Buying a WK/XK?? (Read This) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Buying a WK/XK?? (Read This)

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #16
TheDemon
2006 WK 

Quote:
I'm considering a Hemi model myself, but I want a dependable vehicle that I don't have to throw money at when it gets a little age on it.
There's a reason the 5.7 HEMI is still in production after all these years (with slight modifications): it's powerful, reliable, and it can be fuel efficient on the highway if driven carefully, especially considering the massive weight. It's a work engine plain and simple, it can take a beating and heavy use including towing and still run well over 200,000 miles without burning any oil. Same goes for the transmission, they are both meant for serious use and most Jeep owners simply don't do that. All the little sensors and electronics are Chrysler products and can go out randomly, but they're some of the cheapest parts to buy compared to any other vehicle I've owned. Make sure the previous owner has kept records of all the services done, and definitely test drive a few, you probably will notice differences between the way they run. FYI: service C at 90,000 miles costs a little over a grand if you have it done at the dealership.

Unread 01-24-2013, 08:18 AM   #17
DukeMinski

Help! Please see my other thread!

Related to buying used Grand Cherokee's...
...could you please jump over to the "Engines & Drivetrain" forum and read my thread "Non-JEEP owner looking for answers" ? ? ?
It concerns a used 2006 Grand Cherokee that has major problems.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
DukeMinski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #18
trailriderGC06
2006 WK 

I have a problem:

When I shift from Reverse to Drive without coming to a complete stop and waiting a couple seconds I hear a noise and then my car will die...
Help?

2006 : Grand Cherokee : 5.7L Hemi : 4x4 : QDII
trailriderGC06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2013, 05:28 PM   #19
Eric1080
1978 J-Series Truck 

so you go form reverse to drive????? they dont like that unless its a th400
Eric1080 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 03:40 PM   #20
soulwarden31
2005 WK 

Hi, looking to buy a 2005 Grand Cherokee V6 3.7L used. The guy said he put in a brand new engine and a rebuilt transmission. How can I tell if the engine is new? Where can i find the engine serial number and decode to see when and where the engine was built?

Thanks in advance
soulwarden31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2013, 12:25 AM   #21
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulwarden31 View Post
Hi, looking to buy a 2005 Grand Cherokee V6 3.7L used. The guy said he put in a brand new engine and a rebuilt transmission. How can I tell if the engine is new? Where can i find the engine serial number and decode to see when and where the engine was built?

Thanks in advance
Copy down your VIN and contact Chrysler/Jeep. They should be able to tell you all you need to know. I think they might do it for free too?

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 03:29 AM   #22
dslater

New to Jeeps, but looking for dependable off-road capability. (Not necessarily going off-road right away)

Looking at this 06 WK with the 5.7 90k miles. http://www.kayserchryslercenter.com/...0c2cfb188d.htm

Anything specific to look for? Should I be concerned with that mileage?
dslater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 04:28 AM   #23
Jaashua
2005 WK 

I would stay away from any jeeps with a sunroof. What a nightmare they are.
Jaashua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 04:47 AM   #24
dslater

Reasoning? They go bad or? I rarely use a sunroof anyways, as i normally prefer not having one, but this is the only quadra drive II in my area for a good deal (it seems)
Unread 02-20-2013, 06:41 AM   #25
Jaashua
2005 WK 

They are a flawed design. I never wanted one but wound up with it with thinking like you. It was a good deal. Now my liner is destroyed and water has gotten in everything. Finally hopefully getting it fixed on Friday. From what I've heard it has a slim chance of being fixed properly.
Unread 02-20-2013, 07:45 AM   #26
jjt250
2007 WK 

Some people have problems, others don't. I don't personally. It has largely to do with where you park because the drain ports get clogged or something. I don't think you can find a higher end GC without a sunroof though.
Unread 02-20-2013, 08:48 AM   #27
dslater

Well we'll leave that part out when convincing the wife haha. Still working on telling her that the 5.7 hemi is a definite necessity! Other than the possible sunroof info, do you guys see a problem with the price or miles? Like I said I'm new with jeeps so I don't want to end up upside down after buying it immediately, or have tons of problems because of 90k miles
Unread 02-20-2013, 11:53 AM   #28
Jaashua
2005 WK 

Looks like a beauty to me. Id get it just make sure you take it through the car wash so if there is something wrong with it the dealer has to take care of it. Are you getting any kind of warranty with it?
Unread 02-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #29
dslater

Here's what they say:
"Also included on this vehicle is 2 YEARS or 100,000 MILES of powertrain warranty. This covers your engine, Transmission and drive axles for 2 years from the date of purchase or until 100,000 miles appears on the odometer"

Funny how they word it though, cause 100,000 miles on the odometer is a mere 10k miles away.
Unread 02-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #30
dslater

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but the 5.7 hemi has the highway feature where it uses 4 cylinders instead of 8 at highway speeds right?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.