build help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > build help

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-03-2014, 08:13 AM   #1
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

build help

HI Guys,

I am helping a friend install a lift in his 06' wk 4.7. I do not spend a lot of time in the WK segment but I have looked through some WK builds to get an idea of what is needed.

The following is what we have planned, please let me know what else is needed and any helpful hints for the install.

Purchased Kolak's OME 3" lift which has new springs, struts, shocks, isolators, and top plates. We did not purchase extended swaybar links or an adjustable TB which I believe is necessary from my zj/wj experience.

I have asked my friend to purchase this upper a-arm setup, but I am not sure he will. : http://www.rocky-road.com/wk-grand-c...ntrol-arm.html

Here are my questions to you guys:

1) at 3", will extended swaybar links be necessary?

2) will my friend need an adjustable TB to center the rear axle? (I believe so)

3) How quickly do you guys experience upper ball-joint failure when lifted?

4) Anyone running the rocky-road a-arm?

5) How much larger of a tire can my friend use before he has issues with "the bolt" on factory wheels? I do not know what his plans are for tires or wheels, but he will go larger. A spacer will be needed I assume.

Thanks for the help.

98 ZJ 5.2L JGC Limited Sold
02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
ZJPunk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2014, 08:23 AM   #2
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

1. They are not necessary, plenty of people running stock.

2. An adjustable TB isnt "needed" but it can help. Generally people dont run an adjustable TB until they put a modified OME or bigger lift on.

3. It all depends. I have seen some people not make it 100k miles before failure. Im at 120k miles and mine are still good.

4. There are a few people running RRO UCA's. Most however run JBA UCA's. People were having problems with RRO UCA's not being the correct size and a little smaller that JBA's which caused the bushing to start coming out and creating metal on metal noise. Ive heard they have since fixed the issue though.

5. If your friend plans to stick with factory rims spacers will 9 times out of 10 be needed. With the OME lift many people run 265/70/17's with no issues.
Unread 02-03-2014, 09:03 AM   #3
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepforthewin View Post
1. They are not necessary, plenty of people running stock.

2. An adjustable TB isnt "needed" but it can help. Generally people dont run an adjustable TB until they put a modified OME or bigger lift on.

3. It all depends. I have seen some people not make it 100k miles before failure. Im at 120k miles and mine are still good.

4. There are a few people running RRO UCA's. Most however run JBA UCA's. People were having problems with RRO UCA's not being the correct size and a little smaller that JBA's which caused the bushing to start coming out and creating metal on metal noise. Ive heard they have since fixed the issue though.

5. If your friend plans to stick with factory rims spacers will 9 times out of 10 be needed. With the OME lift many people run 265/70/17's with no issues.
^^^ Pretty much this.

2. An adjustable rear tracbar IS needed to center the axle even with the standard OME lift. However, until this lift is boosted or modified, the axle center is only slightly pulled to the driver side - nearly unnoticed.

3. This really depends on usage IMO. Drive it hard/wheel it hard consistently and the ball joints will fail sooner. I've had my WK lifted with stock arms for over 2 years - modified since last summer - no issues that I can tell with the ball joints. Granted - as soon as I post this my ball joints will explode as it sits in the driveway.............

5. This can depend largely on the tire selection and aggressiveness of the tread/shoulder. In general, 1.25 or 1.5 inch spacers are used in combination with stock wheels and 255/75 or 265/70 tires. 285/70s can and will fit but may require a little more work. It should be noted that the bolt is not the only obstacle with this platform when it comes to fitting bigger meats with no rubbing anywhere through the entire travel/turn of all 4 corners. Pinch weld and rear fender modifications are very commonly done.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2014, 09:55 AM   #4
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

Thanks for the replies, I have read about the pinch weld removal and rear bumper trimming. I will push for him to get an adjustable TB, as I think it is necessary. Please definite a "modified" OME lift.

02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
Unread 02-03-2014, 10:29 AM   #5
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJPunk98 View Post
Thanks for the replies, I have read about the pinch weld removal and rear bumper trimming. I will push for him to get an adjustable TB, as I think it is necessary. Please definite a "modified" OME lift.
Don't confuse my post regarding the adjustable tb as it being necessary.

For an OME lift, the stock tb will be fine and will not effect driveability or functionality of the rig/lift. I simply meant that in order to center the rear axle side to side it will be needed. Again, until the OME lift is modified, the rear axle is pulled to the driver side only very slightly - minimally noticeable to the eye.

As far as a modified OME it just means that other components are added to the lift to get up to 1/2" more (really don't want to exceed that particularly up front). This is done in the form of strut spacers, adjustable struts, rear spacers, xtra coil isolators, F-150 Monroe Load leveling shocks in the rear, etc. Not all of these combined rather some combination of them in order to get more lift.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2014, 07:03 PM   #6
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

i have seen the ford levelers in a few builds. Thank you for the advice. Any more helpful hints while installing his lift?

02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
Unread 04-13-2014, 10:05 AM   #7
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

bump... any helpful hints with this install? Its going in tomorrow. My friend did purhcase the RRO uca's to go along with his lift. Any insight you guys have is much appreciated. Thanks

02 4.7L HO JGC Overland

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.