Cable chains for snow and ice? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Cable chains for snow and ice?

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORClayton Off Road XJ Long Arm Suspension Systems!

Unread 02-03-2008, 07:03 AM   #1
Laredo Man
2006 WK 

Cable chains for snow and ice?

I tried to drive into my buddy's cottage last night and got stuck. He lives on a back lake and the road down to his cottage is not plowed. We received a good dumping of snow recently, but my buddy told me he had driven in with his GMC Envoy, so I figured the WK should have no problem. Prior to our snow fall we had a thaw and then a re-freeze so what I discovered under the snow was ice. Once I lost some forward momentum the tires dug through the snow to the ice and then just spun. I had to resort to getting my wife to drive (embarrassing) and me push, to get us back out the way we came in. My wife and I ended up walking in. I found out my buddy had put on cable chains to get in. He said he tried without them and just spun as well.
Question is. Has anyone tried them and how did they work on the WK? The manual reccommends not using them. I can't see any other way to get the proper traction in this scenerio. You can have the best four wheel drive system in the world, but without traction you aren't going anywhere.
I must say it was cool however to watch the QTII system send the drive to the front wheels then the back and also all four in a vain attempt to gain traction. Great system, just no sticktion.
I have the P23565R17 Goodyear Wrangler HP's wich I will replace before next winter as I don't find them that good in the snow. Do you think there will be a clearence problem with the cable chains and the dreaded ball joint bolt?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Laredo Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2008, 07:21 AM   #2
WKTrailRunner
2007 WK 

Check out tirechains.com and look at the SAE Type S chains. It might help.
WKTrailRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2008, 12:20 PM   #3
No_Return
2008 JK Wrangler 

A few miles on cable chains probably won't hurt anything... as long as you are going slow < 30 MPH. But in general they suck. Worse they can become entangled in the axles etc and are a real nighmare to untangle read "cut off" when this happens.

Best suggestion is get some better tires or if you have more than 50% of the tread left take them to any major tire shop & have your tires sipped for about the same price as decent cable chains.
Unread 02-03-2008, 12:53 PM   #4
iere

07 crd manual says chains are fine for the back.

I consider cables to be light duty, read what they are rated for weight wise and see how well they are made. Used to be they would not last long but a set of chains could last until you got tired of the old design or something.

V bar chains do ok on ice I think, not as nice as studded tires but some chains really suck at getting traction on ice.

For the very very rare use some cables would do ok I guess.

I plan to get some chains because a loaded grand with a small trailer might be more than cables will handle well.

Would some sand have helped you on that ice?

A tool to rough up the ice might also have helped. I know a pickaxe can rough up some ice to get a vehicle over what appears to be a perfect ice skating rink that used to be part of a driveway. Not fun or quick or easy, but cables and chains are money. When I was younger a bag of sand or the pickaxe were right there to use.

I recomend running some searches on chains and cables and seeing what folks who really use the stuff like.

I was just always told that cables were light duty and did not hold up so I figure if I plan to keep my jeep for a decade a set of chains are worth the cost.
Unread 02-03-2008, 03:11 PM   #5
RFisher

Good Year "Fortera Triple Tread" Tires are certified for Ice, Snow, Rain. Dealer gave me a notice that you cannot use chains on these tires, have to use cables. The tires factory installed are not Triple treads. Just regular Fortera as I can see.
RFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2008, 03:02 PM   #6
rbrtcrtr

Should snow chains be used in pairs?

I too am considering snow chains for additional traction while off-road (logging roads) during winter deer hunts. I am not sure, but should I chain all my wheels? Any experiences using traction chains?? Please share. Thanks.
rbrtcrtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2008, 01:56 AM   #7
iere

I don't recall how strongly the owner's manual said to not put chains on the front.

These days most say not to put stuff on the front because when the steering wheel is turned to lock and you hit a bump you might not have clearance for the chains and those chains are going to tear some stuff up.

If I was worried about it I would check available clearance myself and decide what I thought.

I am planning to keep my jeep stock for 100k miles or so. That means stock tire size, stock rims, and stock suspension.

So I figure next fall I will order myself some chains. I still need to see what is available for 17 inch aluminum rims since I don't want them tearing up my rims if possable.

My tires are not triple tread.

Overall you have to decide for yourself what will work.

If I felt I need all 4 chained up I would make sure I had clearance and I would make sure to not make tight turns.

But I won't push this jeep to its limits anytime soon, so some rear chains for emergencies is all I am considering.
Unread 02-06-2008, 03:03 AM   #8
ukliberty
2003 KJ Liberty 

Hi have a look at www.autosock.com, I dont know if they are available in US, but a friend tried them on an X5 when he went skiing and said they were great. Looks like they would be suitable for front as well as I cant see this design causing any clearance issues
ukliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2008, 05:01 PM   #9
Laredo Man
2006 WK 

Winter traction

Thanks for all your suggestions. I have ordered two pairs of emergncy strap on chains from www.tirechains.com for the rear and a pair of Autosocks for the front (Google Autosocks for their site). This should provide me with enough emergncy traction when needed. Neither of these items are considered "chains" for Provincial or State laws, but for my purposes they should be fine. I am heading back up to my buddies cottage the weekend of the Feb 16th. I'll let you know how they work.
Unread 02-18-2008, 08:13 PM   #10
NDSU_Bison
2014 WK 

Here in the Northwest, chains can be required regardless of what tires you have. I've never had any problems with cable chains breaking or coming off. Just put them on following the directons and don't go driving 55 MPH and you're OK. Of course, you probably should't be going more than 30 if it's bad enough to need chains.
NDSU_Bison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2008, 12:33 AM   #11
array

i think you better go with real winter tires. GY wrnagler are the worst tire i ever had. i had them until they worn, and by every snow falls, i got stucked. in 15 - 20 cm of snow.
stock tires and all-year tires arent good if you are living in such conditions.
www.cardomain.com/id/array
array is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2008, 07:53 PM   #12
Laredo Man
2006 WK 

Chains

Thanks for all your responses. I guess I didn't describe the road to you guys. This particular road goes into my buddies cottage, is not plowed, is very narrow and has many trees on either side (read fender damage). It has 45 degree inclines and 90 degree bends. In other words very tricky to navigate when there is 3 feet of snow with ice inderneath. I too realize that the Wrangler HP's suck in the snow, but snow tires or not, I would still lack traction. I drove in last weekend with the Autosocks on the front and the emergrncy strap on chains on the rear with no problem at all. When we went to leave I slid off the packed section of the trail and got stuck in the soft stuff (just missed a tree). After some shoveling I was on my way again and made it out. Deep snow is a totally different animal to drive in. It's like the front wheels have a mind of their own and drift off to the sides, then you need to let off the gas to regain control, but you start to lose momentum and you feel like you're going to get stuck so it's back on the gas and then the front drifts off again. Tricky to get it right. Regardless, I would recommend the Autosocks for snow and ice and the emergency chains worked very well. Sorry for the long post. Thanks, again.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.