CB Eng - Pro-lite Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > CB Eng - Pro-lite Build

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-14-2014, 10:20 AM   #1
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

CB Eng - CRD Pro-lite Build

Well, I have been putting this off for long enough. I had my Jeep for almost three years now and as quickly as I could I deleted the DPF and installed a tune.
For those of you who don't know me, my name is Christian and I have had Jeeps since I was 16. My 1st Jeep was an 93 XJ, I loved that Jeep and beat the hell out of it and it never let me down. However, my brother rolled it in High School and I had didn't get my own Jeep again until I just graduated college. I bought another XJ which I still have, but it doesn't get much love anymore.

Well this build is going to be a little bit different. I grew up around Green Bay Wis. A neighbor down the road was big into CORR racing when I was a kid. He had a small track on his property and when ever he would practice we would ride our bikes down and watch. From them on I have loved off road racing and go to a few races when I can. If I was rich I would love to race a Pro-4 Truck; however, I am not so this is going to be my version of an off road Jeep built kind of like a Pro-lite. I really like to stance of the pro-lite trucks. I still have to haul the family so most of the creature comforts will be retained. It will be a slow build with a couple different stages. First will be a milder bolt on setup which I will drive for a while then it will get a much more capable setup with roll cage and long travel suspension. Idea is to keep the ride height down, but not limit bump travel. It might sit a tad higher, but will be ~ 1" at max. I will try to keep the weight down, using light weight materials as much as I can and removing excess components that are needed for the end goal.

So I started with a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with the 3.0 CRD QDII. I bought it back in the middle of 2011 with low 30K miles on it. I just hit 70k the other week.

I will try to get some pictures up soon of what I have all done to it. Some of the work I have done are in other threads so I will try to get some of those into this one and add more. I will get a built list of current mods, then go with future upgrades
The Jeep is currently sitting on jack stands in my shop getting the 1st of the suspension put on.
What I have done so far in rough order:
DPF delete, Custom Spooling tunes, remove rear resonator, EHM, Amsoil reusable air filter, turbo resonator delete, turbo intake tube, methanol injection system, SRT8 springs, SRT8 rear sway bar, stock front springs keeping SRT8 rears, 3" intercooler, de chromed stock wheels, 255/70/17 Hankook Dyna Pro ATM's.

2007 3.0L CRD WK LTD - Stage 2 Custom Spooling Tune, Go Fast Parts
Pro-lite Build
2003 F250 6.0L CCLB - Gearhead Tunes
tnadanzig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2014, 10:28 AM   #2
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

Immediate Future Upgrades:
1.5" Spidertrax spacers
OME MD rear springs - rear frame notched to keep ride height down
Custom Rear Control arms using Johnny Joints, DOM tubing, and poly bushings

Custom Rear panhard bar using Johnny Joints, DOM tubing, and poly bushings
Custom Coilover suspension using 2.0 Fox 6.5" coilover shock, custom aluminum mounts and eibach springs

Upper Control Arms - 1.25 uni ball and poly bushings
Fox 2.0 remote res 12" shocks for rear
275/70/18 Goodyear Dura Tracs with 18" Jeep Sahara Wheels

Turbo Upgrade and turbo downpipe
Skid Plates 3/16" aluminum
Bumper upgrade not 100% what to do
Rock sliders, custom aluminum
Fabricated 12 bolt rear diff cover
Big brake kit - wilwood 6 piston calipers with SRT8 rotors, custom machined radial mounts and stainless steel braided lines

battery relocation kit
lots of trimming, not 100% but maybe some custom fiberglass fenders
lots of tube bending

Pro-lite Build
Unread 04-14-2014, 11:05 AM   #3
pancake
2005 WK 

Being a wk... More like pro-heavy, but it sounds like a really unique, awesome build
Unread 04-14-2014, 05:21 PM   #4
IIMacGyverII

2007 WK 

I've been looking forward to your build thread.

N23 Recall Victim
IIMacGyverII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2014, 10:16 PM   #5
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake View Post
Being a wk... More like pro-heavy, but it sounds like a really unique, awesome build
Thanks, it will be heavy for a pro-lite, but light for a wk. I am trying to remove as much weight as possible, but still be able to haul the family. Have most of the rear panels out to see how loud it gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIMacGyverII View Post
I've been looking forward to your build thread.
Thanks.

Turbo out

Downpipe out

Cycling the coilover to see how limited it is with the stock control arms. Should be about ~ 11.5" with the new upper control arm. Still won't be able to use all the shock stroke. Limited by steering and cv shafts.
Pro-lite Build
Unread 04-15-2014, 08:19 AM   #6
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

Sorry this is going to be a pretty random build at times. I have been crazy busy with work, family, Jeep stuff, and some orders. Forgot, this is the man reason I am doing this build right now. Wife ran into a concrete post during the winter and didn't want to pay the deductible. Said I can fix it, but it will cost you a lot more than the deductible. So here we are.

So I don't really feel bad about cutting up some sheet metal anymore to make the tires and suspension work. The goal for the suspension at the moment is 11-12" of travel in the front, 12-13" in the rear and keeping it at relative stock ride height. Might give it a little bit of a lift ~1" to keep the bump travel up.
I really like the Ford Raptors, if they only made one in a diesel. So I am trying to get around the same kind of performance as a stock Raptor.
Pro-lite Build
Unread 04-15-2014, 08:59 AM   #7
skibum555
2005 WK 

Good stuff so far, looks like you have the knowledge and the tools to do some serious fab work! Ill be keeping an eye out for future updates.
MEMBER #105
skibum555 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2014, 09:24 AM   #8
caulk04
2008 WK 

I'd say she whacked the pole...yeesh.
Unread 04-15-2014, 10:17 AM   #9
ryann04
2008 WK 

while your in there, install the reverse parking sensors for her. It might help prevent "next-time".

I enjoy watching you rip apart your jeep, gives me ideas for when I find time to do the same. Keep up the solid work. Looking forward to seeing your 12-bolt diff cover!!
Blue WK Club Member #42 // DIESEL FTW !!!! -Ryan
ryann04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2014, 01:31 PM   #10
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum555 View Post
Good stuff so far, looks like you have the knowledge and the tools to do some serious fab work! Ill be keeping an eye out for future updates.
Thanks, I have been collecting tools for a while and still have lots to learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caulk04 View Post
I'd say she whacked the pole...yeesh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryann04 View Post
while your in there, install the reverse parking sensors for her. It might help prevent "next-time".

I enjoy watching you rip apart your jeep, gives me ideas for when I find time to do the same. Keep up the solid work. Looking forward to seeing your 12-bolt diff cover!!
O, Yeah, she was moving pretty good. It has the reverse parking sensors and backup camera. However, the place were this happened is really busy all the time and has the tiniest parking spots. It was at night and they have several poles like this to protect some stupid signs that should be in the grass not in the actual parking lot. The poles have lots of paint marks on them so it happens quite a bit. No big deal, gives me a reason to tear into it.

Jig I built for the upper control arms. I have one set tacked together, need to finish and start the next one.

Jig I built for the rear control arms and panhard bar.
Pro-lite Build
Unread 04-15-2014, 02:19 PM   #11
BAH101
2008 WK 

Wow, I know how much aluminum cost, those jigs are not cheap just by themselves.
I need a bigger machine shop. Mines in the basement.
Oh, if you are thinking of something that you require that's needs a 3D printer, let me know.
Unread 04-15-2014, 02:21 PM   #12
ryann04
2008 WK 

You need to start selling some of your creations to the public. *us*

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Blue WK Club Member #42 // DIESEL FTW !!!! -Ryan
ryann04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2014, 08:22 AM   #13
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAH101 View Post
Wow, I know how much aluminum cost, those jigs are not cheap just by themselves.
I need a bigger machine shop. Mines in the basement.
Oh, if you are thinking of something that you require that's needs a 3D printer, let me know.
Ya, the aluminum is not cheap, but I love the material its lightweight, strong for its weight, easy to machine, and doesn't corrode as bad as steel. Some of the smaller pieces are leftover scraps from old projects, but I really like having jigs so its a necessary evil to me. Thanks on the 3D printer, I will let you know. We can always use a bigger machine shop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryann04 View Post
You need to start selling some of your creations to the public. *us*

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Anything I make is for sale. However, a few things I would like to beat the crap out of to make sure I don't need to tweak the design.

Going with the weight reduce process and it will take some time, but it will get there. Made some machined aluminum rear sway bar links and mounts. Not 100% if I will use the links as they don't really flex much and are just a hair longer than stock so they might not work with the axle travel I am shooting for. They are lighter than stock. But, I wanted to make a set to see how they came out. I will probably put them on the wife's Jeep. On the next set I will tweak the design, add some length, and add a heim joint or something to get some flex.

Did some more suspension cycling with the tires and will definitely need some fiberglass fenders unless I really want to take like 3" or so off of the fenders. The tires stick out past them so I am not a huge fan of that so it looks like I will eventually need to get some fiber and resin ordered.
Pro-lite Build
Unread 04-16-2014, 08:45 AM   #14
skibum555
2005 WK 

Dang tnadanzig!! just get some jeep logos and Fab up your own entire rig!. those rear control arms look sexy...aaaannnnddd I need some new ones anywho..
MEMBER #105
skibum555 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2014, 09:22 AM   #15
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Wow, never knew you did this much! Amazing skill you have there and amazing work! Im assuming some fender flares will be made soon from what you are saying?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.