Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Catch Can Install - Update

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  PolkaPower 
#1 ·
So I installed a Billet Technology catch can on my '06 Hemi XK back in late June and have been very happy with it's performance. While initially it was not capturing as much oil and crud as I thought it should, since the weather has turned colder I'm finding that the can is filling much more quickly than during the warm weather months.

I changed the oil today right at 3000 miles since the last change and was stunned at how much milky, oily fluid was in the can - along with some particulate at the bottom. I didn't check the can from the last oil change to now and maybe I should have; when I unscrewed the can I spilled some gunk on the shock tower because the can was so full. (Sorry, no pics - hands were oily and I didn't want to grab the phone.)

Anyone else notice the can catching more oil during cold weather vs. warm? I'm going to get in the habit of checking the can between oil changes and dumping it to make sure excess oil isn't getting sucked into the intake manifold.

Very happy I installed the catch can - seeing how much oil would have been flowing through the intake and on to the combustion chambers I'm convinced the 'seat of the pants' performance improvement I'm noticing isn't in my imagination. The Hemi's timing isn't being pulled back to compensate for knocking caused by oil in the cylinders. This mod is a no-brainer for sure. YMMV

Bob

See less See more
#3 ·
What you're finding is very typical in the cooler, damper winter months or even in the summer months in damper climates. Some of us call it "mayonaise". I've filled the can in as little as 800 miles during one winter. At the time I was shocked.....like I am sure you were. Now, in the winter months, I'll check it about every 500-700 miles.

You're also correct about the performance. Here is a quote from Mike at Diablosport about their experience with the vapor recovery system in our Hemi's:

"No, this is where I comment on lost power due to oil contamination in the intake tract/combustion chamber. I will assure you that after having seen as many logs of as many HEMIs as we have here at DiabloSport, not to mention the numerous HEMI vehicles we have had on our dyno for R&D, I can say, without a doubt, that the HEMI's PCV/Oil Vapor control is the worst of anything we deal with. All you have to do is pull your intake manifold to see the puddles of oil collected in there, and realize that it eventually gets in the combustion chamber, and oil don't like to burn, thus, detonation occurs.

There is no gimmick here. HEMI's have KR issues. The KR issues are 99% of the time contributed to by oil contamination in the intake charge, reducing the effective octane in the combustion chamber, and leading to a loss of performance.

Plenty of people have seen solid power gains on even stock vehicles when getting rid of an oil issue by adding a catch can that works properly.

Thanks"

Reactions: TwoBobsKJ
#4 ·
I just bought one - it's been one of those purchases that I've had in the back of my mind as "I should buy one of those soon".

You can read countless threads online going back and forth on the topic. I cleaned my throttle body about 10k miles ago, and if the rest of my intake looks like that - I want to reduce that crud! And I don't want to run Seafoam cleaner in it (nothing against those who swear by it). I just don't want to do it.

I'm not expecting it to transform my Jeep into a mythological beast - just help keep the intake a little cleaner. I'd like to get another 100k out of my Jeep before I go into a new car payment. Maybe it'll add a little value into the longevity of the engine..

#6 ·
I am pretty sure I can vouch for the effectiveness of the catch can on our Jeep Hemi's. I bought mine with ~49K on the clock and started running synthetic oil with a catch can almost immediately. It now has about 108K on it now and I've pulled the heads to replace the valve seats and have other work done on them. Here's what the intake ports looked like when I pulled them.....lots of sticky sludge at the mouth of the intake ports. Where the injector fuel spray hit was clean, as were the exhaust ports. I am sure the sludge came from the first 49K which I am sure was with "dino" oil and no catch can. The combustion chambers were clean and there was very little carbon of the tops of the pistons.

After the first of the year I'll be tearing down my 05 Hemi LX and have the valve seats replaced on it too. I bought it new and have run Mobil 1 synthetic oil since 5987 miles, and a catch can since about 10000 miles. When I tear it down, it'll be interesting to see what the intake ports look like on it. When the time comes, I'll be sure to take pictures and post them.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.