Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Camber on adjustable on 05-10 WK's

917 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  PolkaPower 
#1 ·
So I spend all day busting my *** to replace my struts, isolators, and lower control arms and finish just in time to make an appointment at Brake Check for an alignment.

I wait for an hour or so and he comes and tells me they've finished and goes over the printout of the specs before and after. I notice the camber wasn't changed and ask him if the sheet was incorrect. He says my Jeep has no adjustability in camber and shows me balljoints to purchase to correct it.

I show him the FSM on alignment procedure, specs and torque numbers and he says they can't do it. No way in hell is it adjustable, I go out to the bay and show him exactly how to do it and he remains adamant it can't be done.

I tell him I'd pay for the toe and steering wheel alignment but that's it, he takes off 10% and I say eat it I ain't paying for half of a job. Eventually he concedes and hands me the keys to "wash his hands of this mess" and tells. Me. To get out.

Any one else run into this?? I plan on calling corporate and explaining that camber is definitely adjustable on these Jeeps, I don t now how many people have paid money for half of an alignment.

See less See more
#2 ·
His computer probably doesn't have the procedure. The place I had mine done had the procedure on his computer. He had what appeared to be a fairly complex machine though. Also an independent shop, not a chain. He adjusted mine easily, I watched. I would suggest taking to a different shop and verifying they can do it before they start. I will agree that it is a bit abnormal from most vehicles I'm used to working with but easily done none the less.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I just had a similar message from the dealership (not exactly the same, but the same result). I have a 4" superlift, which aligned just fine when I had it installed (apparently). Then after a hard beating in the sand dunes, it was pulling to the right and throwing codes for steering geometry. I assumed I knocked things around, but since I was taking it to the dealer for other warranty items, I had them do an alignment. They say that it can't be aligned "to any spec". At first they said there was a problem with the control arm hardware that was keeping it from being tightened properly, then a couple days later they said it tightened up okay, but nothing they do can get it in alignment.

I picked it up, didn't pay much, and the jeep doesn't seem to pull right anymore. My next step is to get it back to the alignment guy that did the initial alignment, and see what he says.

I'm not too worried about it, but it's annoying. The dealer said the warning lights for DSC and traction control are likely caused by the misalignment, so they suggest I get the alignment problem solved before I pay them to diagnose the codes. Since it's not pulling right anymore, I have half a mind to disconnect the battery or try my scan gauge to see if it can clear them.

#5 ·
I just had a similar message from the dealership (not exactly the same, but the same result). I have a 4" superlift, which aligned just fine when I had it installed (apparently). Then after a hard beating in the sand dunes, it was pulling to the right and throwing codes for steering geometry. I assumed I knocked things around, but since I was taking it to the dealer for other warranty items, I had them do an alignment. They say that it can't be aligned "to any spec". At first they said there was a problem with the control arm hardware that was keeping it from being tightened properly, then a couple days later they said it tightened up okay, but nothing they do can get it in alignment.

I picked it up, didn't pay much, and the jeep doesn't seem to pull right anymore. My next step is to get it back to the alignment guy that did the initial alignment, and see what he says.

I'm not too worried about it, but it's annoying. The dealer said the warning lights for DSC and traction control are likely caused by the misalignment, so they suggest I get the alignment problem solved before I pay them to diagnose the codes. Since it's not pulling right anymore, I have half a mind to disconnect the battery or try my scan gauge to see if it can clear them.
Yup itll throw Traction control lights and say "service electric brake system" if the wheel is off, theres a module in there to monitor the angle it seems.

Looking back on my experience I wonder if they just wanted to sell me parts.

#4 ·
took me 3 times to the same shop to get camber set after my BB lift. The lower control arms hold all the adjustability. Need to find a shop with an open mind and since you have the procedure already, just show them.. if they dont understand, move on to the next place. Last resort go to the dealer. if they cannot do it then they shouldnt be in buisness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.