A/c problems 06 XK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > A/c problems 06 XK

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 04-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
99FormulaM6
2007 WK 

A/c problems 06 XK

Last Sept, my a/c stopped working in our 06 XK and we took it in and had it fixed (replaced evap, drier, expansion valve and fixed a blend door). Everything was fine after we got it back.

In Oct, my wife drove from FL to VA and about 2.5 hrs in to the drive, the air coming out of the vents slowed down and warmed up. You could feel a little bit of air coming out, but nothing like it should. If you stopped, for gas or to get food, when you get back in the Jeep, it would work again for a little while and then stop working again.

I took it back to be looked at, and they 'couldn't replicate the problem' and gave the Jeep back. Over the next few months, it was never driven long enough to put it in a situation to stop working, so I couldn't bring it back to be looked at.

I recently drove to the mountains (4hrs each way) and about 2-3 hours in, the heat was barely able to be felt blowing out of the vents.

A few notes:
-Turning the recirc on/off has no effect. You can hear the recirc blower turn on, but it doesn't change the force of the air coming out of the vent.

-Switching from feet/head/defrost doesn't change anything either.

-The controls are on manual and not auto, and it does it on both passenger and driver sides.

-Changing temps doesn't change anything

-Switching the speed of the blower doesn't do anything, on low you can barely feel anything and on high it feels like it should on low.

I think there is some thermal cutoff that is being reached in the blower, but I am no a/c man, so I don't know if there is one. It isn't 'freezing' up, because it does it on heat or a/c once you have been in the Jeep for the right amount of time.

I have it back at the shop now, and they can't get it to replicate the problem. They replaced the blower motor resistor, but they never got it to act up in the first place. I don't really think it was the resistor since most of what I have read had different problems if it was the resistor.

There obviously is a problem and I need it fixed before I drive to Daytona for vacation in June in the blistering heat.

How To: Differential pinion mount/bushing replacement for WK/XK
99FormulaM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
tom19511
2006 WK 

sounds like the freon was not filled up enough..
2007 Liberty Sport 3.7
tom19511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 11:29 PM   #3
trax95008
Web Wheeler
2006 XK Commander 

Low or high freon would only have an effect on temperature. Not air volume. Either the motor is slowing down for some reason, or there is an obstruction. Drop the motor housing down and make sure there isn't any debris in there like leaves and junk.
trax95008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 07:27 AM   #4
99FormulaM6
2007 WK 

Definitely not freon because it does it with a/c or heat, and is just air volume coming out of the vents, not temperature. I dont think its leaves because 95% of the time it works fine, it only stops working after driving on the highway for 2-3 hours. Sitting in the shops for 3 hours didnt do anything, driving stop and go around town for 3 hours doesnt do anything either, but driving on the highway for long distances is what does it.

How To: Differential pinion mount/bushing replacement for WK/XK
99FormulaM6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.