CB Eng - Pro-lite Build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > CB Eng - Pro-lite Build

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 04-16-2014, 10:03 PM   #16
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum555 View Post
Dang tnadanzig!! just get some jeep logos and Fab up your own entire rig!. those rear control arms look sexy...aaaannnnddd I need some new ones anywho..
Thanks, I have thought of building a tube chassis vehicle, but probably not until the kids are a little older to enjoy it. 4 seater
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepforthewin View Post
Wow, never knew you did this much! Amazing skill you have there and amazing work! Im assuming some fender flares will be made soon from what you are saying?
Thanks, I was hoping to get to this build earlier, but with two young kids I just didn't have much time. The youngest is almost 9 months so he's sleeping better at night so I can get some work done. I have been designing some fender flares, but I think for this build I will be doing a prerunner style full fiberglass fenders up front, not sure on the rear yet.

Only update tonight. Working on some other projects. Got a 304 Stainless steel donut in the mail for the turbo down pipe. I was hoping the normal mandrel bent tubes I have would work, but for the immediate bend out of the turbo it just won't work. Man these donuts are not cheap.

2007 3.0L CRD WK LTD - Stage 2 Custom Spooling Tune, Go Fast Parts
Pro-lite Build
2003 F250 6.0L CCLB - Gearhead Tunes
tnadanzig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2014, 09:42 AM   #17
Rob_S
2006 WK 

This is the sickest jeep build I have ever seen! I've always wanted to turn a WK into a more "pre-runner" style off-roader instead of the typical trail rig. Can you post in here or PM me the specs of those coilovers? And how much would you charge for a set of those upper coilover adapters?

Robbie

Last edited by Rob_S; 04-17-2014 at 10:05 AM..
Rob_S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2014, 07:47 AM   #18
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_S View Post
This is the sickest jeep build I have ever seen! I've always wanted to turn a WK into a more "pre-runner" style off-roader instead of the typical trail rig. Can you post in here or PM me the specs of those coilovers? And how much would you charge for a set of those upper coilover adapters?
Robbie
Thanks, I am a huge fan of prerunners. I hangout on some desert forums to get ideas. I always hoped someone would build one. I will try to take it out on the trail, but it will be made more for going fast. The coilovers are Fox 2.0 emulsion shocks 6.5" stroke 5/8" shaft. I had them custom valved, but won't know how well I did until I get some miles on it. I got the emulsion because I wanted to check fit up and valving before going to a better shock, plus these will go on the wife's Jeep once I get all the good stuff figured out. Then I will get remote reservoir shocks in a 2.5" size. I can figure out a price on the mounts, but you will need top and bottom. Probably won't have much time to make them until this build gets closer to the end. I am hoping to take several days off next week from work to focus on the Jeep. I hate not driving it. Luckily, I have another one so I don't get withdrawals to bad.
Pro-lite Build
Unread 04-18-2014, 11:35 AM   #19
Rob_S
2006 WK 

I wouldn't be ready to buy and do the coilvers for some time so there's no rush. How did you get the c/o body to mount in the stock strut fork at the bottom? That's more the part I am interested in. The top mount makes perfect sense but is the c/o body just smooth and fits right in the fork piece? Please keep updating this thread with pics!!! I'm all over dezertrangers looking at the DIY garage builds with hopes to build another truck someday. I had an 04' Ranger mid-travel with full glass that was fun as hell out in the desert. But the jeep makes more sense with my family so a desert ready GC would be ideal!!

Robbie

*How long are your springs? I'm pricing out a set of F.O.A. 2" coilovers with springs but not sure what free length I'd need for the 6" stroke c/o.

Last edited by Rob_S; 04-18-2014 at 11:54 AM..
Rob_S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2014, 03:06 PM   #20
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

Sounds good. I made a custom mount to accept the coilover shaft. The fox eyelet won't work with the stock shock fork. I didn't feel like making a new fork so I turned an adapter on the lathe. Plus the fox coilover is actually shorter than the stock coilover setup so I need to extend the length to get it to work within the suspension geometry. I had a 94 Supercab Ranger in college that I built some suspension for trying to build a prerunner. No glass, just some cut fenders. I wanted a prerunner so bad in college. To poor at the time to pay shipping on fiberglass from California. I ran it into the ground and sold it a couple of years ago. I started having kids and need more room and I had 6 vehicles at the time. The wife finally said you need to get rid of some so I sold my Ranger and old ZJ. Still miss them, but only so much time and room. I enjoy a lot of the builds on dezertrangers. The WK works great with the family. Just four of us and no more so its just about perfect for road trips.

Typically you want a coil that is twice the length of your shock stroke. I went with a 14" spring so I have a little extra to play with, I have a 6.5" stroke shock and I can't use all the of it. Stock is ~ 4.5".

I am designing a long travel suspension system for the WK so hopefully next winter I will have it ready for a big upgrade. Thinking of + 3.5" per side with extended CV Shafts and fabricated knuckles. Got the upper arm designed and the knuckle, still trying to figure out what I want to do for lower arm and upper control arm mounts/engine cage/coilover mount. I hate the stock lower arm design and mounting.
This sucker is sitting under my desk and I pull it out to kick it and try to figure out what I want to do. But it will probably entail quite a bit of cutting and welding.
Pro-lite Build
Unread 04-18-2014, 07:31 PM   #21
zeds_dead
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnadanzig View Post

Ya, the aluminum is not cheap, but I love the material its lightweight, strong for its weight, easy to machine, and doesn't corrode as bad as steel. Some of the smaller pieces are leftover scraps from old projects, but I really like having jigs so its a necessary evil to me. Thanks on the 3D printer, I will let you know. We can always use a bigger machine shop.

Anything I make is for sale. However, a few things I would like to beat the crap out of to make sure I don't need to tweak the design.

Going with the weight reduce process and it will take some time, but it will get there. Made some machined aluminum rear sway bar links and mounts. Not 100% if I will use the links as they don't really flex much and are just a hair longer than stock so they might not work with the axle travel I am shooting for. They are lighter than stock. But, I wanted to make a set to see how they came out. I will probably put them on the wife's Jeep. On the next set I will tweak the design, add some length, and add a heim joint or something to get some flex.

Did some more suspension cycling with the tires and will definitely need some fiberglass fenders unless I really want to take like 3" or so off of the fenders. The tires stick out past them so I am not a huge fan of that so it looks like I will eventually need to get some fiber and resin ordered.
What did you exactly use to make those links? Just started in machining recently...hehe
Unread 04-23-2014, 12:27 PM   #22
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

What give all my secrets away. I used 1" and 1.5" DOM tubing x 0.1875" wall.
Well not a ton of updates. Didn't get much done over the weekend, had to build a play ground set for the daughter, Easter present. Between getting all the materials, cutting, and building I didn't have much time for anything else with the holiday. Still want to take a couple of days to get some real progress done.
Got my battery relocation kit in.

Pic of tacked upper control arms. Much better looking than boxed ones in my opinion.

Cycled the suspension with new arms to see how much fender clearance issues I will have. Tire hits fender with about 3" of bump travel left. Looks like some fiberglass fenders are mandatory. I was going to trim the fenders, but just and bring my self to cut them up and still have the tire stick past. So going to make some 3 by 3 fenders. 3" Rise and 3" flare, ordered the material and resin to build them. Probably cutting the rear and figure out something later.

Just about finished my downpipe jigs. Only have pictures at the moment of the one almost done.

Looking to improve airflow for the engine. So I removed the intake manifolds, cleaned them and proceeded to gut the swirl valves and remove the bosses for welding the openings shut. Also, the intake manifolds have two large posts in them for two bolts to go through. Removed the posts so I can install a flat head screw and them plug the top. Similar to what's done on the 6.0/6.4 powerstroke intake manifolds.

Pro-lite Build
Unread 04-23-2014, 02:45 PM   #23
Hendrix9
2007 WK 

What a cool build!
I'm really looking forward to serious modifications that you're doing with the 3.0. I'm dying to know what it's truly capable of. About 300hp/500tq I would think should be doable and pretty daily driveable with the bigger turbo.
Hendrix9 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2014, 07:23 AM   #24
xjokee
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Looks like somebody stayed awake during mech engineering class.
Unread 04-24-2014, 08:14 AM   #25
jediknight
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjokee View Post
come on ... don't tell me you thrown away all your books ??
Unread 04-24-2014, 09:49 AM   #26
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix9 View Post
What a cool build!
I'm really looking forward to serious modifications that you're doing with the 3.0. I'm dying to know what it's truly capable of. About 300hp/500tq I would think should be doable and pretty daily driveable with the bigger turbo.
Thanks, I am hoping for that at the wheels. From what I have heard these are pretty stout little motors. It should take it no problem. I will keep pushing the engine to see how far we can go. If anyone cares, I only use wheel horsepower as I could care less about crank hp. Power to the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjokee View Post
I tried as best I could. I also took a bunch of welding and machining classes on nights and weekends because when I started my ME degree I thought we would learn real world hands on knowledge.

Adding a picture of the upper downpipe cat and jig.
Pro-lite Build
Unread 04-24-2014, 12:24 PM   #27
Chadwi
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnadanzig View Post
Sounds good. I made a custom mount to accept the coilover shaft. The fox eyelet won't work with the stock shock fork. I didn't feel like making a new fork so I turned an adapter on the lathe. Plus the fox coilover is actually shorter than the stock coilover setup so I need to extend the length to get it to work within the suspension geometry. I had a 94 Supercab Ranger in college that I built some suspension for trying to build a prerunner. No glass, just some cut fenders. I wanted a prerunner so bad in college. To poor at the time to pay shipping on fiberglass from California. I ran it into the ground and sold it a couple of years ago. I started having kids and need more room and I had 6 vehicles at the time. The wife finally said you need to get rid of some so I sold my Ranger and old ZJ. Still miss them, but only so much time and room. I enjoy a lot of the builds on dezertrangers. The WK works great with the family. Just four of us and no more so its just about perfect for road trips.

Typically you want a coil that is twice the length of your shock stroke. I went with a 14" spring so I have a little extra to play with, I have a 6.5" stroke shock and I can't use all the of it. Stock is ~ 4.5".

I am designing a long travel suspension system for the WK so hopefully next winter I will have it ready for a big upgrade. Thinking of + 3.5" per side with extended CV Shafts and fabricated knuckles. Got the upper arm designed and the knuckle, still trying to figure out what I want to do for lower arm and upper control arm mounts/engine cage/coilover mount. I hate the stock lower arm design and mounting.
This sucker is sitting under my desk and I pull it out to kick it and try to figure out what I want to do. But it will probably entail quite a bit of cutting and welding.

Since you are building control arms, would it be possible to move the knuckle forward for more tire clearance at the rear of the fender? I would like to see 23" ride height with 35's and cut/flared fenders.
2007 WK CRD, Bilstein 5100's set at .75" RC rear spacer, OME MD springs F/R. At 22" front 23" rear hub to fender. JBA control arms, 1.25" Spidertrax spacers, Fierce Attitude MT's, 4XGuard front skid, Full LED interior swap, 9012 low, 9011 high/driving light bulb swap. Swirl motor resistor mod, Front pinch weld mod...
Chadwi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2014, 12:42 PM   #28
enkeivette

Since you have jigs, would you consider making any of those arms or delete pipes to order?
enkeivette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2014, 01:16 PM   #29
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadwi View Post
Since you are building control arms, would it be possible to move the knuckle forward for more tire clearance at the rear of the fender? I would like to see 23" ride height with 35's and cut/flared fenders.
I am planning on moving the knuckle forward about 1". That is how I have it drawn at the moment. I would also like more room for the tire. Currently it's closer than I would like to the pinch weld, but baby steps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Since you have jigs, would you consider making any of those arms or delete pipes to order?
Yes, that is the idea. I have always wanted some of these parts and figure others probably would too. I currently stock DPF delete and turbo resonator delete pipes. The others I am working on.
Pro-lite Build
Unread 04-24-2014, 01:19 PM   #30
paroxysym
2007 WK 

those UCAs look incredible man.. great work.

BTW whats the overall goal of this build again? either way the amount of custom parts and time put into making them is def making this a one of a kind.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.