Broken door handles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Broken door handles

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 08-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
lafacej
2004 WJ 

Broken door handles

I know it's probably been posted here before but I have one of the classic broken door handles on my 05 limited. I saw the replacements online for 30-40 each I think. Does anyone know how easy these are to do or if I'm better off doing fiberglass behind the door panel to strengthen the broken are?

Thanks!

lafacej is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
justinmiller930
2005 WK 

I'm having the same problem with my 05. It seems like the inside door handle is rather hard to open. I have to pull mine almost clear out for them to open the door.
justinmiller930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
lafacej
2004 WJ 

Mine still seem to open fine it just feels loose and disconnected from the panel
Unread 08-19-2013, 02:10 AM   #4
scootter82
2009 WK 

I'd love to get a stronger door handle. They just feel kind of cheap. Like I could break it off if I pulled too hard.
Unread 08-19-2013, 09:15 AM   #5
lafacej
2004 WJ 

I saw online that they make replacement ones but I'm not sure how exactly they go in
Unread 08-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #6
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

According to Jeep you are supposed to replace the entire door panel due to the way the handles are attached. Search the forums about it and there are a couple people who came up with ways to replace just the handle area itself and nothing else.
Unread 08-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
lafacej
2004 WJ 

That's what I found, you just need to drill out the plastic rivet/slugs then use a self tapping (short) screw and washer to put the new handle area in. $30 a piece on eBay, I ordered one to give it a try as I only have one bad door handle
Unread 08-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #8
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

File a complaint with the NHSTA and maybe It will be a recall.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Is the OEM fix about $800 per door for the panel?
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 01:51 PM   #9
lafacej
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Xk
File a complaint with the NHSTA and maybe It will be a recall.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Is the OEM fix about $800 per door for the panel?
I did file, likely nothing will come of it. But yeah I got an estimate of 769 per door I think. Only 1 of mine is broken but I will be fixing it Friday or Saturday when my new handle comes in. I'll put up some pics to show how it looks
Unread 08-25-2013, 10:01 AM   #10
lafacej
2004 WJ 

I fixed my door handle today with the replacement handle from parts pros and it only took me about 20 minutes total including removing and replacing the door. Looks perfect and the directions are very simple. Def going to do my other doors if I start to notice a problem.

image-3554457363.jpg

image-3659686712.jpg

image-543569759.jpg

image-1532305140.jpg
Unread 08-25-2013, 10:10 AM   #11
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafacej
I fixed my door handle today with the replacement handle from parts pros and it only took me about 20 minutes total including removing and replacing the door. Looks perfect and the directions are very simple. Def going to do my other doors if I start to notice a problem.
You just screw the new one in it looks like? I know some people have filed the plastic took the old one off then remelted the plastic to lock the new one in place. How much for the replacement and how is the quality?
Unread 08-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #12
lafacej
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepforthewin

You just screw the new one in it looks like? I know some people have filed the plastic took the old one off then remelted the plastic to lock the new one in place. How much for the replacement and how is the quality?
Yeah they're really short self tapping screws. It was only 30 bucks with free shipping and the quality seems great so far it feels much sturdier and less brittle than the OEM and the color match is about perfect.
Unread 08-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #13
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafacej

Yeah they're really short self tapping screws. It was only 30 bucks with free shipping and the quality seems great so far it feels much sturdier and less brittle than the OEM and the color match is about perfect.
Nice! I will have to check the website out I've been using a broken handle for about a year now
Unread 08-26-2013, 08:01 AM   #14
blue3
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepforthewin View Post
The new one has to slip on the old posts, which have mushroomed tops to them. So the new one doesn't slip right on, you have to modify the mushroom tops somehow.
We ended up using a dremel to trim them, and the self taping screws worked well to attach it all. Hopefully the screws don't come loose with usage. They are very short and are going into plastic, so that concerns me.
blue3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 08:11 AM   #15
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue3 View Post
The new one has to slip on the old posts, which have mushroomed tops to them. So the new one doesn't slip right on, you have to modify the mushroom tops somehow.
We ended up using a dremel to trim them, and the self taping screws worked well to attach it all. Hopefully the screws don't come loose with usage. They are very short and are going into plastic, so that concerns me.
That is true. I may end up putting some Gorilla Glue around the edges and then the screws just incase they do come loose.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.