burning "smell" issue and "gas pedal vibration" issue in 07 gc laredo - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > burning "smell" issue and "gas pedal vibration" issue in 07 gc laredo

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 01-07-2007, 11:58 AM   #1
beepbeep13
2011 WK 

burning "smell" issue and "gas pedal vibration" issue in 07 gc laredo

hi everyone, just picked up an 07 laredo x pkg last week...

ive noticed a couple of things that i wanted to check in on...

first of all, i noticed there is a "burning" smell... i can sometimes smell it when i am in the car while driving.... but i can usually always smell it after i stop and actually get out of the car... another thing i noticed, which may or may not be related, is that my engine coolant is already down to the "add" line... i did not pay attention to where this was filled up to when i bought the car, so i dont know if it was already a little low when i bought it, and i also dont know if it is normal to go through more coolant than normal when you first run the vehicle...

i also didnt know if this smell was "normal" on a new car... but as i am nearing a week in service and about 400 miles, i am startting to get concerned because the smell has not gone away...

i also think i noticed a steam/smoke rise from under the hood at one point, but it was also raining so i didn't really take note at the time.,,

the second issue is that i can sometimes feel intermittent vibrations on my accelarator pedal... they seem to have no relation to anything (ie, not dependent on whether i am accellerating, coasting, on different road surfaces, etc) this vibration just seems to come and go without provocation...

the vibration is very small.. and some people driving may not even njotice it unless they were really paying attention and "looking" to feel it...

all that said, i am not noticing any performance issues or otherwise..,, wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this, and what should be my next step, if any... thanks!!!!

beepbeep13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2007, 03:40 PM   #2
PugetHound

Sounds as if your baking the the paint on your motor, all new engines kind of smell like they are burning for the first 2-3k miles. The smell is gone on mine after 5k. Whats your temp gauge reading ? Add some coolant and don't worry about it unless it goes down again.

Can't help you with the vibration issue, sorry, could be a million things.

06 Commander Limited 5.7 Hemi !
PugetHound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2007, 06:53 PM   #3
beepbeep13
2011 WK 

temp reading is normal, so maybe that's it!

thanks for the reply!
beepbeep13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2007, 12:56 PM   #4
JTS97Z28

No clue about the smell however you seem to be describing a vibration that sounds very similar to what im experiencing. About 1,500 miles ago I brought my 05 Hemi in for front end whine. They fixed the whine however now I notice a weird pulsating vibration mainly felt in the pedals and is intermittent with throttle position. It seems most noticeable after coasting and then accelerating again. Best way to explain is what I think to be the torque converter engaging or as the RPM's drop down. I swear it started after they did the front ring and pinion work. Someone mentioned they may have not mark matched the driveshaft. I am having a very hard time getting a dealership to fix it. The tech finally felt it however he said he has no clue what it is and thats as far as I got.

JT
JTS97Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2007, 07:06 PM   #5
beepbeep13
2011 WK 

hmm. i wouldnt really describe it as "pulsating"... i know it's really hard to explain things like this over a message board... but i would describe what i am feeling similar to maybe what it would feel like if you took a... well, for lack of a better description... what it would feel like if you took a vibrator, and touched it against the gas pedal... and the "second hand" vibration you would then feel through the vibrator through the pedal is what i feel...

it's a very tiny vibration that is very quick, and as i said, probably would be unnoticable unless you were really concentrating and trying to feel it...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.