Camps build thread! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Camps build thread!

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 01-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #16
mattydipps
2006 WK 

i got my self a 19 deep socket and a nice breaker bar instead of a tire iron.... gives me alot better leverage and all i have to do is put the end of the jack handle on it and its hardly no effort to take it off lol .... take pics of the pinch weld mod... ill have to do this soon !!

oh, and some before and afters of the spacers

Unread 01-13-2012, 06:08 PM   #17
Camp
2005 WK 

Yeah I have a breaker bar but the socket I have is for my old F150 so I'm just going to go to the local auto shop and pick up a 19 deep socket to go along with it and just carry that also. The factory tire iron is a piecer.

I plan on doing the pinch weld and rear fender trim tomorrow if everything goes as planned, as well as putting the spacers on. I'll take lots of pics and explain it step by step. I know there are a ton of threads on it, but I want all the info right here in one place where I can easily find it again if I need to. And I'll take some before and afters of the spacers.
Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #18
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp View Post

Got the 1.5" spacers in today! Went to try and put them on and realized that the factory tire iron wont fit inside the spacers to bolt them to the jeep. Bummer Guess they will have to wait til tomorrow when I can get one that fits.
Camp - I would advise putting those on with a torque wrench, torqueing them as directed, and rechecking torque as directed and then every 3000 miles thereafter. A breaker bar will get the job done but those spacers have torque specs for a reason.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2012, 02:34 PM   #19
Camp
2005 WK 

Went ahead and took your advice. Picked up a torque wrench and 19 mm deep socket. Gonna put the spacers on at half time. But until then GO NINERS!!!!!
Unread 01-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #20
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp View Post
Went ahead and took your advice. Picked up a torque wrench and 19 mm deep socket. Gonna put the spacers on at half time. But until then GO NINERS!!!!!

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 01-14-2012, 11:37 PM   #21
Camp
2005 WK 

Ok well I decided to stop being lazy and get some stuff done. Went ahead and put the new spacers on. While I had the wheels off I decided to throw on the new ones.

Here are a few before and after pics.

Before:

After:

Unread 01-14-2012, 11:40 PM   #22
Camp
2005 WK 

I don't have my lift installed yet so I wanted to take it for a quick drive to see if I had any rubbing. And of course I did. I had planned on calling it a night after the spacers and wheels. But I didn't want to be driving around and rubbing my wheel well. So I got down and dirty and started doing the pinch weld mod.

First I started by taking off part of the wheel well cover. I was hoping to get away with only taking off the back part, not the whole thing. I just pulled it back and bungeed it to my front tow hook.

So there it was.

I drew my lines on it where I was going to make my cuts.

Forgot to take a picture of the cuts but basically it looks exactly the same as the pic above. Then I started hammering away. I had to stop and take the wheel well cover completely off because you can't get a good swing going with it in the way. So once I had the cover completely off I got it all flattened out.

Then I cleaned it up and got it primed.

And now it's just sitting in the garage drying. I'll cover it up with truck bed liner in the morning. I only did the one side because I don't have any jack stands just one jack, otherwise I would have done both sides. So tomorrow after I put the truck bed liner on I'll go ahead and do the other side. For anyone worried about doing this mod, it's super easy and I'm sure just about anyone can do it.

Here is the finished result, doesn't look as pretty as the primer, but does add extra protection.

Unread 01-15-2012, 09:30 AM   #23
JeepN4KC

Right on Camp! Nice adddition to the build thread. Good job and thanks for the info!

BTW - spacers and meats look good in the side pics you posted!

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 01-15-2012, 09:53 AM   #24
mattydipps
2006 WK 

nice job camp, thanks for the pics ... the wheels and tires look really nice with the spacers on

any rubbing after the pinch weld mod?
Unread 01-15-2012, 12:01 PM   #25
Camp
2005 WK 

Thanks guys, they will look even better once the lift is installed. And I am not sure about rubbing yet because I haven't driven it yet. I still have to do the other side. I'll let you know tomorrow.
Unread 01-15-2012, 12:06 PM   #26
Jvenrick

2007 WK 

Looking great so far dude. Can't wait to see it all lifted up!!
Jvenrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #27
Camp
2005 WK 

So got the pinch weld mod all done and tires put back on. It's a super tight fit and I still have a very slight rub at full lock, but nothing to worry about. It won't matter once I have the lift on anyways. But here's a couple pics showing how tight of a fit it is.

Unread 01-16-2012, 01:42 PM   #28
Northwoods18
2005 WK 

Looking good! I really like white WK's, kinda wish I had waited for one to pop up for sale.
Unread 01-16-2012, 01:59 PM   #29
Camp
2005 WK 

Thanks, yeah I love white. I wont buy a truck anymore unless its white or silver.
Unread 01-16-2012, 02:07 PM   #30
Northwoods18
2005 WK 

That sounds a lot like my Dad, he had 5 or 6 white vehicles in a row... but he finally broke out and bought a black Rubi!

Tags
boise , idaho , mudding , ome hd , wk

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.