Calling all 2007 WK diesel CRD owners! - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Calling all 2007 WK diesel CRD owners!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!Bushed Sleeves & Poly Bushings!

Unread 07-18-2013, 08:00 PM   #121
jediknight
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco
later... I just remembered the spare engine in the garage. I pulled the crank shaft sensor to use as a spare

Tools: You can access this component from above without removing the tcase skid plate but it will be by feel. Otherwise you will need to figure out how to access this sensor (under by removing skid plate, or from side by removing front wheel). The electrical connection comes right off by pressing the tab underneath plug with thumb. The bolt can be removed with a 1/4 inch socket (6 or 12 pt).
Based on this picture, I presume its normal to have oil on the crank sensor ??

Unread 08-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #122
SoilandCRD

Need help!

Local dealer Lithia can't fix my CRD. Saying they don't have the tooling or expertise to replace $4,000 manifold that has an integrated controller for the turbo or something rather. They are putting my Jeep back together and giving it back in shambles. Car is throwing codes and limping.

What to do? Anyone know a good 3.0 liter V6 CRD mechanic in the NorthBay of SF?

Please help! E mail me at: mark@soilandrocks.com

Many thanks!!!
SoilandCRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 10:51 PM   #123
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Seems to me that they should know all that up front before they take anything apart.

Do you know what the codes are? and what they mean?
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 07:50 AM   #124
SoilandCRD

Chirps,

Thanks for responding.

Dealer is gonna hand over codes and diagnosis today so we can decide what to do.

Wonder if Green Tune downloaded is the solution if it is the swirl valve?
Unread 08-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #125
Chirpz

2007 WK 

If the problem turns out to be the swirl motor (very common) then the GDE Tune is the best fix. It eliminates the swirl motor thus nullifying the whole issue. There is also a cheap "resistor fix" for the problem. Many have gone that route because it only costs .25c or so for a resistor. The tune is expensive but way cheaper than having a dealer fix your swirl motor and it has lots of nice benefits...like more power, better mileage...etc.
Its amazing.
Unread 08-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #126
Chirpz

2007 WK 

The problem with dealers and swirl motors is that they just don't have the time to do the job carefully...so they wreck the manifold linkage in the process (easy to do) and then it costs lots of extra bucks to replace the manifolds. When I first took mine to the dealer with a swirl problem they took 2.5 hours to figure out what was wrong, then quoted me $1250 fo fix it....but if the linkage broke they said it would be about $3500 more on top of the 1250. I left when I heard that because I had already read about the whole issue on this forum.

I guess dealers have to go by the book. When you take them a bad swirl motor they get out the "how to" manual and read. 1. Remove the Turbo.... then they go over to the page that tells them how to remove the Turbo and it says. 1. Pull the engine..... so they pull the engine, pull the turbo, then fix the swirl motor.... and if they get careless with the linkage...they replace the intake manifolds too. OUCH!!

If you are patient and take your time and don't read the dealer's "how to book", you can replace the swirl motor without pulling the turbo and without pulling the engine. Duh.

Hopefully the swirl is your problem and you will have two options to fix it yourself cheap.

I don't remember the codes for it right now... you can find them on the forum.... but the symptom are: Throttle sensor light come on in the dash display (its the little lightning bolt), car goes into limp mode and has no power, certain codes appear in a code reader. Sometimes, you can smell a faint electrical smell up to a week or so before the swirl motor fails. You may also have a faint burnt oil smell caused by oil dripping on the swirl motor and running off onto the hot engine.
Unread 08-09-2013, 09:49 PM   #127
SoilandCRD

Thanks! I think this describes the symptoms exactly.
Unread 08-17-2013, 07:06 PM   #128
2007CRD
2007 WK 

Crankshaft sensor/swirl motor

I have experienced the same symptoms and have replaced nearly everything including the crankshaft sensor to no avail. You may want to see my other post on this site -

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/h...-code-1358214/

Today I spoke with one of the few people who was successful in repairing this problem and has been driving his CRD for over a year with no further problems. Many of us have gone through these same issues, after spending 6K without results my vehicle has been parked 2 months now but hopefully getting the actuator rebuilt will put an end to it.
2007CRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 03:29 PM   #129
jaje
2007 WK 

I made a post on my blog to help CRD owners. I often have to do searches constantly on the forum and read multiple links to get the info I need. I'm welcome to help create a useful FAQ for owners of CRDs so we have one place to go and get information on fixes / DIY / info / etc. I work, race and have a son who plays soccer and travels b/c of it so my time might be limited but I'll always make edits where needed. Thanks in advance.

http://conflictedracer.wordpress.com...erokee-diesel/
#74 Exocet - NASA ST3 / E0
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #130
2007CRD
2007 WK 

I am very happy to report that so far replacing the Actuator has worked! I did the work two days ago and so far my CRD runs great, just like when it was new. The repairs were not too difficult but small hands would be an asset (I have very large hands). 10 mm socket and a 10 mm flexible head ratchet wrench (available Sears or most auto parts store) and a snap ring removal pliers (offset design) was all the tools I needed, oh, a magnet to retrieve those dropped bolts and snap ring.

One thing that I found that made it easier was unbolting the turbo cover so it could be moved to allow more space to work. For those non-mechanic people like myself, this is a big aluminum looking thing right at back of motor that looks all wrinkled or has a kind of crushed look.

Also rather than ordering the Actuator from Europe, I found and ordered mine from XsBoost Turbochargers, LLC in Manchester, Ohio 330-830-4047.

Their website is www.xsboostturbochargers.com They charge $300 but that includes a $100 core charge if you ship your old one back bringing total charge to $200. They even pay shipping, both ways via UPS. Took me 3 days from date order to receipt of mine, I shipped the old one back this afternoon.

Ed M
Unread 10-13-2013, 09:40 AM   #131
brucecormier
2008 WK 

Hi, I'm looking for a source to explain some OBD codes that have caused my check engine light to activate. I have a 2008 Grand Cherokee with the 3.0l diesel engine. The codes are C3100, C3206, C3306 and C3406. I recently changed the Glow Plug Power Module because I had a code which indicated a failure of the module. Thanks.
brucecormier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #132
2007CRD
2007 WK 

Codes

Not sure where you are getting those codes from, all the ones I have seen are prefaced with a P, not a C. Even then none going to the 3000 range. Following is a link to codes for 2008 Jeep. http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/
Unread 10-15-2013, 10:53 PM   #133
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

You can get codes that start with c if it deals with the transfer case, but they don't go that high. I think you have a problem with your scanner. The codes you listed are not obd codes. I have the dealer service manual and there are no codes like you have. Which leads me to believe its your scanner, what are you using to get the codes.
2007 3.0L CRD WK LTD - Stage 2 Custom Spooling Tune, Go Fast Parts
Pro-lite Build
2003 F250 6.0L CCLB - Gearhead Tunes
tnadanzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 03:25 AM   #134
96elefant

My 06 Commander crank angle sensor failed on hols with a horse float on first big ride on a truck but not the last
96elefant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2014, 12:13 PM   #135
coupdevill

Looking for Buying Advice 07-09 WK Diesel CRD

Since this thread addresses the most common issues of the 07-09 WK Diesel CRD's I wanted to find out what all of you experienced owners would do if you were setting out to buy a used 07-09 WK Diesel CRD.

I want one because:

My 07' Suburban is using a lot of fuel and oil
I like the look and drive of the GC
I like Diesel
The Overland/Limited Editions are well appointed

Questions:

If I avoid the 07' can I avoid many of the issues?
Are there mods I should do on the front side?
I figure I can get a low mileage 07-09 WK Diesel CRD for $18-$22K

Advice? Stay away or take the plunge?

coup
coupdevill is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.