system "closed" by routing the CCV outlet into the bottom of the airbox, which will still provide a small vacuum.

Unread 05-24-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
westnewton
2007 WK 

Also... A large reason I have enough information and wisdom to even begin messing with my first diesel engine is due to this forum. Thank you to all who contribute!!!!!
Unread 05-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
suzieque
2008 WK 

I'm not sure what you are asking. The engine air input comes from the air intake itself to the front of the turbo where the air is compressed. During the combustion process, most of the gas goes out the exhaust pipe but some exhaust escapes past the piston rings, thereby increasing the crankcase pressure. The CCV allows the excess air pressure to escape the crankcase back to the air intake.
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #4
westnewton
2007 WK 

Maybe that blowby is it?

On all of the gas cars I have had (11), the PCV was on one side (or bank, or half) of the engine, and the other side had a fresh air tube to bring in outside air. This allowed the PCV pull air out one side of the engine while the other side let fresh air into the top of the engine and "flow" across both halves to pull out the blow-by gases.

Since the CRD is presumably a closed system, there must not be a fresh-air in, but rather they rely on the blow-by gases to create enough positive pressure to flow out the CCV valve.

Does that mean these rings let by enough air, or blow-by, that no fresh air source is needed?
Unread 05-24-2013, 06:33 PM   #5
suzieque
2008 WK 

Ok, I think I understand your question now. My understanding of forced induction engines is that they do not have an unvented/unrestricted air intake on their crankcases. So even a gas engine with a turbo or supercharger will not have an open breather on the opposite side of the engine. Have you started your crd and opened the oil fill cap while it's idling? If so you will see a mess quickly form around the oil fill hole as the crankcase pressure, even at idle, have a new way to escape and make a mess.
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2013, 07:21 AM   #6
westnewton
2007 WK 

Thanks! My previous vehicles were NA and I'm still learning about the changes that come with a turbo.

Tags
ccv , turbo , vent tube breather

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.