Calling all 2007 WK diesel CRD owners! - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Calling all 2007 WK diesel CRD owners!

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-01-2012, 07:10 PM   #106
alrhall
2007 WK 

Can't Spell

Actualy its a Fumoto Valve.

http://www.qwikvalve.com/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=searc h-oil-drain-valve

alrhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 02:05 PM   #107
joediesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirpz View Post
That was a pretty good run down on an oil change. I do not have the funami valve but will check it out for future. You can use a standard filter wrench if you remove the engine cover first, but be very careful... Having the correct wrench is better but as yet, I have not been able to find one.

I usually pour two quarts down the filter canister, This procedure was recommended by jeep service mechanics and is important to do.

Most important is use the correct oil. Look it up in your owner's manual and go by the spec number. I buy mine a Napa. It synthetic and expensive. I don't remember the exact number right now but it is ???.229 The .229 is what makes it hard to find. Napa also has the filter for $12+ bucks.

Check out the thread about "swirl motor failure" and take steps to prevent it. It is nasty. I replaced mine and then did the "elephant hose mod" to prevent future failure. To have a dealer replace your swirl motor costs anywhere from 1200 to 4000 depending on how clumsy they are. I replaced mine for about 420 and did the work myself as have others on this forum. If you have this engine, you will have this problem. You can also cure it by purchasing the "GDE Tune". This deletes the swirl from the system (shuts it off), and gives you 40 extra HP and 2-5 extra MPG. There is a thread about it.

Overall, I really like mine. It runs real sweet.

Wish I knew about this forum sooner!!! 2007 GR Cherokee CRD has been at a dealer for 3 weeks now. Latest "problem" is a failed swirl motor, estimated labor: $1200.00.

This is after numerous other problems to correct the loss of power issue with the ETC dash display blinking. Repairs up to the swirl motor diagnosis amount to $1400.00. Dealer has no clue on what to do. Admits they have never seen the Mercedes diesel before. Next closet dealer admits to only having serviced two Mercedes diesels. Calls to Chrysler/Jeep has not helped. Latest comment from Jeep zone rep: "we have not had any problems like this with the Mercedes diesel".

Worst part....wife just returned from dealer in a panic (had to get some things out of the car). She tells me the engine is out of the car and nothing but wires and tubes are visable under the hood.

Can anyone direct me to some help.....????
joediesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 08:31 PM   #108
Blueboar

Not that it will help Call Chrysler Cares..... If they do not work on diesel get it out now. Even if they have experience they will screw it up... I took mine to my Mercedes 300CD mechanic for the oil cooler failure......right blow the swirl.... did those 5 months earlier....
Blueboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #109
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joediesel View Post
Wish I knew about this forum sooner!!! 2007 GR Cherokee CRD has been at a dealer for 3 weeks now. Latest "problem" is a failed swirl motor, estimated labor: $1200.00.

This is after numerous other problems to correct the loss of power issue with the ETC dash display blinking. Repairs up to the swirl motor diagnosis amount to $1400.00. Dealer has no clue on what to do. Admits they have never seen the Mercedes diesel before. Next closet dealer admits to only having serviced two Mercedes diesels. Calls to Chrysler/Jeep has not helped. Latest comment from Jeep zone rep: "we have not had any problems like this with the Mercedes diesel".

Worst part....wife just returned from dealer in a panic (had to get some things out of the car). She tells me the engine is out of the car and nothing but wires and tubes are visable under the hood.

Can anyone direct me to some help.....????
Well that sure sounds like a nightmare alright. Has there been any progress since your last post?
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #110
fishinbama
2007 WK 

Omg, engine out over the swirl motor! When a small resistor/tune could make it go away.
fishinbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2012, 07:08 AM   #111
g1smo

Hi all newbie here.

i have the same engine in my 300c, and there is a cheap fix for the swirl motor problem cost around 20 cents to fix (4.7k ohm resistor)

unplug the swirl motor and plug the resistor in, as photo below

lots it the Uk have done this and have no problems,
mtx1975_photo1.jpg  
g1smo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2012, 09:59 AM   #112
MontreeAL
2008 WK 

Another Swirl Motor Solution...

I took my diesel to an independent shop specializing in VW's with a print out of the repair procedure. I use these guys for my wife's Jetta and my oil changes. It is a delicate procedure best done it seems by a traditional mechanic with lots of experience and steady hands.

Good luck.

P.S. I was charged a total of $1,065 for the swirl repair which includes motor & fuel filter, labour ($360!) & good ol' tax. I count myself one of the lucky ones.
MontreeAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2012, 08:06 AM   #113
Taquache
2007 WK 

See the last few posts on this thread:

I'm working on developing a direct plug n play resistor mod that does not use electrical tape or pushing the resistor into the plug. This will basically be a plug in cap with the resistor installed in it so that the plug is sealed off weather tight.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/c...18/index5.html
Taquache is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 08:59 AM   #114
Taquache
2007 WK 

Question for CRD owners:

Can some of you pull the oil filler cap while the jeep is idling and report back any noise/blow by smoke that you notice?

Mine seems incredibly excessive though no CEL or drivability issues are occurring. I've got around 96,000 miles on my jeep and compared to all of my other diesels this engine makes the most noise with the oil cap off and smokes from the CCV more than the 300,000 mile 12v Cummins in the stable...
Unread 01-31-2013, 10:34 AM   #115
nicksut
2007 WK 

Is the resistor a band aid?

I had the swirl valve issue about 18 months ago and by the time I was finished, it cost me about $1,500. Along with replacing the motors, I had a large plastic exhaust-gas recirc housing installed that, as I understand it, redirects oily exhaust gas so it doesn't gum up the swirl valve motors again. Since then, I've noticed a little less power. Is that to be expected? It doesn't bother me that much as there's plenty of power left, but talk of a different resistor has me confused. Does that just increase the voltage to the swirl valve motors so they can overcome the adhesion created by oil residues? Sounds like a band air fix that won't solve the long term problem, but I'm no mechanic and probably don't understand the issue.

Anyway, can anyone chime in on the slight loss of power?

Thanks, Nick
nicksut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 04:59 PM   #116
Taquache
2007 WK 

The resistor is a swirl motor "delete" with out tuning from one of the tuning companies. This allows you to disable the swirl motor with out limp mode or the CEL.

I'm not sure on the loss of power as my jeep with the resistor seems to be driving just fine.
Unread 01-31-2013, 11:17 PM   #117
nicksut
2007 WK 

That's a very different approach to the problem, and a lot less expensive! Thanks for clarifying.
nicksut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 11:38 PM   #118
LifeOnABoard
2008 WK 

Our 08 swirl motor failed at just over 50,000 miles. The local podunk dealer in NH did the repair and since there was an extended emissions warranty we only paid for a deductible. I believe it was $100. I felt lucky at the time, knowing how much the actual cost was. It took 1-2 weeks to get it done. I'm sure they put MANY hours into it.
LifeOnABoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #119
bugsybdb
2007 WK 

Merlin TEc I hope you are still reading this thread.
I have a 2007 Grand Cherokee with the 3.0 CRD engine with 56000 miles. I have owned this Jeep for approximately 5 months now without any problems. I have the Green Diesel Tune for about three months. About three weeks ago while driving down a mountain I had worn bushing/mount on the front differential. That was fixed no problem. Three weeks later I was driving on a 50 degree day no rain, about 1.5 miles, and all of a sudden ALL the my lights on the dash lit up and was dinging. The Jeep started running rough and there was a warning saying “transmission over temp”, I guess I was in limp mode. I pulled into a parking lot and shut it down. I used my Green Diesel flash reader to try and read an error code. The tuner did not read at all stated not hooked up properly error 0001. I reconnected it and same thing. I tried to reprogram the tune to the original and got the same message but only error 0002. I tried to restart the Jeep and it started up then quickly shut itself off. I waited ten minutes and same thing started then shut itself off. When I was about to call a tow truck I tried to start it again and it started without a problem or a code. I was also able to reprogram it back to the original setting, but there was no error codes detected. I ran it home without any issue about 1.5 miles. I put the Green Diesel tune back on and ran it again about 3 to 4 miles without any issues. Would this be a transmission sensor causing the warning and causing limp mode, or maybe the crankshaft sensor, then wouldn’t allow it to restart to prevent damage? Or is this an electrical problem? Need help please.
bugsybdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #120
suzieque
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsybdb View Post
Merlin TEc I hope you are still reading this thread.
I have a 2007 Grand Cherokee with the 3.0 CRD engine with 56000 miles. I have owned this Jeep for approximately 5 months now without any problems. I have the Green Diesel Tune for about three months. About three weeks ago while driving down a mountain I had worn bushing/mount on the front differential. That was fixed no problem. Three weeks later I was driving on a 50 degree day no rain, about 1.5 miles, and all of a sudden ALL the my lights on the dash lit up and was dinging. The Jeep started running rough and there was a warning saying “transmission over temp”, I guess I was in limp mode. I pulled into a parking lot and shut it down. I used my Green Diesel flash reader to try and read an error code. The tuner did not read at all stated not hooked up properly error 0001. I reconnected it and same thing. I tried to reprogram the tune to the original and got the same message but only error 0002. I tried to restart the Jeep and it started up then quickly shut itself off. I waited ten minutes and same thing started then shut itself off. When I was about to call a tow truck I tried to start it again and it started without a problem or a code. I was also able to reprogram it back to the original setting, but there was no error codes detected. I ran it home without any issue about 1.5 miles. I put the Green Diesel tune back on and ran it again about 3 to 4 miles without any issues. Would this be a transmission sensor causing the warning and causing limp mode, or maybe the crankshaft sensor, then wouldn’t allow it to restart to prevent damage? Or is this an electrical problem? Need help please.
this is sometimes a symptom of a failing battery, failing alternator or both. how old is your battery? the alternator sits below the oil fill hole and often times the dealer or owner accidentally spills oil while filling the engine. the spilled oil runs down to the alternator and kills the alternator.
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.