Budget Boost Long-Term Update - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Budget Boost Long-Term Update

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 05-13-2013, 12:54 AM   #1
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

Budget Boost Long-Term Update

It's been a LONG while since being active on here, but I thought I would add this to the JeepForum collective.

The '05 has been chugging along much neglected when this past week a metal on metal clunking has developed in the rear. I finally crawled underneath and the rear coil spacer has just been completely obliterated. It's completely gone and what could not fall out through the springs is just hanging around the bottom of the coil doing nothing useful.

100K on that lift, and nearly 6 years I think. 130K on the Jeep total. Just a heads up, I guess these things can wear out.

I think I have a Skyjacker lift [EDIT - it was a TerraFlex Lift], but won't be sure till I talk to the guys at the shop where it was installed tomorrow to see what my options are.

On a side note, I have a transmission shudder when going from reverse to drive. I topped off the fluid which seemed to help for a day or two but the shudder came back. Time for a filter and fluid swap? Or am I missing something? I haven't had a ton of spare time to search and I'm not sure it's worth a second thread of its own. Other than that, the transmission seems to be operating normally.

And just because I'm a photo whore:

Unread 05-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #2
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

Updated, it's a TerraFlex spacer in the rear and my buddy's shop manager has only heard of one failing before... on a Grand. So, there we are.

Shockingly, and whether this is do to my buddy and who he is or just overall awesome customer service, they're going to warranty the parts and labor. So, two new spacers are heading my way.

Awesome.
Unread 05-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
kVon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas WJ View Post
Updated, it's a TerraFlex spacer in the rear and my buddy's shop manager has only heard of one failing before... on a Grand. So, there we are.

Shockingly, and whether this is do to my buddy and who he is or just overall awesome customer service, they're going to warranty the parts and labor. So, two new spacers are heading my way.

Awesome.
Are the spacers poly or steel?
Red WK Club Member #30
kVon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #4
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

Poly in the rear.

The front are steel.
Unread 05-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #5
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas WJ View Post

Awesome.
Awesome indeed!

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #6
Ben824
1997 XJ Cherokee 

The transmission filters have a life of 100,000 miles. So you are definitely due for a change! You can do a complete system flush but there is conflicting opinion as to whether this is necessary or even good for the transmission on these Jeeps. But the basic drain the pan and change the filter service is always recommended. Remember unlike on an engine, only about 20-25% of the total amount of fluid in the transmission is in the pan. Most of the fluid stays in the transmission so when they drain the pan and refill it with about 5 quarts of fluid, they are only replacing a portion of the total amount of fluid and there will still be old fluid in the transmission that the new 5 quarts will mix with.
Ben824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 04:29 PM   #7
lekmedm
2007 XK Commander 

Someone once explained the tranny drain/flush controversy this way. There are transmissions that do not have serviceable filters. They have built-in screens that pull out contaminants from the fluid. These trannys can be flushed because the machine pushes the fresh fluid backwards through the system, which helps clean out the screen. Somehow this doesn't damage any internals. While out trannys use replaceable filters, if you were to push fresh fluid backwards through the system, you would still have a somewhat dirty filter(s). Perhaps pushing the dirty nasty stuff can also clog up the internals in ours?

Anyway, since our documentation specifies a drain and fill with new filters, that's what I always do.
2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Wrangler Silent Armors / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Caroline Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / Activated: DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29 Chrome CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights / Sylvania Silverstars Ultra hi/low & yellow fogs / Optima yellow top
"4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman
lekmedm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 08:04 AM   #8
paroxysym
2007 WK 

glad to read this, as i have been wondering the long term deterioration of the poly style spacers on my WK. no granted my daystar BB only has roughly 45k on it, ill be looking at the rear spacers this weekend when i swap out my swaybar links.

did you take a look at the front spacers?
Unread 05-19-2013, 11:34 PM   #9
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

The front spaces are looking fine, but they're metal.

The rear had developed a sag, the extent of which I had not realized till I got the Jeep back on Friday. Man, I knew something looked "off" at the rear. This Jeep spends a good deal of time on rutted, wash-boarded, dirt roads so you're mileage may vary.

And I agree with y'all on the filter and fluid swap. I'll have that done when I get the Jeep in for that recall later this month. Can't hurt and doesn't really cost that much.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.