Cb radio - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Cb radio

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFree Shipping on Soft ShacklesNew! JK/U skid plate system.

Unread 05-24-2015, 06:46 AM   #1
Brains72
2007 WK 

Cb radio

Picked up a cobra 75wxst and a k30 magnet mount antenna. I plan to make a more permanent mount with a firestick soon but needed something quick. Where is the best place to mount the antenna. I have it on the roof by the back hatch. Waiting to get a swr meter but the guy I got the antenna from said it was already tuned, how true is that? Is there a better place for the antenna to be placed?
With the unit on all transmissions are very hard to hear.
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Ed

Brains72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2015, 08:39 AM   #2
tom19511
2006 WK 

I mount mine right in the middle of the roof.
Good reception and transmission all around.
If you mount it toward the back your transmitting signal will tend to be stronger toward the front.
2007 Liberty Sport 3.7
tom19511 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2015, 11:13 PM   #3
japeart
2007 WK 

It still should be tuned for the radio, connections, wire loss and location on your vehicle. firestik has a good write up on the terms "factory tuned" and "tuneable tip" and what they really mean. http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/TUNABLE.htm

heres a little excerpt :

Factory Pre-Tuned

This DOES NOT mean that you can screw the antenna into the mount and go. CB antennas are not plug-and-play devices. "Factory Pre-Tuned" only tells you that the manufacturer has established a standard frequency for the production of their antenna(s) and that the antenna was manufactured to meet that standard. The manufacturers standard refers to a given frequency … NOT a specific SWR reading. Furthermore, the standard is developed on a specific and fixed ground plane. It is doubtful that your vehicle ground plane would match that of the test standard ground plane. You MUST set the SWR of all CB antennas after the antenna is mounted in its final location. Failure to do so will limit the performance of your system and could damage the radio’s circuitry.

also here is a review of the antenna you have and he does get it tuned http://www.cbradiomagazine.com/Jan%2...a%20Review.htm

im no expert this but i did just go through a CB install and learned a thing or two.
Black WK Club #156
japeart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.