Can't seem to pinpoint squeaking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Can't seem to pinpoint squeaking

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 08-22-2014, 04:42 AM   #1
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

Can't seem to pinpoint squeaking

My jeeps brakes were squeaking pretty bad after a sandy off road trip. But it was easy to figure out that the front left was the squeaker Just standing outside the jeep and having someone drive slowly and apply the brakes you could pinpoint the wheel easily.

But the pads were still about 1/2 life. I figured they probably got some sand stuck between them and the rotor or something, plus I figured they were probably cheap pads from the previous owner. So I went ahead and replaced the front brake pads with Wagner Thermoquiet ceramic pads. I also inspected the rotors, but they were still in pretty good shape. I inspected the rear pads/rotors but those were still at least half life also and didn't appear to be giving me any noise at the time.

That fixed the main squeaking noise. Its now completely silent when applying brakes (Great!) But now I have a strange squeaking that only happens when im NOT applying the brakes, and only happens from a stop to about 20mph. It also sounds like its rotating, its not constant. Its a high pitched "squeak squeak squeak" that increases in frequency until about 20-25mph and then it stops. (It NEVER does it above that speed). Also if I apply the brakes even the slightest bit, it stops until I let go of the brake and it will start back up again until I reach 20mph or so.

I can't seem to pinpoint the squeak. My dad told me it could actually be a u-joint squeaking and not the brakes at all. But I feel like it has to do something with the brakes because it stops when applying the brakes.

Its really frustrating between the squeaking and me also trying to diagnose my front end clunking/popping while turning. My once great sounding jeep is now full of noises.

Anyone have any ideas? I don't have the money or time to replace all the rotors / pads etc. And the pads in front are brand new, everything else is at about 1/2 life. Rotors seemed ok. I can't figure it out.

08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | Saguaro Front Shackles | Blacked out front grille, Blacked out stock chrome wheels | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
hxdrummerxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2014, 06:15 AM   #2
caulk04
2008 WK 

Did you put any caliper grease on the back of the new pads?

Any place the pads contact metal (besides the rotor, obviously) I lightly coat them in caliper grease. It's good stuff, I never have had a brake squeal.
Unread 08-22-2014, 06:46 AM   #3
paroxysym
2007 WK 

mine did the same thing- you did take come brake cleaner to the rotors and the calipers to get any sand out? have you backed up and kept pumping the brakes to knock anything out of there? i ended up replacing my pads and the sound went away... my paids had alittle under 1/2 their life left. just got fed up with the noise and pads arent that expensive
Unread 08-22-2014, 06:03 PM   #4
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caulk04 View Post
Did you put any caliper grease on the back of the new pads?

Any place the pads contact metal (besides the rotor, obviously) I lightly coat them in caliper grease. It's good stuff, I never have had a brake squeal.
I did actually. I put a pretty decent amount on them where they touch the caliper. I'm not sure if they are the cause or not. They are nice and quiet when applying the brakes. It might even be coming from the rear brakes now. It's really hard for me to tell by ear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paroxysym View Post
mine did the same thing- you did take come brake cleaner to the rotors and the calipers to get any sand out? have you backed up and kept pumping the brakes to knock anything out of there? i ended up replacing my pads and the sound went away... my paids had alittle under 1/2 their life left. just got fed up with the noise and pads arent that expensive
I didn't use any cleaner on the rotors and calipers no.I did pump them pretty good numerous times. I put new pads on the front. They are brand new and it stopped the original squeaking while braking. But now I have this secondary squeak, I really do t want to change the front pads again when they are brand new. I might change out the rears just in case. But they still look good.
08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | Saguaro Front Shackles | Blacked out front grille, Blacked out stock chrome wheels | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
Unread 08-22-2014, 09:18 PM   #5
ChrisWK
2005 WK 

Same squeaking from front left side, I regreased pads cleaned rotors. My sqeak comes first start up then do not here it then I stop go to the store start up squeak then stop with driving and stopping normal. I got the so called Wagner Thermo quiets the pad got 6,000 miles on the with new rotors. All I can think next is to replace with new pads, do I have to resurface the rotors to or will I be fine just putting on new pads?

Thanks
Limited HEMI Dark Khaki Pearl SRT8 Full Body Kit, Roof Rails,SRT8 Engine Strut Bar, Lund Rear Spoiler, MYGIG INSTALLED with LOCKPICK, Kenwood Sub,AFE Intake, Taylor Spark Plug Wires,G2 Silver Painted Brake Calipers, Billet Tech Catch Can, Addco Sway Bars Front and Rear, Eibach Lowering Springs,Xenon Volt HID Lows 6k,Chrome SRT Reps
ChrisWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2014, 05:20 AM   #6
paroxysym
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWK
Same squeaking from front left side, I regreased pads cleaned rotors. My sqeak comes first start up then do not here it then I stop go to the store start up squeak then stop with driving and stopping normal. I got the so called Wagner Thermo quiets the pad got 6,000 miles on the with new rotors. All I can think next is to replace with new pads, do I have to resurface the rotors to or will I be fine just putting on new pads? Thanks
Usually with a quality pad, you shouldn't have to buy new rotors.. Any grooves should be taken out by a decent pad.
Unread 08-23-2014, 09:28 AM   #7
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

I don't know. I just replaced those front pads less than a month ago. And they were maybe not the highest quality, but not cheap by any means. They were the most expensive pads that I could get locally without ordering online. And I needed them quick because we were leaving on a trip.

Maybe I'll just start out by changing out the rear pads despite them being in good shape still. Should I run the same Wagner thermoquiet or should I get a higher quality pad online first?
Unread 09-04-2014, 06:55 AM   #8
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

Well, I swapped out the rear brake pads and found the culprit.

The rear pads were not old at all. Probably changed right before I bought the jeep used. They still had at least 3/4 life. They also looked to be in good shape.

But then I noticed something odd about the pad on the driver side rear, one side of the pad was actually separating from the metal part. It was actually lifting off the metal, which would explain why I was getting squeaking UNTIL I applied the brakes (which would have then pushed the pad against the metal backing once again)

So after changing out both rear pads the squeak is gone.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.