CB Eng - Pro-lite Build - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > CB Eng - Pro-lite Build

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 05-01-2014, 10:11 PM   #46
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

Thanks, I have thought of building a new lower, but trying to keep this round as simple as possible. I still have about a good 0.5" of coilover travel left in full droop but the cv shaft and tie rod are close to binding.

As this is a Pro-lite build I am trying to remove as much weight as possible. Minimum I need to get rid of the added weight from the tires and spacers. Its rotatioinal weight so I will never get close, but have to try. Its about 30 lbs a corner. So I have to remove atleast 150 lbs before I can even feel better. I am trying to keep track of what's removed and added. So I weighed the calipers and rotors. The new setup will save me over 6 lbs per corner up front. The coilovers are getting me around 14 lbs per corner from the stock setup. The new upper control arms a just over a pound heavier than stock. The new downpipe is about 5 lbs lighter than the old. We are slowly removing weight. I have a scale weight of the Jeep before I started with me in it and will weigh it again once I am done. It was like 4800 something with less than a 1/2 tank of fuel and full of stuff in it, ie child car seats, work tools, and other random stuff. I have it filed away somewhere.
Stock WK front calipers with used pads.

Wilwood W6A calipers with pads

Got my fiberglass materials today. Hope to start on some fenders soon. I got resin, gelcoat, gelcoat gun, pigment, fabric, tools, and expanding foam. It's going to get messy. You can make cool things out of fiberglass, but its messy as hell and stinks. Use proper PPE.

2007 3.0L CRD WK LTD - Stage 2 Custom Spooling Tune, Go Fast Parts
Pro-lite Build
2003 F250 6.0L CCLB - Gearhead Tunes
tnadanzig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2014, 10:17 AM   #47
Rob_S
2006 WK 

Can't wait to see how these fenders turn out! If they aren't too tough or if you can reuse the mold I would be interested in buying a set! But I imagine they aren't going to be worth your time to do another set without charging a ton of money.
Rob_S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2014, 02:11 PM   #48
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

I hope to get some time this weekend to start on them. I hope to reuse the mold. I always say it takes building something three times before you get it just right.
Pro-lite Build
Unread 05-03-2014, 02:35 PM   #49
zc911

I'd be interested in a down pipe!
Also love the idea, if in had the skills I'd build by Jeep the same way!

I can say from experience with other cars that a big rear sway bar and no front bar = one tail happy car lol
Unread 05-03-2014, 03:56 PM   #50
ryann04
2008 WK 

I will 100% buy a set of fender flares from you if they turn out OK. I hope the cast works. Lol.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Blue WK Club Member #42 // DIESEL FTW !!!! -Ryan
ryann04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2014, 07:59 AM   #51
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zc911 View Post
I'd be interested in a down pipe!
Also love the idea, if in had the skills I'd build by Jeep the same way!
I can say from experience with other cars that a big rear sway bar and no front bar = one tail happy car lol
Thanks, I am glad you guys like the build. I have wanted to see one this way for a while. I have pieces to build several more downpipes, once it get this build a little closer to done I will get them welded up and get ready to go.

I am hoping it won't be too tail happy, but we will see how it handles. I would call the SRT8 sway bar adequate as the stock on was terrible. If I have to I will put a front back on, but try to come up with one that doesn't get in the way. I won't mind a little tail happy as I really enjoy driving my XJ and spinning the rear tires and sliding out the rear end. Sometimes I wish I could do that with my WK, but with the AWD that doesn't happen. I have thought of talking with Blown7 if I could do the 2wd switch with our transfer case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryann04 View Post
I will 100% buy a set of fender flares from you if they turn out OK. I hope the cast works. Lol.
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I hope to be able to offer them to everyone. I am trying to make the mold as reusable as possible. It will have parting lines as there are a few places with deep draw. I have one of fenders waxed and getting ready to pour the expanding foam on it to carve into the desired shape.
Pro-lite Build
Unread 05-05-2014, 08:52 AM   #52
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

Well, I have made some changes to the build. It might take me a bit longer, but I just couldn't notch the frame and feel good about it. So my OME MD rear springs and Fox 12" 2.0 remote reservoir shocks will be going up for sale. I will post in the classifieds shortly.
I had the grinder and plasma cutter out and made a few small cut and just couldn't do it. I didn't like what I was seeing. Because my final goals are much more than a notch frame, I figured I would do a little bit more work and get something I really want for the rear. I will provide more info in a little bit, but it will be pretty sweet and nothing that has been done on a WK before.
Pro-lite Build
Unread 05-05-2014, 10:17 AM   #53
Rob_S
2006 WK 

I like where this is going! Does it include coilovers in the rear cut through the floor with an internal shock cage?! Ha ha ha. That would be badass.

Robbie
Unread 05-05-2014, 10:24 AM   #54
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

Even better than that. One part is correct.
Pro-lite Build
Unread 05-05-2014, 10:46 AM   #55
caulk04
2008 WK 

Trailing arm rear susp with 22" travel...lol. Who knows what you're going to come up with?!

Looks great, wish I had the shop and fab equipment you have at your disposal. I got the machining covered, can do whatever I want at work since I'm in charge of the mills. Having a seat of MasterCAM is very helpful
Unread 05-05-2014, 11:34 AM   #56
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

I really want to know what you have planned now, since you are getting rid of the coils and Fox shocks im assuming the coilovers is the part that Rob S got right??
Unread 05-05-2014, 11:42 AM   #57
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

Pretty close, I wasn't going to post this until I have more details worked out, but this is the rough draft of what I am doing. Still need to draw some more and figure out the small details. I have a seat of PTC Creo 2.0 so I am pretty much limited to my skill and imagination. I use Mastercam as well its a pretty decent software. It will be able to cycle ~ 18", but for the 1st round it will be limited to about 14" or so. I will need longer trailing arms before I can really unleash the beast. I will have to move the fuel tank for that. I have some aluminum sheet for a new fuel tank, but don't see myself getting that fabricated until this winter. My new rear control arms are adjustable and I planned on pushing the axle back about ~0.75" to help clear some sheet metal. Yes, new coilovers, I just ordered a set of Sway Away 2.5" remote reservoirs with the dual rate kit.

Pro-lite Build
Unread 05-05-2014, 12:34 PM   #58
Rob_S
2006 WK 

Ahhhh the cantilever setup. I've seen that on the rear of a few rangers on DR and it proved to work out very well. Stoked to see the fabbing start!
Unread 05-05-2014, 12:55 PM   #59
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

Yes, I don't really want to put holes up through the floor. Might take a bit to tune the rear shocks, but I think it will be well worth it. I didn't like how the lower shock mounts hang so low and the frame notch was going to look like crap. I had a OME spring and I thought they would work better, but after fitting it up it wasn't going to give me the travel I wanted. Jeep has way too many stampings coming together in that one location. I always wanted to make a Cantilever setup and figured this would be a good time. Just need to finish up some CAD work then get all the plates and tabs cut out and welded together. I think our Jeeps lend themselves well to a Cantilever setup because the rear cradle structure is a great shape for this setup. Should only need to add a few tubes here and there and some plate work and should be pretty stout. It shouldn't sit lower than the cradle structure so should be able to keep a decent departure angle.
Pro-lite Build
Unread 05-08-2014, 11:56 AM   #60
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Excellent work!!! I'm stoked to see your cantilever setup come together. I've been wanting to make one for a long time, but I don't posess the skills (at least not yet) to do it myself. I thought about driving it over to EVO to have them fab one up for me, but that's a lot of $$$! They make some great JK kits.

I'm also very excited to see your fenders you're making. I love glass fender but none makes them for the WK. If your's come out nice (I'm sure they will) and the price is decent, then I'll definitely buy a set from you! I prefer poly flares more for their trail abuse resistance, but I'll take what I can get

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.