Buying a WK help - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Buying a WK help

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-17-2013, 05:45 AM   #16
rsurran

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I agree about the XJ 4.0, mine was the same way. I think the amount of monitoring going in the engine bay would cause you to start throwing codes if you lost oil or coolant to the point of harm. Might be wrong, I'm a gauge fan too but that's how I compensate it. 98jgc the pistons that are not firing are hitting an air cushion that acts to launch them back down somewhat, I guess that is how they get away from too much drag. As far as the Hemi, I once got bogged down in snow in a remote area where the road was drifting over badly. No one around and before cell phones. I was looking at a really dangerous situation. My 86 Dodge pickup had a 318 in it and I credit that for saving me from a really bad experience. Since then I believe there really is no substitute for power when you need it.

Dick Surran

"When you stop contributing you are just taking up space."
rsurran is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #17
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Thanks for the input! Well I let that 2009 V6 Laredo slip away w/o even going to look at it. While I'm going to pay more I've narrowed my search to WK Limited's. I realize I'm going to have to go with older years/higher mileage in doing this. Since there's very few limited's for sale I'll just have to have some patience to get by with what I have for now until I find one.

Kind of a few years older than what I was hoping for but here's a 2005 Limited with 104K miles at $12K.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/3879592636.html

Below's a 2008 w/79K miles which is kind of getting out of my price range at $18,900 but looks pretty nice. Rocky Mountain Addition and wish many didn't come with the front/rear DVD system which I'll never use and just looks like something in the way on the interior ceiling. Do think the wheels look nice and don't know if chrome wheels get eaten up by the road salt around here like my aluminum alloy wheels which look real bad.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/3823123715.html

I'm also still considering a Laredo if it comes w/many of the same options as a Limited. It kind of drives me nuts that many of these owners don't list the engine size! Should I assume a limited comes standard with a 4.7 V8 and is that for just certain years? I noticed the above 2008 has a newer "Flex Fuel" 4.7 V8 and wondered how it runs in using E85 fuel? Kind of afraid this type engine may be out of my scope of working on and noticed it has 2 spark plugs per cylinder.

Thanks again for any input!

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 05:49 PM   #18
jjt250
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
Thanks for the input! Well I let that 2009 V6 Laredo slip away w/o even going to look at it. While I'm going to pay more I've narrowed my search to WK Limited's. I realize I'm going to have to go with older years/higher mileage in doing this. Since there's very few limited's for sale I'll just have to have some patience to get by with what I have for now until I find one.

Kind of a few years older than what I was hoping for but here's a 2005 Limited with 104K miles at $12K.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/3879592636.html

Below's a 2008 w/79K miles which is kind of getting out of my price range at $18,900 but looks pretty nice. Rocky Mountain Addition and wish many didn't come with the front/rear DVD system which I'll never use and just looks like something in the way on the interior ceiling. Do think the wheels look nice and don't know if chrome wheels get eaten up by the road salt around here like my aluminum alloy wheels which look real bad.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/3823123715.html

I'm also still considering a Laredo if it comes w/many of the same options as a Limited. It kind of drives me nuts that many of these owners don't list the engine size! Should I assume a limited comes standard with a 4.7 V8 and is that for just certain years? I noticed the above 2008 has a newer "Flex Fuel" 4.7 V8 and wondered how it runs in using E85 fuel? Kind of afraid this type engine may be out of my scope of working on and noticed it has 2 spark plugs per cylinder.

Thanks again for any input!
Pretty sure the 4.7's only had one spark plug per cylinder, but that might have changed in 2008? The Hemi's have 2 per, though. If you don't know already, the 4.7's got a nice power bump in 08. Limiteds came standard with the 4.7 with an optional upgrade to the Hemi (or CRD in 07-08). Also, I think those 18's on the second one are plastic on the outside like the 17" Moduflex rims on most Limiteds.
Unread 06-19-2013, 08:58 PM   #19
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjt250 View Post
Pretty sure the 4.7's only had one spark plug per cylinder, but that might have changed in 2008? The Hemi's have 2 per, though. If you don't know already, the 4.7's got a nice power bump in 08. Limiteds came standard with the 4.7 with an optional upgrade to the Hemi (or CRD in 07-08). Also, I think those 18's on the second one are plastic on the outside like the 17" Moduflex rims on most Limiteds.
Yeah, the 2 spark plugs per/cylinder was added to the 2008 4.7 as can be seen below. Heard it has more power and says 24% more in the article.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/04/01/n...okee-revealed/

"All-new for 2008 is the 4.7-liter V-8 engine that offers better fuel economy, power and torque than the previous 4.7-liter engine, while at the same time delivering improvements in refinement.

The new 4.7-liter V-8 incorporates two spark plugs per cylinder (the only Chrysler Group engine to do so, other than the 5.7-liter HEMI), increased compression ratio, improved cylinder-head port flow and a new combustion system. The result is 291 horsepower (217kW), a 24 percent increase, and 322 lb.-ft. of torque (437 N•m), a 6 percent increase over the previous 4.7-liter V-8 engine. And, like the engine it replaces, the new 4.7-liter V-8 engine is flex-fuel capable, which gives customers the ability to use up to an 85 percent concentration of ethanol (E85) to fuel their vehicles.

Improvements in the new 4.7-liter V-8 result from significant revisions to the induction system, a lightweight piston/rod assembly and reduced accessory drive noise through lower accessory drive speed. Engine smoothness at idle is enhanced with a new cam design, two spark plugs per cylinder and a valve-lash adjuster system. The new 4.7-liter V-8 also is equipped with electronic throttle control."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Didn't know those were plastic wheel covers and at least they won't rust! LOL. Thanks for the info!

Wish that 2008 was a little closer but only 35 miles away. If I'm real interested may see if they'll knock a couple grand off the price.

Unread 06-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #20
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

I was searching almost everyday after work for about 2 months till I found the jeep I wanted. I ended up getting a 2005 limited with the Hemi and every option available for 11k about a year and a half ago. The Hemi is a beast. Even after sticking a lift and bigger tires on it the thing shows no signs even having anything added to it. Smoked a few ricers with it who thought they were cool with their "fast" cars yet the Hemi still pulled out ahead. It takes time to find the right jeep for you but you'll find it!
Unread 06-19-2013, 11:54 PM   #21
modernblueWK

2008 laredo x has leather, sunroof, boston stereo and new 4.7 v8 as options.

I found that the laredo x had a black leather steering wheel instead of grey or tan. All the 1 year old limiteds i found had a lot of wear on the steering wheels and on the lighter colored leather. Also body colored trim and grill vs chrome.
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2013, 12:52 AM   #22
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

The search goes on and just showing some patience. Think the below 2008 4.7 Limited is selling for a real good price at $13,425 from a dealer in kind of a pricey area in Central Ohio (Dublin). A little higher mileage than I was looking for at 98K miles but not real high. Don't quite understand why this one's selling for about $3K-$4.5K less than most the other 2008 Limited's I've seen listed around here?

It has a clean carfax report although not much on service records. Leased by 2 separate people/owners over the last 5 years. It was up at Avon Lake, right next to Lake Erie in N. Ohio, for 3 years. I'll have to check the underside closely for rust because they salt the roads up there even more than down here!

http://www.crownchryslerdublin.com/u...3b510bc296.htm

Is the 3.73 rear axle standard for these WK's? My ZJ has the same gear ratio but that's only because I have the tow package.

Wonder what others think about this one/deal? Thanks!

Unread 07-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #23
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Well, I've been going around and around with the dealer by phone on the 2008 4.7 limited in the link the past few days while not even starting on the price bickering. I absolutely hate dealing with used car salesmen and have done it before. Just not seeing any sold by a private owner.

For me the stumbling block is no sign/records of any service the past 5 years by the 2 who have leased it. 2 oil changes 21K miles apart last year and that's it. So a sales guy said he would try to search it out but never did. After pushing them they finally said 2 months ago they replaced the head, the head gasket, the cover, and did a complete tune-up. After hearing that today I told the guy it's evident it hasn't been maintained if the head blew. Are there head problems with these 2008 4.7's and anybody have an input why it blew?

So after showing a real interest by phone/looking at it online a bunch yesterday they raised the price by $573 overnight from $13,425 to $13,998! WTF? The salesman said they did that since the market price just went up and didn't have anything to do with me being interested in it. I told the guy it sure seems odd as soon as I started calling about it because of the good price they raised it. The sales guy got kind of ****ty and told me it may be sold by the time I go up there for the test drive since they do such a big business! Real nice!

Another salesman told me he just took in a super clean 94 limited w/72K miles as a trade in Sunday and asked if I was interested in it? Told him yes and would like to look at it and drive both of them when I go up there in a couple days when he said it's ready to be sold.

So what do you guys think? I'd really appreciate some input and help in becoming a WK or WJ owner. Thanks!

Unread 07-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #24
modernblueWK

I would pass on that 2008 just for the sake of the salesmen suck.
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #25
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernblueWK View Post
I would pass on that 2008 just for the sake of the salesmen suck.
I agree on the 2008. Kinda funny how the price was raised after you showed interest. I bet anything after a couple weeks if you leave it alone the price will drop back down. Can't stand used car salesmen! Also i would be careful to because the blown head gasket may have been cause by a bad overheating which means something with the cooling system may be jacked up.
Unread 07-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #26
Zlartibartfast
2007 WK 

There's a BIG difference between the 1994 ZJ and the 2008 WK (I had a '97, now I have an '07) It's like apples vs oranges. A 19 year old Jeep w/72K miles? That's like it spent 3/4 of it's life parked! I would look at that one - it would be cheaper to modify/upgrade than the WK and you'd have a lot more options
Zlartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 02:14 PM   #27
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Thanks for the input guys! Yeah, I think I'm going to pass on that 2008 because it probably hasn't been maintained. Also thought the same thing that it overheated causing the head to blow.

Well sorry, I made an error and meant a 2004 4.7L Limited WJ rather than a 1994. Just saw it listed today where it went on the market and it has 74K miles. There's no photos on their site and I should go look at it/take it for a test drive. It's listed as $10K and maybe I'll be able to talk them down a grand. Wish we weren't having these constant storms because I want to look underneath it while checking it out thoroughly.

Unread 07-30-2013, 01:35 AM   #28
HEMI35
2007 WK 

I would go for a lower year hemi for the same price, there is no comparison even from a 4.7 and a hemi
Unread 07-30-2013, 09:52 AM   #29
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Thanks for all the input guys and I did end up buying the 2004 4.7 WJ Limited with quadra-drive for $10.3K out the door on July 13. Was able to knock the original price down from $10K to $9.5K since it needed tires and brakes. I've already put new tires on it and have all the parts for brakes all around.

The main reason I went with it, besides the good price, is the low mileage (74K), free power-train warranty up to 100K miles (26K left), and it is really good looking along with a nice ride. The only WK on the lot was the 2008 4.7, as already mentioned it had been repaired with a blown head maybe from overheating, and had no warranty at all because of 98K miles.

I'm sure someday I'll be upgrading to a WK and sure appreciate all I've learned about them in this thread. Thanks again for all the great input/info!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.