Buying and 07 CRD and have questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Buying and 07 CRD and have questions

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!2003-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight Dark Background wi

Unread 03-10-2014, 02:01 PM   #1
kf4zht
2007 WK 

Buying and 07 CRD and have questions

After looking for a few months I am rejoining the Jeep crowd with an 07 WK CRD. Went and test drove it Friday and going to pick it up Saturday. Right now it has almost 100k on it. While looking it over I noticed the accessory belt was cracking slightly. Figured I would go ahead and service most of the wear items that may have been done at 60k.

Couple of questions on this:
Diffs are 90w140 with an additive - Can you get this additive anywhere but Chrysler?
Trans - From what I understand you have to add your own dipstick and take the temperature of the transmission to change it, is this correct?
T-case - Will other fluids work or is the Mopar one only?

The PO had an MSD gauge box on the dash, looks kind of like this: https://www.edgeproducts.com/product.php?pk=98&pvk=293 I could not find it anywhere on MSD's website. I did notice that when I first started it up the EGTs went up to 1200 while it was idling. After driving they went down to 3-500 and stayed there. Was this the DPF regen running? I also pulled the codes and saw that it had a pending DPF performance code. Since I am planning on a delete and tune I wasn't too concerned.

Finally the back of the jeep has a "Powered By Startech" badge, and the engine has a Brabus sticker on the top. Doing some looking around it appears that this is a tuner out of Europe and is hard to get in the US. Does anyone know what the tuner looks like or where it plugs in? Want to see if it has it or if someone just bought the sticker.

I plan on going with GDE for the DPF delete. If I have the startech tuner are they worth anything? I didn't see any on ebay.

Sure I will have more questions, for now I am getting parts/supplies together so that I can run through the maintenance when I get it.

kf4zht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2014, 02:50 PM   #2
jaje
2007 WK 

Go to this to get more info on the WK CRD: http://conflictedracer.wordpress.com...erokee-diesel/

No experience with other tuners aside from GDE.
#74 Exocet - NASA ST3 / E0
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2014, 05:35 PM   #3
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4zht View Post
Trans - From what I understand you have to add your own dipstick and take the temperature of the transmission to change it, is this correct?
I bought a dipstick that you only use when measuring the fluid level. After you're done, you take it out and put the cap back on the fill tube.
Actually, I just changed the trans fluid and filter today. Pretty easy to do and measure with the dipstick and fluid level chart. For the fluid temperature (and many other readings) I have a ScanGauge II, which is probably similar to what's installed on yours.
I've heard of people spending nearly $200 or more at a dealer to have the trans fluid and filter changed. I spent $58.17!
caddydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2014, 06:08 PM   #4
BAH101
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddydaddy
I bought a dipstick that you only use when measuring the fluid level. After you're done, you take it out and put the cap back on the fill tube. Actually, I just changed the trans fluid and filter today. Pretty easy to do and measure with the dipstick and fluid level chart. For the fluid temperature (and many other readings) I have a ScanGauge II, which is probably similar to what's installed on yours. I've heard of people spending nearly $200 or more at a dealer to have the trans fluid and filter changed. I spent $58.17!
Scan gauge will read the CRD tranny temp?
Unread 03-10-2014, 08:07 PM   #5
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAH101 View Post
Scan gauge will read the CRD tranny temp?
Yes, if you add the gauge codes for it. I emailed them to ask if the trans temp could be read, and one of their techs emailed me back, and asked me to enter some numbers to get codes from the PCM and TCM. After that, he sent me back the codes to enter a trans temp gauge.
I'm working with them now to figure out how to get the EGT. He sent me codes for the Post Catalyst Temps, but that didn't work.
Unread 03-10-2014, 09:49 PM   #6
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

Welcome back and sounds like a good purchase. Jaje write up is excellent so I recommend reading that.

Diff - use a 75W140. The diff additive you can get at most dealerships or online amazon and such. I usually get mine at the dealership because it close to my work and its not anymore than you can get online.
Trans - Yes get a dipstick kit and use it just to change the fluid. Caddydaddy took care of that one.
T-Case - I would use Mopar fluid. I use Mopar for transfer case and transmission. Others fluids you can choose from any major supplier.
The MSD is a pretty much an edge. Yes, you were having a regen. They last about ten minutes give or take. If you have another in less than 700 miles your DPF is probably done for with that code.
The startech tuner is just like a GDE tuner. You just flash the program through the OBD2 port. You need the Startech scanner to see if its been tuned and return it to stock before you can load a GDE tune. The tuner isn't really worth that much maybe a couple hundred. Each one is locked to that tuning dealer, so you have to run startech tunes on that tuner and so forth. GDE tuning is the way to go.
2007 3.0L CRD WK LTD - Mine, Custom Spooling Tune - Stage 2 Performance DPF & EGR Delete, Custom Cold Air Intake , 3" Intercooler, Turbo Resonator Delete, DPF Delete Pipe, Devil's Own Methanol Injection, SM resistor plug, SRT8 rear springs, SRT8 rear sway bar; 255/70/17 Hankook ATM's, dechromed stock wheels
2003 F250 6.0L CCLB - Gearhead Tunes
tnadanzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 07:02 AM   #7
BAH101
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddydaddy
Yes, if you add the gauge codes for it. I emailed them to ask if the trans temp could be read, and one of their techs emailed me back, and asked me to enter some numbers to get codes from the PCM and TCM. After that, he sent me back the codes to enter a trans temp gauge. I'm working with them now to figure out how to get the EGT. He sent me codes for the Post Catalyst Temps, but that didn't work.
Thanks, I guess I'll just have to get one then.
Unread 03-11-2014, 08:30 AM   #8
pawwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddydaddy View Post
Yes, if you add the gauge codes for it. I emailed them to ask if the trans temp could be read, and one of their techs emailed me back, and asked me to enter some numbers to get codes from the PCM and TCM. After that, he sent me back the codes to enter a trans temp gauge.
I'm working with them now to figure out how to get the EGT. He sent me codes for the Post Catalyst Temps, but that didn't work.
I hadn't bought the scangauge since it couldn't do tranny temps for the crd - do you have the codes for the trans temp that you could share? thanks a ton.
pawwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 09:09 AM   #9
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawwright View Post
I hadn't bought the scangauge since it couldn't do tranny temps for the crd - do you have the codes for the trans temp that you could share? thanks a ton.
Give this a try!

Transmission Fluid Temperature (Degrees Fahrenheit)
TXD: 07E0214C
RXF: 0561064C0000
RXD: 4010
MTH: 00090032FE35
NAM: TFT
Unread 03-11-2014, 09:20 AM   #10
pawwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddydaddy View Post
Give this a try!

Transmission Fluid Temperature (Degrees Fahrenheit)
TXD: 07E0214C
RXF: 0561064C0000
RXD: 4010
MTH: 00090032FE35
NAM: TFT
very cool - thanks very much, am going to order the scangauge for sure now.
pawwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 12:51 PM   #11
kf4zht
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnadanzig View Post
Welcome back and sounds like a good purchase. Jaje write up is excellent so I recommend reading that.

Diff - use a 75W140. The diff additive you can get at most dealerships or online amazon and such. I usually get mine at the dealership because it close to my work and its not anymore than you can get online.
Trans - Yes get a dipstick kit and use it just to change the fluid. Caddydaddy took care of that one.
T-Case - I would use Mopar fluid. I use Mopar for transfer case and transmission. Others fluids you can choose from any major supplier.
The MSD is a pretty much an edge. Yes, you were having a regen. They last about ten minutes give or take. If you have another in less than 700 miles your DPF is probably done for with that code.
The startech tuner is just like a GDE tuner. You just flash the program through the OBD2 port. You need the Startech scanner to see if its been tuned and return it to stock before you can load a GDE tune. The tuner isn't really worth that much maybe a couple hundred. Each one is locked to that tuning dealer, so you have to run startech tunes on that tuner and so forth. GDE tuning is the way to go.
Sweet, I have 6 bottles of 75w140 that I was going to use for the F250. Since I plan on adding a truetrac I didn't want to use the expensive stuff for break in. That saves me a few bucks, but I have to get the additive
T case sounds easy, just need to hit up the dealer
Transmission - Going to wait till I have the jeep and make sure I can read the temp. Also need to find the PN for the dipstick, but I think I came across it already

Is there any issues if I can't find the startech box? GDE can just overwrite the whole thing, correct?
Also do I have to do both the pipe and tune at the exact same time or can I do the tune first, or the pipe first, etc? Also if I know the DPF is going away can I use the lower spec oil before I change the pipe? I am getting married soon so trying to find a big enough block of time to get everything done at once is hard.
kf4zht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 02:07 PM   #12
jediknight
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4zht
After looking for a few months I am rejoining the Jeep crowd with an 07 WK CRD. Went and test drove it Friday and going to pick it up Saturday. Right now it has almost 100k on it. While looking it over I noticed the accessory belt was cracking slightly. Figured I would go ahead and service most of the wear items that may have been done at 60k. Couple of questions on this: Diffs are 90w140 with an additive - Can you get this additive anywhere but Chrysler? Trans - From what I understand you have to add your own dipstick and take the temperature of the transmission to change it, is this correct? T-case - Will other fluids work or is the Mopar one only? The PO had an MSD gauge box on the dash, looks kind of like this: https://www.edgeproducts.com/product.php?pk=98&pvk=293 I could not find it anywhere on MSD's website. I did notice that when I first started it up the EGTs went up to 1200 while it was idling. After driving they went down to 3-500 and stayed there. Was this the DPF regen running? I also pulled the codes and saw that it had a pending DPF performance code. Since I am planning on a delete and tune I wasn't too concerned. Finally the back of the jeep has a "Powered By Startech" badge, and the engine has a Brabus sticker on the top. Doing some looking around it appears that this is a tuner out of Europe and is hard to get in the US. Does anyone know what the tuner looks like or where it plugs in? Want to see if it has it or if someone just bought the sticker. I plan on going with GDE for the DPF delete. If I have the startech tuner are they worth anything? I didn't see any on ebay. Sure I will have more questions, for now I am getting parts/supplies together so that I can run through the maintenance when I get it.

Before you go any further, you MUST know if your jeep is realy equipped with the startech adapters and module or is it just stickers fooling around. They are rare but they are there. Usually the startech / brabus equipment sits behind the coolant reservoir and you'll see a green little blinking light. After this, if you'd like to tune it up remove the module and its loom and go ahead with the tune.

Note: probably previous owner has already removed it and sold it seperatly since they can be expensive.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.