Buying a WK/XK?? (Read This) - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Buying a WK/XK?? (Read This)

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 08-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #61
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

When y'all shift from p to r to n to d how much jerking is normal? I've test driven like 5 different WKs recently for my fiancée and they all seem to jerk really badly when shifting the tranny. I'm concerned it is the "clunking" as noted earlier in this thread but I didn't know if it was just the nature of the vehicle. Please let me know asap. Thanks y'all.

EugeneTheTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #62
kdawgFL
2005 WK 

There shouldn't be a clunk. I used to have the clunk shifting but then I replaced my differential isolator bushings and it all went away. It's a very common problem the original bushings must have been defective from the factory
Unread 08-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #63
Goldenknob
2007 WK 

Well I'm going tomorrow to buy a 2007 Grand Laredo with 4.7 for $9000. Has 90k miles on it and a one owner carfax. Wish me luck. I'm torn on buying the warranty or not.

It's very clean looking https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e837bofudzgkry3/QDs96kszBt Everything work as far as i can tell from my last test drive a month ago. I will test it one more time just to make sure.

Anyone see something that I should look into?

Thanks
Goldenknob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #64
Eric1080
1978 J-Series Truck 

buy the warranty- i bought a 05 thinking newer would be more reliable. hahaha jokes on me. i wish i woulda bought warranty
Eric1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 10:38 PM   #65
Goldenknob
2007 WK 

So I've upgraded to the 2007!! I did manage to talk them down a few hundred more. And got a warranty. Its for one year only, but it covers anything wrong, minus timing chain and injectors. With only $100 deductible.
Goldenknob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 12:47 AM   #66
Palak
2008 WK 

Back to the first post in a sense..
I've noticed that there is ZERO responses from the CRD crowd...

Aside from the previously mentioned NOT relating to a specific engine.. something to check on the CRD's and then some more things for all buys...

Turbo inlet seal.. EASY to get to, 30 seconds.. check to see what color it is.. if it's orange, you'll want to replace that ASAP!!, they deteriorate over time (too soon) and pieces get sucked into your turbo.. oil then leaks down into your swirl motors causing failures.. CHEAP to fix.. you'll want the black seal. If you have a higher mileage (I'd say over ..75K miles) with this orange seal still, you'll want to have your turbo system checked for oil buildup, as well as the swirl motors.

I would also recommend that you get either a filter or an Elephant hose mod done to lessen the amount of oil returning to your engine and turbo. I did the EHM for about $15 and in about 15 min..

To touch up on some other issues mentioned.. there IS a fix for the center column light issue.. the video posted is a great solution.

the sunroof issue HAS been proven to be more of an issue related to your environment... the drain holes running through the roof can get clogged. If you live in an area, or park in an area (say under a tree) and stuff falls on your car often.. you CAN check your drains often to make sure they are NOT clogged.. you have to remove a few items from the sunroof, but it is MUCH easier to do the preventative care than to repair the damage. I personally have never done any care and have ZERO issues.

Something NOT mentioned that is applicable to ALL GC's 2002? and newer I think.. CABIN AIR FILTERS.. they do NOT come standard on ANY trims... but MANY people put them on.. check to see if you have one and if it is beyond clogged.

Check your air filter.. and if you can, check the OIL filter for signs of debris in your engine on diesels... It's on top for a no mess check.

The fuel filter is a little harder to get to, and the fuel/water separators on diesels as well.. check what has been caught!

If it comes with a tow and/or snow plow package.. see if you can find something to test the wires running to it. You can often check to see if you at least have power with a simple volt/multimeter. and check the condition of the pieces.. the rails used for the snow plow packages often rust pretty early.

Check your struts.. it's a SIMPLE check.. push down HARD on the four corners of the vehicle.. it shouldn't pop back up more than twice MAX... otherwise your struts are going out..

Check to see if the spare tire is THERE!.. make sure you have the key to lower it!

If you have locking lug nuts on the GC, make sure the key is there as well..
(I ran into this issue with a convertible I bought once.. XD)

Check the windshield washers.. the jets could be clogged. or disconnected in the case I had, lol.

If the vehicle sends a code while driving it, don't be afraid to go to an auto parts store ON the test drive and have them read the code(s) and explain possible issues.

For EVERY discrepancy you find, don't be afraid to negotiate the price down..

..the biggest thing I can say though (and you are off to a GREAT start if you are reading this thread).. do your research!.. don't ever buy same day.. look up repair costs and prices for EVERYTHING you find wrong and use it your advantage.

I bought a $30K 08 CRD Overland with 82K miles for $17K.. nit pick the CRAP out of the vehicle!! lol.. it cost me $55 to repair all the things I found wrong... use dealer prices when you negotiate though.. lol
Palak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 10:33 AM   #67
Keeslinger31
2005 WK 

Shocks usually only last 60k in most cars
Unread 08-30-2013, 07:55 PM   #68
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

My 2005 5.7L LTD with 70,000 KM on it, still like a brand new Jeep. Drives great, runs like a top, handles great (shocks are a little too spongy now, losing dampening ability) and still VERY pleased with it.

Nicest vehicle I have owned and hauls some arse too!

No complaints

No issues

No concerns

Done.

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 07:44 AM   #69
r_p
2005 WK 

Just bought a 2005 Limited (70K miles and fairly clean) for my wife as she needs to haul the kid to preschool. My plan was to buy a new (2014) Forester but I got an okay deal (11K) on the used Jeep. I am very aware of the bad reliability but am willing to give it a shot. My main concern is the power train and am specially interested in signs of a failing transmission. The vehicle came with a 3 month warranty so if I notice anything during the next 3 months then I can have it fixed by the dealer.

Any links or tips would be appreciated. This is our first Jeep (other car being a very reliable Honda).
r_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 08:22 AM   #70
Wilbready
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_p
Just bought a 2005 Limited (70K miles and fairly clean) for my wife as she needs to haul the kid to preschool. My plan was to buy a new (2014) Forester but I got an okay deal (11K) on the used Jeep. I am very aware of the bad reliability but am willing to give it a shot. My main concern is the power train and am specially interested in signs of a failing transmission. The vehicle came with a 3 month warranty so if I notice anything during the next 3 months then I can have it fixed by the dealer.

Any links or tips would be appreciated. This is our first Jeep (other car being a very reliable Honda).
Not sure where you heard that Jeeps are not reliable. All vehicles have mechanical issues and Jeeps are no different. The main focus ought to be on maintenance and making sure the Jeep has been checked and updated. Have all fluids changed and have a Jeep mechanic go over the entire vehicle.
Enjoy!
Unread 09-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #71
r_p
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbready View Post
Not sure where you heard that Jeeps are not reliable. All vehicles have mechanical issues and Jeeps are no different. The main focus ought to be on maintenance and making sure the Jeep has been checked and updated. Have all fluids changed and have a Jeep mechanic go over the entire vehicle.
Enjoy!
Sorry. Didnt mean to offend anyone. Like most people I've always liked the GC but money is slightly tight so expensive repairs might be difficult. I will have a Jeep mechanic take a look.

Hopefully it will last me a long time.
r_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 03:34 PM   #72
Wilbready
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_p
Sorry. Didnt mean to offend anyone. Like most people I've always liked the GC but money is slightly tight so expensive repairs might be difficult. I will have a Jeep mechanic take a look. Hopefully it will last me a long time.
Perhaps I took more offense than normal, but proper, scheduled maintenance will increase your WK's life tremendously!
Unread 10-14-2013, 09:04 AM   #73
schwartzki

Thanks for all the posts in this tread, I am most likely buying a 05 Limited K with the 4.7L. It has 135k miles. I was looking at 05 Liberty's but they have much more rust on them then the GC's have. Mechanical stuff is easier then rust usually.
- Not sure if it has QTrac II or QDrive II. Is there an easy way to check?
- The current owner has had it 2 years but done no driveline maintenance during that time. However the tranny fluid looked good. Plan on changing all the fluids as soon as I get it.
- Smooth shifts going into and out D and R, had a bad wheel bearing which they fixed.
- Sunroof does not shut all the way he said that is a new issue but I will be checking for water damage to the headliner. Will be trying the reset procedure.
- Has a check engine light for a EVAP problem, not positive on what that might be. Said it comes and goes.
- 4LO works and engages no problem. No binding on 4HI.
- Only fluids I found on the bottom was from messy oil/filter changes.

Anything else I should be looking for??

Thanks.
schwartzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 04:36 PM   #74
Unsp0kn
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwartzki View Post
Thanks for all the posts in this tread, I am most likely buying a 05 Limited K with the 4.7L. It has 135k miles. I was looking at 05 Liberty's but they have much more rust on them then the GC's have. Mechanical stuff is easier then rust usually.
- Not sure if it has QTrac II or QDrive II. Is there an easy way to check?
- The current owner has had it 2 years but done no driveline maintenance during that time. However the tranny fluid looked good. Plan on changing all the fluids as soon as I get it.
- Smooth shifts going into and out D and R, had a bad wheel bearing which they fixed.
- Sunroof does not shut all the way he said that is a new issue but I will be checking for water damage to the headliner. Will be trying the reset procedure.
- Has a check engine light for a EVAP problem, not positive on what that might be. Said it comes and goes.
- 4LO works and engages no problem. No binding on 4HI.
- Only fluids I found on the bottom was from messy oil/filter changes.

Anything else I should be looking for??

Thanks.
Get a build sheet on your rig and then you'll know all the options it has. Should be able to use the VIN and get one from a dealer or directly from Jeep.
Unread 12-04-2013, 01:35 PM   #75
Tsalagi
2005 WK 

Purchased a cherry 2005 GC Limited 5.7 Hemi with 62K miles on the odometer last week before Thanksgiving. Two owners on carfax with no issues listed. Obviously garage kept and even smells new on the inside. Everything worked and I was extremely pleased initially. Drove it about 500 miles over the holiday and noticed the tire pressure indicator went off periodically even after I checked the tire pressure and found no problems. Then the check engine light comes on over the weekend but then goes off after I filled up with gas. Yesterday the check engine light comes on again and now it stays on. Today the low oil light comes on when push the brake pedal to slow down and the oil level is fine.
Does anyone have something that I can check quickly or at least first so that I can start the diagnosis process?
Tsalagi is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.