Brakes locking up! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Brakes locking up!

New jk doors from steinjagerOconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 11-06-2012, 05:55 AM   #1
Surfer01
2005 WK 

Brakes locking up!

Vehicle has been standing for 3 days and this morning went to move it and it seems as if though the brakes have locked up. Rocked it back and forth a few times and then was able to reverse, however on going forward, brakes locked up.
Can move backwards, but only a few feet forward before they lock up again. Although weather has been cool not exactly cold. This is a 4 x 4 that should cope with any weather thrown at it.
We are beginning to regret buying this Jeep as it has been back for repair every week since we purchased it! Breakdown mechanic has stated it is the rear brake calliper that keeps activating.
Any one with any ideas please. It is the 2005 GC 3.0L CRD with 61,000 miles on the clock!

Surfer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2012, 08:15 AM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Most likely just corrosion on the rotors making the pads stick a little.Should go away after driving a few miles and gently applying the brakes.

Humid climates and unprotected steel/iron makes rust.
Unread 11-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #3
Surfer01
2005 WK 

In this case the calliper is self activating. If you put if in "Drive" and let it creep, it creeps for about 20 - 30 yards and then the brake applies on its own on the rear right hand side. If you then reverse, it releases and then locks on again after about the same distance.
Calliper is activating itself and locking up the wheel On jacking up the vehicle left hand rear wheel rotates freely, but right hand one remains firmly locked on and you cannot budge it. Eventually they uplifted it.
Unread 11-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
DieselDevotion
2007 WK 

Sounds like your quadratrac system is messing up. It applies the brake to a spinning wheel to divert the power to the wheel with traction. Could be one of many things to cause this, you'll be pretty lucky if its just a wheel speed sensor. After hearing this I'm really glad I have quadradrive with electronic lockers!
DieselDevotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer01 View Post
In this case the calliper is self activating. If you put if in "Drive" and let it creep, it creeps for about 20 - 30 yards and then the brake applies on its own on the rear right hand side. If you then reverse, it releases and then locks on again after about the same distance.
Calliper is activating itself and locking up the wheel On jacking up the vehicle left hand rear wheel rotates freely, but right hand one remains firmly locked on and you cannot budge it. Eventually they uplifted it.
Did you try turning your ESP/traction control off . I think you hold the button for 10s or so untill it registers on your info center .
00 WJ 4.0
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2012, 02:36 AM   #6
Surfer01
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzjwk View Post
Did you try turning your ESP/traction control off . I think you hold the button for 10s or so untill it registers on your info center .
Didn't even think of it. It has also been suggested that the ABS sensor could be faulty.
Unread 11-07-2012, 03:14 AM   #7
Surfer01
2005 WK 

Update:- Dealer has phoned to say that the issue is with the rear drum brake for the handbrake. Apparently the vehicle has disc and drum brakes on the rear. I ad no idea it had two types of braking on the rear.
Unread 11-07-2012, 03:19 AM   #8
DieselDevotion
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer01
Update:- Dealer has phoned to say that the issue is with the rear drum brake for the handbrake. Apparently the vehicle has disc and drum brakes on the rear. I ad no idea it had two types of braking on the rear.
On the inside of the disc hub is a drum style brake for the e brake. Every vehicle with rear disc brakes that I've worked on has these.
DieselDevotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2012, 05:55 AM   #9
Surfer01
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDevotion View Post
On the inside of the disc hub is a drum style brake for the e brake. Every vehicle with rear disc brakes that I've worked on has these.
I have never had an issue with rear brakes so not even sure if I have had a car with the combination brakes.
Unread 11-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #10
oldfamilyguy

Some of the parking brake shoes have a bad habit of falling apart, the lining material separates from the metal shoe. Too much heat from driving with the brake accidently left on will do it, but they fall apart on their own too. This will cause it to jam up just like yours is doing. I would say this is the most likely culprit. Remove rear disc and have a look, easy diy to replace. It could be ABS and trac control systems acting up as suggested but usually you would get warning light on.
oldfamilyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #11
Mainsail
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfamilyguy View Post
Some of the parking brake shoes have a bad habit of falling apart, the lining material separates from the metal shoe. Too much heat from driving with the brake accidently left on will do it, but they fall apart on their own too. This will cause it to jam up just like yours is doing. I would say this is the most likely culprit. Remove rear disc and have a look, easy diy to replace. It could be ABS and trac control systems acting up as suggested but usually you would get warning light on.
This is what happened to mine. One of the pads broke off the lining in the E-brake, jamming itself as the wheel turned. I took the disks off on both sides and chiseled the linings off the rest of them until I could replace.

I think it happened because the E-brake was seldom used by the previous owner, and when I started using it, the pad broke off.

Have you recently started using the parking brake?
Unread 11-08-2012, 05:11 AM   #12
Surfer01
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfamilyguy View Post
As above the brake fell apart jamming the wheel after moving a few yards. I have always used parking brake, but previously owner may have only used "park".
Unread 11-08-2012, 08:01 AM   #13
oldfamilyguy

If you didn't already, change both sides. The other one could be ready to go as well.
oldfamilyguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.