Buying a WK/XK?? (Read This) - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Buying a WK/XK?? (Read This)

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-13-2013, 11:00 AM   #46
Cgonzalez
2005 WK 

Its the 5.7 Hemi.

Cgonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #47
michiganmike
2008 WK 

I want to thank everyone for all of their advice.....I copied and pasted everything that was said, so I'll have a checklist when I go shopping.
michiganmike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #48
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Thanks for all the info and this is the exact type of advice I was looking for! I've been looking online at 2006-2008 WK's as a dd for my wife who drives 50 miles round-trip to/from work. Unfortunately we're in the rust/salt belt and just took a huge loss in selling her 2000 TJ 4.0 which ran great but had a rotted/rusted frame.

The 4.0 I6 engine is the only engine I'm familiar with since it is/was in our 4 Jeeps and wonder if the 3.7 V6 has more power? Maybe it' a mistake in looking at Consumer Reports, I take them w/a grain of salt, but it looks like the V8's have less problems w/the drivetrain along with minor trans repairs?

I'm seeing some really nice looking hemi V8's online but believe this may be overkill for my wife as an on-road going to work WK? We live in rural central Ohio and have to have working 4WD to get up my steep/curvy 800' gravel drive in the winter. In test driving a WK in 4WD if you do feel a binding while weaving/turning corners what problem is this an indicator of? Internal transfer case problems?

Thanks for any input!

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 10:39 PM   #49
madcommander

I wish I would have read up on the 06 commander I purchased back in July of 2012 I wouldn't have purchased it. I have had it back and forth to the dealership 5 times now for the transmission. I just dropped it off today 5/20/13 and this will be the last time I will put a full clip of 50 cal rounds into it if it does it again. Everytime I take it to the dealer they fix something and give it back with in a week it is doing it again. It seems to do it when it is really cold out, but it has done it a few times in the past couple of weeks. Problem is when I put it into drive in the morning it takes about 20 seconds to engage into drive. If you forget to wait and give it gas it doesn't go anywhere and by the time you are trying to figure out what is going on it slams into gear and just about nocks my teeth out. I have tried to get chrystler to recall the trans or claim it as a lemon but they say I purchased a used jeep with 50,000 on it and it is what it is a POS. Acutally if I was not having this trani problem I would really like the commander. Plenty of power handles great even with a 3" lift and larger tires, comfortable.
I hope they can fix it, but I am really leaning toward dumping it as soon as I get it back.
madcommander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #50
resoof
2005 WK 

Buying an 05 GC

Been on this site a couple of times over the years and have found some great information, thank you to everyone.

I am currently looking at purchasing what would be my fourth GC I have owned over the years. I have been test driving this very clean Black 2005 stock GC Limited, with the 5.7 and only 82000 miles.

I have read through this forum and I am following through on the recommendations on it. The dealer has serviced it and I had them run the VIN through the local Chrysler dealer and they have told me the last owner had all the software updates completed on it.

So here is my concern. I know the shocks need to be replaced. Also as we have been driving it we have noticed a very light chatter or bump as you feather the gas at various speeds. It’s almost like something is loose. The dealer has gone over it and tells me this is a normal feeling in the AWD Jeeps. Is this true or is this something I should be concerned about? None of my other Jeeps ever did that.
resoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2013, 11:07 PM   #51
Wilbready
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by resoof
Been on this site a couple of times over the years and have found some great information, thank you to everyone.

I am currently looking at purchasing what would be my fourth GC I have owned over the years. I have been test driving this very clean Black 2005 stock GC Limited, with the 5.7 and only 82000 miles.

I have read through this forum and I am following through on the recommendations on it. The dealer has serviced it and I had them run the VIN through the local Chrysler dealer and they have told me the last owner had all the software updates completed on it.

So here is my concern. I know the shocks need to be replaced. Also as we have been driving it we have noticed a very light chatter or bump as you feather the gas at various speeds. It’s almost like something is loose. The dealer has gone over it and tells me this is a normal feeling in the AWD Jeeps. Is this true or is this something I should be concerned about? None of my other Jeeps ever did that.
My '05 GC Limited, with the Hemi, does not make that sound. I bought mine back in February and have replaced all shocks, tires and had the fluids serviced. I still need the U-connect fixed as it does not recognize any phones no matter the age or style. I also need an updated disc for the GPS, but since I have an Iphone, I am waiting a bit to do that. Hope this helps.
Unread 05-29-2013, 02:55 PM   #52
Bkerns

I'm looking at a 2007 Grand Cherokee Larado 3.7L V6 it has 95,000 miles on it. I know the jeep has been well taken care of and is in show room condition. Any reason I should be concerned about the high mileage?
Bkerns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #53
Theogriff15
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkerns View Post
I'm looking at a 2007 Grand Cherokee Larado 3.7L V6 it has 95,000 miles on it. I know the jeep has been well taken care of and is in show room condition. Any reason I should be concerned about the high mileage?
Make sure that the starter and flex plate are in good shape. Bought mine at 107k and they were basically both gone. Also check door handles inside and out, and make sure there are no water marks on the inside of the roof, a ton of guys have a leak in the sunroof drain (myself included,) and its a huge PITA.
Unread 06-19-2013, 12:00 AM   #54
HEMI35
2007 WK 

when I bought my 07 GC hemi, I didnīt read ANYTHING I didnīt even know it had a 5.7, the dealer told me when he was driving it and explained me the engines, I said whatīs a 5.7 good for?? and he pushed the pedal to the metal, and it was instant love (I even had to tell him to stop!! haha); I didnīt even care that it had a non starting issue.

Anyway I may add somethings to check before buying a GC HEMI,
First: I can only speak about the 5.7: check that the jeep you are buying starts right up with a beasty engine sound (no delays, or lazy start, or too much clanging). Mine didnīt!!! even some times, it didnīt want to start at all, completely dead for 10 minutes, so I took it to the jeep doctor and they said it didnīt have the right battery, and also the starter was wearing out its bushes so they replaced them, and problem solved.
Second: itīs a permanent all wheel drive, with a 5.7 engine... that is no cheap on gas on any scenario!! on city, starting and stopping that 2 ton beast every 3 to 5 minutes means a lot of gas. Yes, on highway (actually at CONSTANT speed or cruise speed) it stops 4 valves, and works on 4 valves, but that does not mean it will drink half of your gas!. If you are on a tight budget for gas, look somewhere else, because this is not a gas economic 2WD car. Still, my 2007 drinks and spends almost exactly the same amount of gas than my fathers 2011 Cherokee (ex liberty) with a 3.7 engine, in the year 2012 when we compared them.
Third: check the 4-lo speed (put your foot on the brake, get it on neutral, and lift that little chrome piece of plastic on the extreme right of the D (direct). It has to make some electric noise like a small electric engine moving some clogs, and thatīs it! move the jeep a little to check if it works, and you will have the 4LO light on the cluster. Beware that this is only for non hard terrains, using it on hard pavement can make you have an accident because the wheels turn at the same speed (itīs the axle blocker).
Fourth: it has a MANUMATIC shifter that can help you (check if it works properly): it has a "-" and a "+" sign, to control the MAXIMUM gear the jeep can engage. For example, you need more power for a short period and donīt want the jeep to loose it going to a high gear like 4th or 5th, like when you are passing another car or truck. You move the gear to the "-" and on the cluster, next to the speedometer it will show instead of D a 4. Move it again and it will show a 3, and so. After you do your business, you can release it going to the + and you will see the numbers increasing everytime you move it or just stay it on that position for 2 seconds. You will find that this is extremely helpful not only at high speeds, but going offroad at low speeds also.

2005 have poor plastic door handles (inside), but it can be fixed with a door handle solution from ebay.
Note that the 2008 model has a cosmetic upgrade (bumper, lights and grill are "different", with the fog lights in lower position, making it look a little bit more asian style for my taste), the 2009 has an engine upgrade (VVT or variable valve timing giving it a whooping 27 hp increase, YAY!!), and 2010 was the last version of the WK GC. Also note that the SRT-8 version is just for street, not for offroad purposes at all; the suspension is a couple of inches lower and it does not have locking differential (4LO), also the transmission is made for high speed, and the exhaust gives its full hp at higher RPMs, while the normal version makes the opposite (it has short exhaust manifold that gives high power at low RPMs). Overland version has 18" and 7.5" wide rims, all rest have the same but 17". Also the overland version is the one with REAL leather instead of vinyl leather. For the 2009 and 2010 models, you can find overland seats in different color than brown. The export edition is WH (europe and australia, donīt know if canada). Many parts are shared with the Jeep commander.
You can lift a GC 2 to 3 inches without compromising anything, with budget hard metal separators or with suspension exchange (higher coils and struts from the OME lift kit). More than that is not recommendable because you alter the geometry of the car, and you will need a part to tell the computer that.
Other than that, I will not change my car for anything other than a better GC.
Unread 06-21-2013, 04:31 PM   #55
kdawgFL
2005 WK 

also inspect the battery cables. If there is any corrosion ask to have them replaced
Unread 07-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #56
jeffpage
2001 WJ 

How to test 4x4 ?

I am looking at a used 2005 Laredo, which has a 4.7L and Quadra-Trac II.

I will have an opportunity for a short test drive at the dealership. I can test that LO works if I can find some gravel.

How can I test that the transfer case is working correctly when not in LO ?

What sounds or sensations should be experienced turning tight in a paved parking lot ?

If I can convince the dealer to put in on a rack, how fast must the rear wheels turn before the fronts engage ?

Thanks !
jeffpage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #57
gotboostedvr6

Sorry f. or the repost but this is rather time sensitive.I just want to make sure that I'm not picking up a vehicle is missing critical Options.

Im heading over to the dealer this afternoon to pickup a 2010 WK limited with 5.7 50k miles for a tad over 20k.

The dealer left me with the build sheet.

optional equipment that caught my eye:

(DMEP)rear 3.73 axle ratio
(DSFP) ELE LTD slip diff rear, (DSGP) ele front LTD slip diff
(EZH) 5.7 hemi
(DHXP) Quadra trac II
(GW8) Delete sunroof
(ADLP) Skid plate group
(RD7P) 276 watt amp
(XBNP) tip start
(YG1A) 7.5 additional gallons gas
(NMHP) HYdro engine cooling

Let me know what you guys think!
gotboostedvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #58
Wilbready
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotboostedvr6
Sorry f. or the repost but this is rather time sensitive.I just want to make sure that I'm not picking up a vehicle is missing critical Options.

Im heading over to the dealer this afternoon to pickup a 2010 WK limited with 5.7 50k miles for a tad over 20k.

The dealer left me with the build sheet.

optional equipment that caught my eye:

(DMEP)rear 3.73 axle ratio
(DSFP) ELE LTD slip diff rear, (DSGP) ele front LTD slip diff
(EZH) 5.7 hemi
(DHXP) Quadra trac II
(GW8) Delete sunroof
(ADLP) Skid plate group
(RD7P) 276 watt amp
(XBNP) tip start
(YG1A) 7.5 additional gallons gas
(NMHP) HYdro engine cooling

Let me know what you guys think!
In my opinion, The mileage seems excessive for the age. Better to have a mechanic you trust check the Jeep out completely before the final signature.
Unread 07-31-2013, 02:02 PM   #59
Goldenknob
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbready View Post
In my opinion, The mileage seems excessive for the age. Better to have a mechanic you trust check the Jeep out completely before the final signature.
excessive? the statistical average is 15k a year. That jeep only has gotten 14k or less since it's build date, assuming it was in 2009-10.

I think that mileage is good, it's probably mostly road miles, with less stop and go..
Goldenknob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 04:02 PM   #60
Wilbready
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenknob

excessive? the statistical average is 15k a year. That jeep only has gotten 14k or less since it's build date, assuming it was in 2009-10.

I think that mileage is good, it's probably mostly road miles, with less stop and go..
16,333 to be more exact. And I still believe that to be excessive for 20k. it used to be that 12k was the average mileage per year. what's next? 20K?!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.