Buying a WK/XK?? (Read This) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Buying a WK/XK?? (Read This)

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 01-03-2013, 06:30 PM   #1
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Buying a WK/XK?? (Read This)

So you're looking to purchase a Jeep WK (2005-2010), here are a few things that you may want to look at during your walk around and/or test drive. Keep in mind that you should always consider having the vehicle you are interested in buying inspected by a certified mechanic, so this post is in no way a substitution of that service.

Always ask about the last time the 4x4 was serviced, ESPECIALLY when it is around and/or approaching the service interval for the 4x4.

Always test every single electronic feature that is available on the WK. I will not list them all, because not all are available on every WK. But test everything from the power mirror windows and heated seats to the Navigation and A/C

Engage the 4x4 on an appropriate trail or gravel road, and ensure that it works properly. This means that is does not bind and buckle, especially during turns.

As you look underneath the vehicle. Inspect the seal on the transfercase, and differentials, and also inspect the area just below the engine to ensure that there is no oil leaking from them.

Many southern dealers will buy Jeeps from the North and sell them down south. Make sure the doggone Jeep doesn't have extensive rust damage.

Other common sense stuff includes checking fluids, brakes, lights, and tires (though every state I've been to requires a certain amount of tread before it can be sold).

Bones_WK: Suggests shifting the transmission between P,R,N,D - And listening/feeling for any delay as this could be indicative of a failing transmission.

Bones_WK also suggests listening/feeling for any clunking while driving, especially over pot-holes or speed bumps as this could be a sign of worn bearings or bushings/Upper or lower Control Arms/Ball joints - etc.

I'm sure I'll miss stuff - so for those who have purchased and own a WK, feel free to contribute on items to look/listen for when purchasing a WK.

Unread 01-04-2013, 04:58 AM   #2
ssobel
2007 WK 

Awesome thread. I'm going to look at an 07 Limited, Hemi tomorrow. I'll make sure to turn everything on! Thanks for the advice!
ssobel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #3
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Check to see that the auto stick on the shifter is functioning properly.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #4
BonesWK
Web Wheeler

2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
So you're looking to purchase a Jeep WK (2005-2010), here are a few things that you may want to look at during your walk around and/or test drive. Keep in mind that you should always consider having the vehicle you are interested in buying inspected by a certified mechanic, so this post is in no way a substitution of that service.

Always ask about the last time the 4x4 was serviced, ESPECIALLY when it is around and/or approaching the service interval for the 4x4.

Always test every single electronic feature that is available on the WK. I will not list them all, because not all are available on every WK. But test everything from the power mirror windows and heated seats to the Navigation and A/C

Engage the 4x4 on an appropriate trail or gravel road, and ensure that it works properly. This means that is does not bind and buckle, especially during turns.

As you look underneath the vehicle. Inspect the seal on the transfercase, and differentials, and also inspect the area just below the engine to ensure that there is no oil leaking from them.

Many southern dealers will buy Jeeps from the North and sell them down south. Make sure the doggone Jeep doesn't have extensive rust damage.

Other common sense stuff includes checking fluids, brakes, lights, and tires (though every state I've been to requires a certain amount of tread before it can be sold).

Bones_WK: Suggests shifting the transmission between P,R,N,D - And listening/feeling for any delay as this could be indicative of a failing transmission Loud clunk from shifting from PRND or P-D, P-R. R-D etc. are front differential bushings going bad.

Bones_WK also suggests listening/feeling for any clunking while driving, especially over pot-holes or speed bumps as this could be a sign of worn bearings or bushings/Upper or lower Control Arms/Ball joints - etc.

I'm sure I'll miss stuff - so for those who have purchased and own a WK, feel free to contribute on items to look/listen for when purchasing a WK.
Awesome stuff AJ - fixed a few for you.

Also note the 2005-2006 4.7 and Hemi issues about exhaust manifolds going bad. Turn the jeep on, and listen for exhaust leaks in the engine bay, open the hood and smell for exhaust fumes (both sides). Probably applies to anything over 70k to at least check

Turn the wheel while sitting still from lock to lock. Coast down the road truing the wheel some back and forth (safely) - pops or knocks could be the steering rack

Check door handles, these seem to crack and break easily!

Check hood and liftgate supports - easy fix but just be aware
2006 Black WK Limited 4.7 4x4 QD II -- RR 2.25" Lift - JK Moabs - 32" Wildpeaks - Rear OME Shocks - AFE Stage 2 Intake - Saguaro 4x Front Shackles - 1-1/2" Wheel Spacers - Tail Light Guards - CB - 4' Firestik - Rola Roof Rack - Exhaust
If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
Chive On
BonesWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #5
ATown17
2010 TJ Wrangler 

The WK I'm looking at has this problem. What's involved to fix it?

Bones_WK: Suggests shifting the transmission between P,R,N,D - And listening/feeling for any delay as this could be indicative of a failing transmission Loud clunk from shifting from PRND or P-D, P-R. R-D etc. are front differential bushings going bad.
ATown17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #6
ATown17
2010 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATown17 View Post
The WK I'm looking at has this problem. What's involved to fix it?

Just got off the phone with the dealer. Part's cheap... $35 but labor is 3-4 hours. Has anyone changed this themself that can give me an idea of what's involved? Also, if I find that I can't do it and it'll cost me $500 at a dealer, do I hurt anything by not fixing it? Or is it just that I have to hear the loud clunk when shifting into gear? Thanks in advance
Unread 01-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #7
06JeepXKHEMI
1999 XJ Cherokee 

You definitely want to fix it, mine was so bad it was smacking the oil pan. I had my buddy fix it for me so cant give insight on the job but many people on here have done themselves
Unread 01-09-2013, 08:33 AM   #8
Eric1080
1978 J-Series Truck 

is the constant ticking noise a problem on all of them? wife 05 with 120k ticks when cold and gets quieter when warm although still making noise
Eric1080 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #9
ATown17
2010 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06JeepXKHEMI View Post
You definitely want to fix it, mine was so bad it was smacking the oil pan. I had my buddy fix it for me so cant give insight on the job but many people on here have done themselves
Thanks for your help. We wound up not purchasing the jeep.
Unread 01-15-2013, 07:21 PM   #10
TheDemon
2006 WK 

A night time test drive if possible would be wise, some of the lights were out on the buttons for the climate and information center, and ended up costing me about $500 to fix by replacing all the controls, apparently you can't just replace the bulbs and have to replace the entire unit. There was no way to see that the controls were out since I test drove my Jeep during the day.
Unread 01-16-2013, 09:37 PM   #11
Theogriff15
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDemon View Post
A night time test drive if possible would be wise, some of the lights were out on the buttons for the climate and information center, and ended up costing me about $500 to fix by replacing all the controls, apparently you can't just replace the bulbs and have to replace the entire unit. There was no way to see that the controls were out since I test drove my Jeep during the day.
My whole climate control unit is dark. Have been waiting to get to the dealer to get an estimate, but I guess now that it costs 500 I'll be turning on my interior lights for now.
Unread 01-16-2013, 10:25 PM   #12
jjt250
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDemon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theogriff15 View Post
My whole climate control unit is dark. Have been waiting to get to the dealer to get an estimate, but I guess now that it costs 500 I'll be turning on my interior lights for now.
Hey guys I found this on another forum. Haven't watched it yet but it helped out a lot of people so far.

Unread 01-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #13
TheDemon
2006 WK 

Nice video! Too bad I didn't see that before the stealership jacked me
Unread 01-22-2013, 08:04 AM   #14
WXman
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

So the steering racks, exhaust manifolds on V8s, and electrical gremlins are basically the only common problems with WKs? I'm considering a Hemi model myself, but I want a dependable vehicle that I don't have to throw money at when it gets a little age on it.
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 09:37 AM   #15
Eric1080
1978 J-Series Truck 

you will also most likely have to replace the suspension (shocks/ struts/ ball joints) when it gets some miles on it. my 05 has 120k and rear shocks did nothing and front struts barely do anything anymore. not a ton of money but still only has 120k....
Eric1080 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.