Camps build thread! - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Camps build thread!

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 03-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #91
Camp
2005 WK 

Yeah I have no idea but its the only time it rubs.

Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #92
Camp
2005 WK 

It's been raining the last couple days strait here and it's muddy everywhere. So today I snuck away from work and went out and had some fun. Lots of pics. I f***ing love this wk.

View of one of the trails I hit. First is a shot from the top and second is a shot from the bottom after I came back down. Third is a shot of a bastard part that I kept getting stuck, but eventually made it through, trail was pretty steep.

View through the sunroof.

Back at work.

I really need some buddies to go with so I can get some action shots and videos. It was a blast.
Unread 03-15-2012, 03:12 PM   #93
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

^^^lol - the pic with the mud splatter on the roof and sunroof

You know you've had some fun when there's mud on the roof.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2012, 03:23 PM   #94
Camp
2005 WK 

It was a great time. Nothing better in my opinion that mud to play in!
Unread 03-23-2012, 05:39 PM   #95
Camp
2005 WK 

Got my team IFS sticker put on.

Unread 03-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #96
Camp
2005 WK 

Right in the middle of the rear hitch mod. Pics to come when I'm finished.
Unread 03-25-2012, 05:57 AM   #97
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

^^^ I just noticed you painted the rear shocks? Don't like the OME yellow?

I think it gives the jeep some character.................

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2012, 09:41 AM   #98
Camp
2005 WK 

No they are still yellow. Probably just look dark in that pic. I like the yellow.
Unread 03-25-2012, 09:57 AM   #99
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Looks good bro! Liking those muds pics.
Unread 03-25-2012, 03:21 PM   #100
Camp
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
Looks good bro! Liking those muds pics.
Thanks man, it was definitely a good time!
Unread 03-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #101
Camp
2005 WK 

So here is my write up of the rear hitch mod. You first have to take the bumper off. You have to undo the tabs holding the bumper to the fender well. Then take the fender wells out. Take the 4 tabs off that are on top of the bumper under the lift gate.

There are also two screws on either side of bumper under the lift gate that also need to come off.

There is are two screws left to undo, one on each side inside the fender wells. It took me forever to find these because I did not know you had to take the fender well liners out. Here is a pic of where those two screws are. The top hole is where the screw is.

Once I had the bumper off I took the hitch off and grinded it down and took off the tacked on nuts for the bolts.

I replaced the factory bolts with much larger, thicker carriage bolts, 5/8 to be exact. They required a slight modification to fit flush with the hitch. I had to grind a small amount of the metal off the top of them so they would fit in the hitch holes. Also had to put a slot in the top of the carriage bolts so I could get a screwdriver in there to hold them in place while I tightened them down.

Here is a front and back view of it installed.

At first it didn't fit so I had to take it back off and grind even more off. Notice in this picture how it is slanted back slightly so the tire will fit.

And finally the finished product.

The tire does not go completely up against the top of the spare tire well, but hangs down a bit. To make sure it is secure and take some of the weight off the cable that holds it up, I took some motorcycle tie down straps and hooked them through the wheel and secured it to the frame to keep it from moving and take some of the weight. Fits great and now I don't have to worry about it taking up my entire trunk. Pain in the A$$ but very worth it when its done.
Unread 03-25-2012, 03:44 PM   #102
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Excellent write-up.. Do I see a future wheel modification you plan on executing with the paintjob I see there?!?
Unread 03-25-2012, 04:48 PM   #103
Camp
2005 WK 

Thanks. What do you mean AJ?
Unread 03-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #104
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Great job! And that is how it is done! A few guys didn't believe me when I said I fit a brand new 255/75/17 MT up there. After a little massaging it goes right in. I did use a strap on mine though, only because the rear guard bolts in and holds it in place.

Are those the grey Moabs you have there? My brother has those and painted them black in the same fashion as mine. I can post a couple pics if you'd like?

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #105
Camp
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omelet View Post
Great job! And that is how it is done! A few guys didn't believe me when I said I fit a brand new 255/75/17 MT up there. After a little massaging it goes right in. I did use a strap on mine though, only because the rear guard bolts in and holds it in place.

Are those the grey Moabs you have there? My brother has those and painted them black in the same fashion as mine. I can post a couple pics if you'd like?
Yeah I am super stoked that it turned out how it did. When I first put the spare in there and it didn't fit I was pissed But after I ground it down some more and tried again and it fit I was stoked. To be honest that was one of the harder mods I have done. But now that I remember what its like to have a trunk again, I'd do it all over again.

As for the moabs, I'm not sure what color they are. I just thought they were silver? But yeah I would like to see some pics of them, I definitely dig the ones you have. I decided to stick with all my chrome instead of black everything out, but I have thought about going back to black rims at least. Maybe I could get someone to photoshop a pic of my wk with your rims on it.

Tags
boise , idaho , mudding , ome hd , wk

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.