Buying a WK/XK?? (Read This) - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Buying a WK/XK?? (Read This)

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #31
longboy
2006 WK 

^ correct. It's called MDS (multi-displacement system).

Unread 02-20-2013, 06:49 PM   #32
dslater

Quote:
Originally Posted by longboy View Post
^ correct. It's called MDS (multi-displacement system).
Well, seeing as you have the exact same jeep I'm looking at.. You'll be the best person to ask the next question too.

I'm coming from a high mileage 05 trailblazer that needs a lot of work (gas mileage is terrible.)

BUT, it's a 4.2L I6, am I in for a shocker with the gas mileage of a 5.7?
dslater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 10:25 PM   #33
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslater View Post
Well, seeing as you have the exact same jeep I'm looking at.. You'll be the best person to ask the next question too.

I'm coming from a high mileage 05 trailblazer that needs a lot of work (gas mileage is terrible.)

BUT, it's a 4.2L I6, am I in for a shocker with the gas mileage of a 5.7?
My WK with the 5.7L Multi Dis Hemi gets better mileage than my 4.0L IL6 in my 2000 XJ. About 25% better...

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2013, 08:32 AM   #34
longboy
2006 WK 

These are my real-world numbers using a calculator, not the EVIC, from my current and last Jeep:

1999 WJ, 4.0 I6 engine: 17.54mpg over 12,963 miles
2006 WK, 5.7 HEMI: 16.33mpg over 27,661 miles

Both Jeeps are driven the same daily commute and the occasional camping trip. Probably a mix of 80% highway, 20% in-town.

Would I buy the HEMI again? HELL YES, it's well worth having the power when I'm driving with 4 people, the dog, and camping gear over Colorado's 10,000 foot passes and having the power to do it easily.
Unread 02-21-2013, 09:34 AM   #35
dslater

Which is awesome to hear because within the next 2 years we'll be moving to just north of Denver, from Wisconsin.

Alright. You've convinced me lol. Gonna go to the dealer ill keep you posted!
dslater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2013, 07:57 PM   #36
t3kmitch
2005 WK 

My experience what to look out for:

When shopping:
-Climate control/evic lights being out. My radio also had a couple lights out.
-Power window operation (my switches are wearing out/dirty and have to play with them to get the window back up)
-My rear glass had a strut locked up so it was frozen shut. Cheap fix but something to try.
-Shocks & struts. If they're stock they're worn out.
-128k I just had all 4 ball joints done.
-A lot of us seem to be having front driveshaft joint issues lately.
-My back seat creaked when I got it (don't know how someone drove it for 116k with the noise). A little tape on the latch fixed it.
-Lately my rear glass has been hitting the hatch and rattling. Actually has worn down paint. Haven't had time to figure out the fix yet.
-Overall my paint is weak. Hood & front bumper look like the previous owner worked at a quarry. There are a few blemishes other places as well.
-My spare was cracked. It held air until we mounted a different tire on it. Couldn't see it without lowering the tire.

If you do purchase:
-If one day it just doesn't start try wiggling the starter wires. If that starts it up most people replace the connection, I cleaned it and put dielectric grease on and it's worked since (probably over a year ago).
-If it's cloth, the seats stain if you look at them.

And what to expect for mpg with the 3.7 - I fairly consistently get 17 mpg with my 2" lift and bigger tires. Much of that is steady 60 mph 2 lane highway. Pre-lift I think I got about 18 (didn't have it for long before lifting). I was as high as 21 on one road trip. Just because it says V6 doesn't mean it's better for fuel economy. If you live in a hilly area or do a lot of freeway driving I'd recommend one of the V8 options.
Blue WK Club Member #32
t3kmitch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2013, 08:03 PM   #37
Jaashua
2005 WK 

I actually see no reason to get the v6 since the mpg isn't a significant difference anyhow.
Jaashua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #38
Wilbready
2005 WK 

Well, guys, I bought my 2005 WK last Wednesday, before I read this thread. My only issues (which I knew about at the time of purchase) where the tires had little life left and that the lifters (all 5 of them) were shot. Overall, I have spent roughly $1K correcting these "ills" and could not be happier. The Uconnect, according to Chrysler over the phone, has some software issue that the dealer will have to correct and I believe that the front struts are just about gone. Not a big deal, especially considering the 92k miles. I know it lived in an upscale part of town (Scottsdale) and that it was garage kept. All things point to a great WK that nobody seems to believe has that many miles nor is that old.
Thanks for the helpful tips, though!
Wil
Unread 02-24-2013, 04:02 PM   #39
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaashua View Post
I actually see no reason to get the v6 since the mpg isn't a significant difference anyhow.
Maybe... Not to digress from the purpose of this topic, but i can answer that. v6 are cheaper, lol. Which is pretty important. i used to say that 2mpg's was negligible, but 2mpg's better still get you 40 more miles a tank. In all honesty, If I were to pick up a WK today for my GF it would be a limited V6. She doesn't need, or want the power. V6 WK's, at least on JF represent half the group. Our engine is simpler, involving a little less technology, and thus cheaper and easier to service. it's still a safe vehicle that provides enough room for little ones, cheaper to insure, and these WK's regardless of engine size, still ride like a wet dream.
Unread 02-24-2013, 11:40 PM   #40
Jaashua
2005 WK 

Didn't think about the maintenance costs.
Unread 03-01-2013, 06:18 AM   #41
ChrisP75
2007 WK 

Lots of good info here! I just bought a 07 GC w/65K miles and everythings works on it, maybe I got lucky?
ChrisP75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2013, 06:21 AM   #42
Jaashua
2005 WK 

You're very lucky. For now... Welcome to the heaven and hell of owning a jeep.

Sent from my Samsung S2 using JeepForum
Unread 03-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #43
Cgonzalez
2005 WK 

New owner

Just bought a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited with 110 miles. It needs some work but i think i got if for 7000 wondering if that is a good price or too high? Any comments are great
Cgonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2013, 01:49 PM   #44
Wilbready
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgonzalez
Just bought a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited with 110 miles. It needs some work but i think i got if for 7000 wondering if that is a good price or too high? Any comments are great
Cheaper but more miles than mine. Good luck with yours.
Unread 03-06-2013, 05:09 PM   #45
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgonzalez View Post
I paid 15K (Canadian) for a 2005 Ltd Hemi one owner in showroom condition. Garage kept, and no declarations. From my research here locally it was the best deal around by about 2K and it has 1/2 the miles. Mine is at 65,000 km, which is only about 40K in miles...barely broken in.

All I could find were Laredo 4.7L with around 100-120,000 KM on them for about the same price. That and some sweet CRD's but they were $23k minimum.

Sounds like you did ok, depending on the work it needs. These seem pretty reliable from my research so far. 5.7 or 4.7?

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.