Can hear brakes dragging slightly, ideas? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Can hear brakes dragging slightly, ideas?

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 08-26-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
cobosoxfan

Can hear brakes dragging slightly, ideas?

Since I've had the Jeep, I have heard a minimal brake drag. The part that bothers me is that when moving in reverse, the rear brakes will squeal. Its not a performance thing, but annoying none the less.

I have a feeling that the rear brakes are the culprit for both issues, so I was wondering if anyone has had the same issues? What did you find was the problem?

I am also feeling that the parking brake may be a part of the problem, if not THE cause. Is there anything that I should be looking for? Adjusting?

Thanks for the help or ideas, before I spend the coin to have Brakes Plus fix the issue.

cobosoxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobosoxfan View Post
Since I've had the Jeep, I have heard a minimal brake drag. The part that bothers me is that when moving in reverse, the rear brakes will squeal. Its not a performance thing, but annoying none the less.

I have a feeling that the rear brakes are the culprit for both issues, so I was wondering if anyone has had the same issues? What did you find was the problem?

I am also feeling that the parking brake may be a part of the problem, if not THE cause. Is there anything that I should be looking for? Adjusting?

Thanks for the help or ideas, before I spend the coin to have Brakes Plus fix the issue.
Why not just spend a couple hours and break down the brakes to see if your pads are done or the rotors are scarred or the parking brake pads are in need of replacing. Brakes, especially disc brakes, are easy to work on so there's no reason to pay a shop to do it.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 07:17 PM   #3
cobosoxfan

Hi Mike,
Yup, totally get your comment; I replaced the front pads a few weeks ago, though my issue is not in lack of enthusiasm to work on the Jeep, it is in time. I work out of state Sunday night through Friday, so I figured I would try to get a focus area or info from someone who may have gone through the same trouble shooting. That way when I have the 30 hours or so at home this upcoming weekend, I can be a bit more knowledgeable going in. Make sense?

~Dave
Unread 08-26-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

^^^ So then is it a performance issue?
As in wobble in the steering wheel while braking, brake fade, lack of stopping, etc. Or is it more an annoyance. If it isn't effecting your braking then tackle it one corner at a time or fronts one day, rears another.
I get the limited time thing, trust me - time is a commodity and when you need it most you don't have any.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
cobosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
^^^ So then is it a performance issue?
As in wobble in the steering wheel while braking, brake fade, lack of stopping, etc. Or is it more an annoyance. If it isn't effecting your braking then tackle it one corner at a time or fronts one day, rears another.
I get the limited time thing, trust me - time is a commodity and when you need it most you don't have any.
It may be a slight performance issue as it's just additional rolling resistance, but more of an annoyance thing. I'll dig into the rear brakes this weekend, I might just jack up front and rear and let the thing run, to see which corner is dragging. Not the safest avenue, but FREE non the less. I have a feeling its the parking brake. Ill post what I find on Sunday.
Unread 09-04-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
cobosoxfan

Ok, well. Didn't have a ton of time this past weekend but I did discover that even with the brakes applied while rolling, the same metal to metal sound can be heard. It definitely sounds like it is the pads dragging on the rotors, but now I know its not the case. I even pushed the brakes and held up the ebrake and the sound was still there.

Ill try to lift all four corners and let it free wheel to see if I can figure it out this weekend. Any thoughts until I can get back home and test it out? I was also thinking I may have accidentally bent a shield and now its touching the rotor. Lets hope that its just that simple.
Unread 09-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #7
cobosoxfan

Update on this... I discovered that one of the shields had been bent in right under the caliper, and I could not see it right away. All good now.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.