Can I adapt satellite radio to my existing radio - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Can I adapt satellite radio to my existing radio

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-10-2009, 02:46 PM   #1
garllo
2007 WK 

Can I adapt satellite radio to my existing radio

I have a 2007 Grand Cherokee. I believe that it has the REF radio with an Aux mode and an mp3 plug. Is that radio satellite ready? If not, what would be the best option to put satellite service in?

garllo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2009, 03:11 PM   #2
colinzj
2006 WK 

REF is satellite ready—you just need to buy the Mopar tuner/antenna kit and hook it up.
Unread 08-24-2009, 07:38 AM   #3
garllo
2007 WK 

Revised post Re satillite radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by garllo View Post
I have a 2007 Grand Cherokee. I believe that it has the REF radio with an Aux mode and an mp3 plug. Is that radio satellite ready? If not, what would be the best option to put satellite service in?
I actually made a mistake in my last post. The radio in my Grand Cherokee is a model RND not REF!
Unread 08-24-2009, 07:46 AM   #4
colinzj
2006 WK 

There is no RND radio.

There is a RND (Random Shuffle) button at the right side of the REF and RAQ radios, though. (And if you've got an aux in, it's not an RAQ.)

The model code's in tiny letters just under the frequency dial, and I'm thinking you had it right the first time.
Unread 08-24-2009, 11:33 AM   #5
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by garllo View Post
I actually made a mistake in my last post. The radio in my Grand Cherokee is a model RND not REF!
Radio List
Unread 08-24-2009, 02:28 PM   #6
garllo
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinzj View Post
There is no RND radio.

There is a RND (Random Shuffle) button at the right side of the REF and RAQ radios, though. (And if you've got an aux in, it's not an RAQ.)

The model code's in tiny letters just under the frequency dial, and I'm thinking you had it right the first time.
You are right! It is REF-What a putts I am. Corvettes I know but Jeeps are new territory for me. It has a jack for MP3 plug in. This is easily adaptable to Sat radio? Is that a dealer only add on? Thank you so much for your help!
Unread 08-24-2009, 03:34 PM   #7
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

REF Radio

Sirius satellite radio

Quote:
I bought the factory Sirius add-on kit for my '07 GC from Just For Jeeps. It was a pretty straightforward install, and was all plug and play with my add-on REC nav radio. It's more expensive than the aftermarket options, but I wanted the factory look and integration with the REC radio. The most difficult part was getting up the courage to take the hole saw to the roof of a brand new vehicle!
LINK

-

Sirius Install (PDF File)

-
Unread 08-25-2009, 11:30 AM   #8
TiestoJeep
2005 WK 

Not sure if your radio is ready for factory sirius, I would guess yes.

I hav the REC nav but no sirius option, I didnt want to spend the money on getting a sirius receiver and antena because I think you have to screw into the roof to install, if nothing else it was too expensive.

I bought an aftermarket sirius radio for like $10 as it was on clearance at sears. I then ran the wire under the head liner to the back, you can not see it at all and put the antena on the roof, it is magnetic. I put the receicver in the small hole to the left of the steering wheel, it fits and works perfect.

I have had it for a couple years no issues at all. On top of that I called sirius to cancel, knowing they would drop my rate, and they did. I think I pay like 8 bucks a month or something, it comes right out of my account.

Much better then paying the 300ish I think for factory system.
TiestoJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.