Calling all 2007 WK diesel CRD owners! - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Calling all 2007 WK diesel CRD owners!

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs and

Unread 12-08-2008, 07:55 AM   #61
wookiee
Bought, not built.

2007 WK 

Nice going. Once they realize MB had a recall, it should be a no-brainer.

07 Steel Blue Overland CRD QDII | Bilsteins | 4xguard Matrix | Rear SRT8 SwayBar | DashHawk w/egt | Provent | MBRP XP Exhaust | New Intake Tube & Seal + EHM | Alternator Splash Guard | Crank Sensor | GPS AL InMotion Hack | Swirl motor bypass | Fuelly.com - wookiee | Blue WK Club Member #13 | 100,000 Mile Club | Dogpiled Club | flashpaq 3872 for those no 4-low days |
wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2008, 07:38 PM   #62
2007GrandDiesel
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiee View Post
Nice going. Once they realize MB had a recall, it should be a no-brainer.
I wish it had been that simple... I have called them and written them letters for nearly a year before I got even that far. Finally had to send a registered letter to several people there including the chief. I agree one would think it would be a no brainer, but I believe they are a very political organization from what I have heard.
2007GrandDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2008, 08:29 PM   #63
SMOOTHBORE
2008 WK 

Scary Situation

Hello all
I am brand new to this forum.
I was driving home two nights ago and my GC 2007 CRD died on the highway while doing 80km/h. Their was a fairly good "clunk" and the dash board lit up like a christmas tree. I pulled over as the RPMs seemed to drop to idle right away. I put it in park and noticed I had Engine warning, low oil, and a (Z) which i am not sure what it is (my GC is at a Jeep delership right now) so no manual on hand. I tried putting it into drive and there was no power and a knocking could be heard. After spending a couple of minutes with vehicles buzzing past me I decided I had to find a safe place to park while I called in a tow. I tried again and was able to pull over properly. The dealer has only called to tell me it is electrical and they will need it another day. Some time ago I noticed a plastic burning smell coming from the engine bay. I checked out this site to find that some other members noticed it as well and were advised that it was probably a byproduct from the emission system. I am now thinking that this may have been a symptom of what I am going through now!
SMOOTHBORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2008, 07:07 PM   #64
2007GrandDiesel
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOOTHBORE View Post
Hello all
I was driving home two nights ago and my GC 2007 CRD died on the highway while doing 80km/h. Their was a fairly good "clunk" and the dash board lit up like a christmas tree. I pulled over as the RPMs seemed to drop to idle right away. I put it in park and noticed I had Engine warning, low oil, and a (Z) which i am not sure what it is (my GC is at a Jeep delership right now) so no manual on hand. I tried putting it into drive and there was no power and a knocking could be heard. After spending a couple of minutes with vehicles buzzing past me I decided I had to find a safe place to park while I called in a tow. I tried again and was able to pull over properly. The dealer has only called to tell me it is electrical and they will need it another day. Some time ago I noticed a plastic burning smell coming from the engine bay. I checked out this site to find that some other members noticed it as well and were advised that it was probably a byproduct from the emission system. I am now thinking that this may have been a symptom of what I am going through now!
Not 100% clear from your description what it might be - did it die completely and you could not restart it or did you lose power but it stayed running? If it died, were you able to restart it right away? How many miles? Have you had the oil changed before? If the oil was filled wrong, you could have a bad crankshaft. Could be covered under warranty though. Good luck, keep us posted.
Unread 12-17-2008, 10:19 PM   #65
SMOOTHBORE
2008 WK 

Not 100% clear from your description what it might be - did it die completely and you could not restart it or did you lose power but it stayed running? If it died, were you able to restart it right away? How many miles? Have you had the oil changed before? If the oil was filled wrong, you could have a bad crankshaft. Could be covered under warranty though. Good luck, keep us posted.

Ok, just got my GC back today.
To answer
1. No, it did not die completely. It just felt like it was thrown out of gear into neutral and the engine went into idle. Essentially it lost power but kept running.
2. Never lost engine so no restart. Just a lot of gear shifting.
3. 19,438 km
4. Changed the oil with a Mercedes-Benz dealer as it was @ 100 $ cheaper (as oppossed to $250 at the Chrysler/Dodge dealer) but it was with the correct oil according to the invoice ( Mobil 1 ESP 5w40)....been watching that one closely.
5. Warranty covered
6. After reading about the sensor replacement Part 05175763AB Sensor(in this site), I had crankshaft position sensor part # 08158039 replaced by crankshaft position sensor 68039478AA.
here is the question from me.
Am I going to suffer again as there seems to be a lot of these sensors being replaced.
By the way my last oil check from this fiasco also revealed that im down to 1/3...is this normal, where did my other 2/3s go?
Please advise
Thanks all
Unread 12-18-2008, 08:32 AM   #66
2007GrandDiesel
2007 WK 

You might want to re-post this as its own topic in the actual forum. It does not appear as if you have the CPS issue, and you ask questions that would more likely get answers as a new thread.
Unread 12-18-2008, 11:00 PM   #67
JeepAVM

Similar thing happened to me but my engine cut out completely. Search for my post. It was a sensor. I also had the enginge cut, same warning lights as you (Z) and then after 15 minutes stopped on the side of the road I could start up again but only run for a few minutes before it cut out again. Has not happened since (nearly a year ago now).
Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOOTHBORE View Post
Hello all
JeepAVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2009, 10:22 AM   #68
SMOOTHBORE
2008 WK 

You need them to replace the crankshaft sensor, that was the outcome of mine. Dont wait for it to happen in a worse situation
Unread 01-17-2009, 06:16 AM   #69
ctate
2007 WK 

Has there been an acutal recall for the crankshaft sensor? The dealer has replaced a sensor or two and I'm not sure if that is one of them.
ctate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2009, 08:27 AM   #70
2007GrandDiesel
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctate View Post
Has there been an acutal recall for the crankshaft sensor? The dealer has replaced a sensor or two and I'm not sure if that is one of them.
The recalls I mentioned are not for the Jeep, but the Jeep has the identical engine, with the same sensor that was bad. NHTSA has opened up an investigation after receiving 24 complaints of stalling on the Jeep diesel. So the answer to your question is probably best stated as "not yet"
Unread 01-18-2009, 10:35 AM   #71
bobholthaus
2007 WK 

I had my Jeep in for the oil change this week and talked to the service manager about the sensor. His response was, "there is no sense in replacing it until it fails because the one you replace it with will just be the same as the one that is in there". Classic "this is why Chrysler is about to fail" answer.
'07 GC CRD Limited - OEM 08 HID's - OEM 08 Chrome 18" Wheels - 265/60-18 Bridgestone Revo 2s - Valentine 1 - Weathertech Cargo Liner & Mats - UConnect - PIAA 1000 Driving Lights - Garmin 750 - Cargo Area LEDs - Mopar Remote Start - HID fogs
bobholthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2009, 10:48 PM   #72
Crookster777
2010 WK 

Hey guys,

I wanted to let you guys know that my HEMI was stalling out too. I took it in to the dealer and they replaced the PCM, throttle body, MAF sensor and thats about it. Anyways that did not fix it. It stalled once again while I was going 60 mph on the West Side Highway. I went back to the dealer and they replaced the crankshaft sensor and it hasnt stalled since. So this problem is not just the 3.0's.

-Joe

HEMI Club Member #1
If you have a Hemi please join: http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=506901
NightCrew #127
Crookster777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2009, 01:18 PM   #73
merlinTec

Hi
All you export vehicles get them to do this flash as well http://www.wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wh_1800608a.pdf Don't know if it was just me but the one I did today went so much better after, even the gear change was better.
Unread 03-17-2009, 02:10 PM   #74
suzieque
2008 WK 

this may be a stupid comment, but sensor failures happen all the time in different vehicles at different times in the life of the vehicle. I had a shift sensor fail on my Intrepid that cause the transmission to stay in 2nd gear (limp mode).
So my point is not every TSB or sensor failure should or will result in a recall.

Recall's are generally related to a failure that could cause death/injury to the driver or other drivers, e.g. seatbelt failure, ball joint failure, fuel leak.

Just my 2 cents.
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2009, 02:58 PM   #75
merlinTec

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieque View Post
this may be a stupid comment, but sensor failures happen all the time in different vehicles at different times in the life of the vehicle. I had a shift sensor fail on my Intrepid that cause the transmission to stay in 2nd gear (limp mode).
So my point is not every TSB or sensor failure should or will result in a recall.

Recall's are generally related to a failure that could cause death/injury to the driver or other drivers, e.g. seatbelt failure, ball joint failure, fuel leak.

Just my 2 cents.
Hi
Good point but if it cuts out with no warning it could be dangerous + they have made it a recall on the sprinter.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.